Username: Password:

Author Topic: Getting a C&R license in Phoenix  (Read 13450 times)

Craig010

Re: Getting a C&R license in Phoenix
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 07:16:07 pm »
I got my C&R about a year and half ago.  No pain to it at all.  As far as the bound book goes, I found an .xls file that I printed out and put in a loose leaf binder and meets the requirements.  I focus on military arms, mostly bolt action but have a couple of semi's as well and some handguns.  Just the convenience of being able to have things shipped straight to my home address is worth it and not having to mess around with an FFL transfer.
Craig King
King's Armory, LLC
Sierra Vista, AZ  85635
http://www.kingsarmory.biz
Glock Certified Armorer

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 06:41:22 pm »
    My card was charged on December 24th.  So five days from mailing to being billed.

It seems it's progressing.  We'll see what happens next.

-T.

Godrememberme

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 01:23:13 pm »
    I received my C&R Licence in the mail yesterday!!!!  :) I'm kinda surprised it only took them 1 month for them to approve it.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 01:38:22 pm »
    Nice.  A month almost to the day from sending it.

Here's hoping for mine soon.

-T.

coyotesfan97

• Paws before boots!
    • Administrator
    « Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 05:51:31 pm »
    Letters mailed today!  Hoping for a month turn around. 
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.  Thucydides 471BC

"Hey!  Let's be careful out there." Sgt Phil Esterhaus played by Michael Conrad

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 06:16:57 pm »
     :thumbup

-T.

coyotesfan97

• Paws before boots!
    • Administrator
    « Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 10:51:08 pm »
    I just checked my card and saw the $30.00 charge to ATF. Its been five days from mailing.
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.  Thucydides 471BC

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 07:38:23 am »
    You'll have it in no time.  :thumbup

-T.

coyotesfan97

• Paws before boots!
    • Administrator
    « Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 06:09:24 pm »
    I'm hoping. I was encouraged by your turn around time.  Especially since the billing time matched exactly.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 06:46:49 pm »
    They may have a streamlined process for C&Rs.  Who knows.

-T.

TheCol.U.S.M.C.

• Contributor
    Getting a C&R license in Phoenix
    « Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 04:45:03 pm »
    Is there a list some where that has all the C&R firearms on it. Or is it anything 50 years old?

Craig010

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 05:41:54 pm »
    Essentially it only has to be over 50 years old from the current date.  The following is copied from the ATF webpage:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/curios-relics/
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    To be recognized as C&R items, 478.11 specifies that firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;
        Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
        Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF’s C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age. However, if you wish for a classification of your particular firearm under categories (b) or (c) above and wish your item to be listed, you may submit the weapon to the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) for a formal classification.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can find a link on the right hand side for the pdf document that lists items currently on the list, but as stated above, and item doesn't have to be on the list to qualify as C&R.  The real problem is that a LOT of dealers don't know the law and will try not to sell items as C&R even though the weapon qualifies.

~Craig
    Craig King
    King's Armory, LLC
    Sierra Vista, AZ  85635
    http://www.kingsarmory.biz
    Glock Certified Armorer

RetroG

• Contributor
    « Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 01:20:12 am »
    So anything made in 1962 or earlier would qualify?  Cool!

NicVerAZ

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2013, 11:57:03 am »
    I still do not quite understand what the advantage of a C&R license is, besides the fact that I can get a C&R shipped directly to my house, without going through an FFL?

I am curious to know.

Thanks for the information, as usual!

JesseL

• Administrator
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #39 on: May 13, 2013, 12:01:56 pm »
    I still do not quite understand what the advantage of a C&R license is, besides the fact that I can get a C&R shipped directly to my house, without going through an FFL?

I am curious to know.

Thanks for the information, as usual!

For a serious collector, getting C&R guns shipped directly to your house is a big advantage when you figure that most dealers will charge at least $20 to handle a transfer for you plus all the extra hassle of having to get your dealer's FFL info off to wherever you're buying the gun from, picking it up, filling out a 4473, etc.

Plus the C&R license gets you dealer discounts from places like MidwayUSA, Brownell's, Graf & Sons. Those discounts can pay for the cost of the license in one order.

NicVerAZ

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2013, 12:08:21 pm »
    For a serious collector, getting C&R guns shipped directly to your house is a big advantage when you figure that most dealers will charge at least $20 to handle a transfer for you plus all the extra hassle of having to get your dealer's FFL info off to wherever you're buying the gun from, picking it up, filling out a 4473, etc.

Plus the C&R license gets you dealer discounts from places like MidwayUSA, Brownell's, Graf & Sons. Those discounts can pay for the cost of the license in one order.

I see. By "shipped directly" you mean you still have to pick it up at UPS?

These days I don't feel ready to see a relic sit in the Phoenix sun for hours.

JesseL

• Administrator
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #41 on: May 13, 2013, 12:10:54 pm »
    I see. By "shipped directly" you mean you still have to pick it up at UPS?

These days I don't feel ready to see a relic sit in the Phoenix sun for hours.

You can have it sent straight to your front door, but having UPS hold it is another option.

Legally (if you can get your employer and the seller to go along with it) you could have it shipped to your place of work too. I actually asked my BATF inspector about that.

NicVerAZ

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 10:25:50 am »
    I am filling up the form now but I cannot find the fee I have to pay.

Does anyone know the address of the web page with these instructions?

Thanks in advance!

JesseL

• Administrator
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 10:30:46 am »
    The instructions for the form are on page 4, which say near the top:
    The fee for this license is $30 for three years. You can pay by credit/debit card (if you chose this option, complete item #8)  or check or money order made payable to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Make sure you're using the current form here:
    http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5310-16.pdf

You can fill out the whole thing on your computer, then print it out, initial, and sign it. It will automatically fill in the duplicate info across all the copies, which is nice.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement