Username: Password:

Author Topic: Reloading 9mm, what is a good all around round?  (Read 2561 times)

Clifffalling

Reloading 9mm, what is a good all around round?
« on: September 11, 2019, 06:30:32 pm »
I'm interested in knowing what folks are loading for good quality backstock type ammo?
For example: I load the caliber to balance "plinking", and "defense:
Lemme 'splain...
I use a 124 grain hybrid HP. Basically, a clone of the xtp. Much cheaper though... loaded up to about 1100 fps out of a 4 " barrel. I am trying to balance,  use vs expense vs wear on my pistols.  At that velocity, it works out to about 330 ft lbs at the muzzle. So, I dont want to load too hot +p stuff, but I want something effective. 
What do you all think? Are these mousey loads? Should I bump them up? Are they gonna do the job when/if the time comes? I see a lot of scuttlebutt out there and wanted to get the thoughts of folks that live in the real world.
I appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    Re: Reloading 9mm, what is a good all around round?
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 07:51:05 pm »
    Depends on what goal or goals you have for your reloading project.   Expense wise its hard to beat 115 grain bullets in plain brass cases.  Makes good plinking ammo and usually runs well out of most pistols.  For not much more money you can load the 124 grain bullet weight and have something that carries a little better penetration at the cost of some velocity.  If you are loading practice ammo for your defensive carry gun I would recommend staying with the same weight as your carry ammo.  You can load it down a little if you normally carry +P or +P+ but there is wisdom in practicing with what you intend to use when the poop hits the propeller.  I'd worry more about bullet placement than which bullet I was using and how fast it was going.  A 124 grain 9mm bullet sailing along at 1100ish fps is nothing to sneeze at.   One or two of those where they will do the most good is going to make the recipient wish he/she/it had stayed in bed that morning.  :coffee

I have never really cared much whether a gun was experiencing wear - especially if I was using it daily or depending on it for self protection.  Abnormal wear, yes.  Normal wear - not so much.  Keep it cleaned, properly lubed and keep the recoil spring(s) fresh and shoot the snot out of it until the gun and the ammo you shoot through it are as dependable as humanly possible.  At some point during all this you will find that you have gotten pretty good with it, assuming you are actually training and not just plinking around and rolling pop cans out in the desert.  Most hand guns are capable of firing many thousands of rounds without significant wear as long as they are properly maintained.  There are rental guns at some shooting ranges that are upwards of 20,000 rounds and are still going with minimal maintenance and minor parts replacement.   

Just my $.02 worth - YMMV. 

" A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

DuneShoot

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 07:25:11 pm »
    I load extreme plated 147's. Shoot mostly suppressed but they'd still kill if needed out of a tiny Sig 365.
    Keeps it easy and cheap.

Clifffalling

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 06:00:16 am »
    Thanks both.
    Yeah I have loaded a few thousand from extreme. I ended up moving to everglades b/c i can get jacketed for the same price.  (In the 124 grn)

RJ

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 06:20:26 am »
    Literally load thousands of 115 gr coated bullets over 4.3 grn of 231, excellent plinking, runs sub guns, and accurate as all get out if i do my part, shoot lead non coated also, when i've poured them, but lately mostly coated, green demons i call them from dg bullets, presently have about 18 k loaded for when shooting time arrives
    Rj

DuneShoot

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 03:26:59 pm »
    Thanks both.
    Yeah I have loaded a few thousand from extreme. I ended up moving to everglades b/c i can get jacketed for the same price.  (In the 124 grn)

The everglades plated 147's per 500 rounds are $49 with free ship, extreme is $42 plus ship.
    Probably be the same with shipping.
    Will keep an eye on everglades clearance section though.

thom

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 07:19:51 pm »
    Following 
    Finally Retired
    AZCDL Life Member
    GOA
    NRA Life Member
    A politician is a fellow who wants you to lay down your life for his country.

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 01:24:49 am »
    I cast my own, the Lee 124 gr tumble lube bullet, then powder coat. That gets loaded over 4 gr of Bullseye for a good plinking load that would probably do a modicum of damage if need be, used in last ditch self defense. I did get the Forster hollow pointer accessory for my Forster trimmer...hard fail on expansion with current lead. Oh well, was worth a shot.
    For back up "bad times" ammo it's a 124gr XTP over 8 gr of AA#7. Not serious plus P, by any means, but steps out at approx 1070FPS, which I believe will do the job without over stressing the smaller carry pistols.

If I am down to my reloads for SD, it is a bad time indeed. I use Hornaday 135gr Critical Duty for my normal carry ammo.

Clifffalling

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 06:03:25 pm »
    I am really happy with this load. The Everglades xtp clone seems to he a well built bullet. + - .1 grn on the 124 . Length appear to be very consistent. It also appears to be pretty accurate. I bumped to 4.1 grn of titegroup.  After further testing, 4.0 , was really at about 1090 fps not 1100. At 4.1, it is a true 1100 fps out of a 4".  I am interested to see what it does out of the sub2000.
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:10:12 pm by Clifffalling »

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 06:00:20 am »
    115 rmr and 6.7 grains of hs-6
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

pscipio03

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 07:01:37 pm »
    124gr Bayou Bullets coated with 4.0 gr Bullseye

147gr Berry's with 3.6 gr Bullseye for subsonics.

Well over 30,000 of the 124gr shot out of pistols and PCC
    Probably 1,500 or so of the 147gr loads.

All work in compact/full size pistols without a hitch. Softer shooting than my 115gr loads and still enough oopmh to knock over steel plates.

thom

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 07:01:10 am »
    I started loading with the minimum of 4.0 tite group with a 115 bullet and CCi small pistol primers.  I had 1 bullet get stuck in the barrel and 5 more fail to eject.  I was shooting that load in a gen 5 glock 19.  Can anyone tell me why I was having this problem?  They shot fine out of my 9mm M&P smith.
    Thanks,
    Thom
    Finally Retired
    AZCDL Life Member
    GOA
    NRA Life Member

Clifffalling

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 08:36:23 am »
    What was your COAL?

thom

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 09:48:00 pm »
    What was your COAL?
    I don't know what a COAL is.
    Thom
    Finally Retired
    AZCDL Life Member
    GOA
    NRA Life Member

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 01:51:13 am »
    Cartridge overall length.
    You have to do a plunk test on a barrel to make sure the ammo is gonna fit
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

RJ

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 04:27:47 am »

have found new reloads i come up with to use try in multiple units, as some barrels are tighter than others, some feed ramps are different, each type of b ullet needs to be sampled in all my shooters, or at least the ones i've identified to be finicky.

Clifffalling

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2020, 05:49:00 am »
     :thumbup
    This. Also, triple check your sizing die set up. While you can use carbide dies without lube of course, do remember that 9mm luger is not a straight wall case. I like lee pistol dies because initial sizing is good, and the 4th die that adds the taper crimp also sizes the top half of the case again. This ensures good fit. As suggested, drop a sized case into your barrels and see if it spaces properly. Or get a headspace gauge. Also, I would recommend lots of reading and research.  Get a couple quality paper manuals and take the time to read the first 100 pages on the basics of reloading,  a few times.  Also, make sure you read the directions on your dies. The set up IS different for different brands.
    Above all, take your time and don't get frustrated, the answer  is there for sure.

Clifffalling

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 05:53:03 am »
    I forgot.  9mm headspaces off the cartridge mouth. So, cartridge length and case length are very important. Too long, and you could have battery, feed, extraction issues.  Too short, accuracy will suffer and pressures could be all over. Either could cause different firearms to malfunction. Be especially careful if you are using range pickups.  Oh, and lastly, good advice is hard to come by. When dealing with explosives especially it is best to take all advice gingerly and with some skepticism.  Rely mainly on published well established information.
    « Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:56:12 am by Clifffalling »

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 06:39:21 am »
    I haven’t ever seen brass length an issue in Semi auto pistol. Have you ever trimmed a piece of brass for a semi auto?
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

Clifffalling

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2020, 10:26:45 am »
    Nope, i haven't trimmed, but I only load range pick up pistol brass once and I sort for length.  I guess my point was to use an ammo checker or barrel to ensure that what you do have, is sized properly as a general rule of hand loading. Process. I am a huge proponent of the 6 "p's".
    One other thing I thought of... is it possible that being new to hand loading, the OP used .357 diameter bullets???

thom

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 08:40:17 am »
    Yes I was using range pickup brass. No I didn't measure, but I will from now on.  Same bullets that I have been using, .355.  Measuring (COAL)has now become a priority for me.  And checking the sizing dies.
    Thanks for all of the guidance.

Thom
    Finally Retired
    AZCDL Life Member
    GOA
    NRA Life Member

RJ

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 08:48:29 am »
    i don't recall ever having an issue with length on a 9mm case, hmmm, aol, maybe, but not the brass.

have to review this, as anything is possible, but 100k later of reloads and nada. hmmm
    Rj

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 03:11:19 pm »
    Nope, i haven't trimmed, but I only load range pick up pistol brass once and I sort for length.  I guess my point was to use an ammo checker or barrel to ensure that what you do have, is sized properly as a general rule of hand loading. Process. I am a huge proponent of the 6 "p's".
    One other thing I thought of... is it possible that being new to hand loading, the OP used .357 diameter bullets???

A correctly sized case gauge works the best.   Reload/followed by a gauge check.  If it doesn't fit, find out why and fix it. 

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement