Username: Password:

Author Topic: Reloaders - Get your check books ready  (Read 4239 times)

anm2_man

• Contributor
Reloaders - Get your check books ready
« on: August 01, 2019, 01:31:29 pm »
THE NEW Dillon XL750.   Read about it here -> https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl750-reloader_8_1_26745.html
"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Curmudgeon

Re: Reloaders - Get your check books ready
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 06:48:11 pm »
    THE NEW Dillon XL750.   Read about it here -> https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl750-reloader_8_1_26745.html

Interesting.  But I wouldn't get rid of either of my 650's to buy one

delta6

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 07:08:33 pm »
    Interesting.  But I wouldn't get rid of either of my 650's to buy one

Looks like a step backwards.....????????

Intel6

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 07:37:01 am »
    I feel the same way,  a step backwards.  I have been using my 650 with the rotary priming system since i got it in 1995 and I have no desire to switch.

lesptr

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 08:06:43 am »
    I have a 550, so I’m not sure what the change was, or how it’s a step backwards. Can someone sum it up for me?

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 10:14:58 am »
    I am going to stop by Dillon today and find out what is different about the 750.  I am not going to purchase one because I have several Square Deals and will not changing.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 02:03:29 pm »
    Well the 650 is gone and replaced with a 750.  Not much different.  The new model has fixed or repaired the primer tube and feed problems that the 650 had.  Also easier to clean.

lesptr

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 03:09:50 pm »
    Well the 650 is gone and replaced with a 750.  Not much different.  The new model has fixed or repaired the primer tube and feed problems that the 650 had.  Also easier to clean.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Intel6

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 07:32:58 am »
    Basically they replced the rotary priming system of the 650 with the priming system of the 550.  A step backwards IMHO.

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 12:16:27 pm »
    Basically they replced the rotary priming system of the 650 with the priming system of the 550.  A step backwards IMHO.
    How is improving something going backwards?

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 12:24:41 pm »

That's the big deal they are talking about  "YAWN".  Your right that is going backwards.  The 550 primer system is just as finicky as the the old 650 system when they both get a bit dirty. 
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

Intel6

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 07:27:46 am »
    How is improving something going backwards?

I all depends on what you define as an "improvemnt"  I dont consider taking something that existed before the 650 even existed and replacing something that was new and innovative(the rotary priming system was innoative at the time) an "improvement."  It would be like replacing a modern fuel injected/electronic ignition engine in a modern vehcle with a carburated/distributor engine and calling it an "improvement."

I just see this as a dumbing down of the 650 because they had too many issues with warranting the rotary priming system. The 550 priming system isn't as good as the rotary system but since it is more simple it is easier to use by many people and easier to warranty both in parts and customer service. To me it just seems like a $ saving issue because parts are the same and they will spend less time on the phone with people who probably shouldnt be reloading anyway if they cant figure out how to make their press run. 

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 12:21:17 pm »
    Conditional agreement with that statement.  An awful lot of folks ought to really start with a single stage press or maybe a turret press and learn to prime off the press until you get the hang of how it works.  Yes, its an intermediate step and requires an investment of money and time but learning the finer points of the art and science of reloading ammunition is something that pays dividends every day you put that knowledge to work. 

I think you can teach just about anybody to reload but its not something you want to try on a progressive set-up the first time out.   :coffee
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

pscipio03

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 01:45:59 pm »
    Only thing I can find that is an 'improvement', if I remember correctly, is that when the 550 has a primer detonation (like shoving a large primer into a small primer pocket of a 45ACP), it only detonates that one primer. However, the 650 has the potential of an entire tube going off. Which, we've all seen pics of.
    But, to copy of what Intel6 said, it's like taking a modern Corvette and slapping in an engine from '58 because it doesn't go as fast, so therefore when you do get into a wreck, it will kill you less dead.

Intel6

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 08:05:09 pm »
    I also agree that many people need start on a simpler press.  I always tell people that they should get a simple single stage to try out reloading and learn the process. I tell then that it is not wasting money if they decide to upgrade because you can always use a single stage.

I also understand the primer detonation thing but that goes back to people reloading who probably should not be or at least not with a progressive.  I got my 650 in 1995 and have loaded countless thousands of rounds with it.  I have never had a primer detonation on mine not even close.  One thing about the 650 is you prime at the end of the stroke and can feel if there are any issues so there is no reason for forcing a primer.  Other reasons for detonations are not keeping the priming system (primer feeder and punch installed in the press)  maintained and working properly. 

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 10:46:33 am »
    I started with a used RL550b in the early 1990's. It remains my only press.

With a little bit of ingenuity and practice, it can also be used as a single stage press; and in fact, I use it in a sorta hybrid mode.

I do all my first station brass processing (resize/decap, then reprime) as a separate run.

I then hand charge from an RCBS Chargemaster Lite, insert the case into the seating station, seat the bullet, and then advance one step.

It's not actual progressive mode, but it combines the best features of both kinds of press.

The interchangeable tool head preserves die adjustments and makes caliber changes a lot easier/faster. Even with changing primer feed size and cartridge base plate, I think it's quicker and more convenient than a single stage press.

There are also some misconceptions about the way the 550 functions that have turned some folks to aftermarket 'aids' that I think serve little real purpose. Just as it comes from the factory, it produces ammo I use for pretty precise shooting.

I use Hornady new dimension dies for my 6.5's (260, Grendel), and RCBS for all the rest. Micrometer dies have more benefit in a single stage press; the Dillon die head makes die setup a very rare process. If multiple die setups are needed for different guns in the same chambering, I'll put together a tool head/die setup for each gun.

I gave up on the Dillon automatic powder measure and replaced it with the RCBS Chargemaster Lite. It's fast enough for my needs, and always right-bang-on with the right charge weight.

Greg
    « Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 12:04:51 pm by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

lesptr

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 11:03:44 am »
    I started with a used RL550b in the early 1990's. It remains my only press.

With a little bit of ingenuity and practice, it can also be used as a single stage press; and in fact, I use it in a sorta hybrid mode.

I do all my first station brass processing as a separate run, then hand charge from an RCBS Chargemaster Lite, insert the case into the seating station, seat the bullet, and then advance one step.

Greg
    That’s exactly how I use my 550 for rifle loading. I see no need of a single stage press when a 550 can be used as a single stage when needed.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 06:58:06 pm »
    Good points.  My ancient old RL 450 ( predecessor to the 550 ) works the same way.  I got to use a Redding turret press that belongs to a neighborn and really liked it.  He's got about three or four extra turrets already mounted with dies and properly set up and changing them out for a caliber switch takes about as long as it took to type this.   :thumbup
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

RJ

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 06:12:15 am »
    lol, reloading is a addiction, over the years i've collected 5 , 550s, recently a 650, and of course still have the old pacific shot gun reloader and a chucker, hehe, pretty much have every calibre covered,  with dies and reloading info,
    when i had the 50, i reloaded a small amount on a compadres single stage meant for biggies, what a pain that was, so instead tried to keep using milsurp stuff.
    anyhows, just had dillon rebuild a couple due to wear and one had a casting break, gotta love the blue
    Rj

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement