Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ultra sonic cleaners  (Read 1508 times)

RJ

Ultra sonic cleaners
« on: November 17, 2019, 05:45:25 pm »
Well now, i have the big hornaday, and now another, and am wondering what folks use for formula, or cleaning solution on brass, these will be used mostly for brass, and probably occassional gun items. i'll pick up some solution for that, but i do shoot a fair amount and do have to clean a whole lot of brass, and i do have some of the hornaday solution, but am gettting ready to clean quite a few buckets of brass, 8 total so gonna be a whole lotta liquid involved

so all pistol brass, well 95% will be, small batches of rifle.

so have only done small amounts of pistol brass primer in, and drying for me has been an issue.
anyone have a secret magic drying method, the old guy can't figure out, i destroyed some 223 brass, thinking it was dry and leaving in a bucket for a while, it was so tarnished it had to go away.
anyway, share some formulas if you gott'm or is it just as easy to buy the store crapola

happy sunday
Rj

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Unpleasant

• Black on ammo due to celebratory fire.
    Re: Ultra sonic cleaners
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 06:53:30 pm »
    Here's a thread that should be helpful.
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/best-way-to-dry-your-brass-after-they-come-out-of-sonic-cleaner.3897759/

It looks like there are a few tricks. Dudes are using food dehydrators, ovens, and chemical solutions.

I still stick with the old walnut tumbler, but hopefully that link helps.

Rusty Young Man

• Open Carry advocate
    • "A Right unexercised is a Right lost."
    « Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 10:02:47 pm »
    Here's a thread that should be helpful.
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/best-way-to-dry-your-brass-after-they-come-out-of-sonic-cleaner.3897759/

It looks like there are a few tricks. Dudes are using food dehydrators, ovens, and chemical solutions.

I still stick with the old walnut tumbler, but hopefully that link helps.

Only advice I would offer you after reading that forum thread is to heat the oven to AT LEAST 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius), not just 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Maybe 250 Fahrenheit, just to be sure. :hmm

Water boils at 212 F (100 C), so anything less will not guarantee full evaporation. Even a few hours at 250 F should not hurt your brass seeing as the melting temp of most brass alloys is quite a bit hotter than that. :-)

Background/experience: I work in an analytical lab that requires metal or glass parts to be bone dry. Wash, rinse with De-Ionized water, shake the water out, then dry for 30 minutes at 100 degrees Celsius. The ovens we use are convection ovens, so they force the hot air around the parts, which helps dry the water even faster.

Just my 2 cents. :-)
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 10:05:45 pm by Rusty Young Man »
    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.”-- Frederic Bastiat

I carry for self defense, desensitizing, and educating. In that order.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 01:25:11 am »
    i know lyman made a solution that didn't work at all. i ditched my ultra sonic awhile back. hopefully you have better luck.

wet tumbling with SS pins has worked best for me.
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

Curmudgeon

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 06:19:59 am »
    I've tried it all, and ALWAYS go back to the old-school way.  Got my two big-ass tumblers from Harbor Freight, walnut shell, corn cob, Nu-finish polish, and my brass is PRIMO.

SONIC CLEANING PISTOLS ..........  Now, that's another story.   I've tried it several ways.  Personally, now, I only do the plastic frames.  Sometimes, the stuff comes out TOO clean, and you might spot a little rust on the metal parts, if you don't blow them dry soon enough (and apply a little CLP).  I use distilled water, Simple Green, and crank up the heat on the unit.  Run it a few full cycles, rinse, dry, and you're done.  The water will turn black before the first cycle is done, so I take a little hook, and pull the frame out every now and again to have a peek, and flip it over.

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 04:17:44 pm »
    I've tried it all, and ALWAYS go back to the old-school way.  Got my two big-ass tumblers from Harbor Freight, walnut shell, corn cob, Nu-finish polish, and my brass is PRIMO.

SONIC CLEANING PISTOLS ..........  Now, that's another story.   I've tried it several ways.  Personally, now, I only do the plastic frames.  Sometimes, the stuff comes out TOO clean, and you might spot a little rust on the metal parts, if you don't blow them dry soon enough (and apply a little CLP).  I use distilled water, Simple Green, and crank up the heat on the unit.  Run it a few full cycles, rinse, dry, and you're done.  The water will turn black before the first cycle is done, so I take a little hook, and pull the frame out every now and again to have a peek, and flip it over.

And that there is the Truth ^.  But I use the gun cleaner from UniqueTek - Works great in my ultrasonic unit.   Best way to clean your weapons, but not so good for BRASS.   I too have tried (except for Steel pins, They do a great job, but messy).   I have 3 vibrators (2 with corn cob, 1 with Walnut).   I can come back from the Big Sandy (Where in 1 weekend I'll go thru 6k-7k of assorted ammo), come home and 5 days later all brass is sorted and clean (Note Sorting takes the most time).   :thumbup
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

Curmudgeon

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 05:08:05 am »
    And that there is the Truth ^.  But I use the gun cleaner from UniqueTek - Works great in my ultrasonic unit.   Best way to clean your weapons, but not so good for BRASS.   

I remember now you telling me about that UniqueTek stuff a long time ago.  Made a mental note to drive over to the east valley and pick some up.  Shit.  Totally slipped my mind, damn it.

RJ

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 05:37:11 am »
    Unique Tek, share the skinny on this, please

on the wet, only issue i have is drying, now that its winter, its taking forever, did a few when we were in the best of the heat, and well, we all know how that went. dry in the time it took to spit.

I"ve plenty of old school stuff, tumbler with pins which i have and do use. but also have the ultra guys, so i will eventually figure out how to dry them all, might have to make something that is similar to a clothes dryer but slower.

happy tuesday, thanks for the comments
    rj

Clifffalling

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 06:08:49 am »
    So, I ditched walnut and vibratory cleaning altogether. I was cleaning brass in the ultrasonic with simple green. Ditched that too. I have a lyman cyclone tumbler with ss pins now. I bought a second tub for prewash. Brass goes in with hot water, white vinegar and dawn for like 15 minutes. Comes out and gets rinsed and then tossed in a colander. "Toss" it like you were trying to flip an omelette.  Especially for 223 , this will get most of the water out and break the osmotic tension. Then into the food dehydrator at 160 for 5 hours minimum. I will agitate the racks a few times. Now they are clean enough to process.  After processing, back into the tumbler with ss pins and one capful of lyman turbo brass cleaner. 1 to 1.5 hours is probably overkill, but they come out spotless inside and out. Primer pockets clean too. It is amazing! You do have to screen out the pins and make sure all the cases are rinsed, then back to the dryer. But wow, if you want brilliant cases, that's the way.  The lyman cleaner is about $25 for 32 oz. On Amazon, I still have 20 ozs left after running over 10000 mixed cases (9mm, 223, 308). It is an investment,  but I feel well worth it. There is no monkeying around and the brass is as clean and shiny as possible.
    Hope that helps.
    Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

Curmudgeon

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 06:38:18 am »
    Unique Tek, share the skinny on this, please

rj

It's been a while since I checked out the website:  http://www.uniquetek.com

Cool stuff.  Looks like they've added a lot of stuff.  What I was interested in was the cleaner.  Looks good.

Sorry I never got a chance to drive over there.

Ah.  I have some decent days, maybe I'll go later this week or next.

Won't buy a gallon or more, like my original plan though

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 08:01:50 am »
    I went through about a year trying to get good results from the vibes.

Cosmetically it leaves nice clean brass, but cosmetics were never my goal. Water spots? Not an issue.

My final straw was when I went to collet pull some bullets less than a week after assembling them. The necks were bonded so badly I tore a couple of necks trying separate them.

Use neck lube? Sure. But that's a Band-Aid for something that shouldn't be happening at all.

I gave mine away.

I use walnut in the tumbler now, and my neck tension/bonding issues appear to have disappeared.

There appears to be such a thing as brass that's too clean.

Greg
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

RJ

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 08:02:07 am »
    Best part about the tek cleaner is its an Az company, so as i'm over that way every so often, gonna stop in and pick some up and see how it works

happy tuesday
    Rj

Curmudgeon

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 09:21:23 am »
    Best part about the tek cleaner is its an Az company, so as i'm over that way every so often, gonna stop in and pick some up and see how it works

happy tuesday
    Rj

Wanna split a gallon ?

I see it's only 50 bucks, so with tax considered, 30 bucks each?

Just a question of who's gonna get over that way sooner.   I got chemo on Thursday, so POSSIBLY Friday.  I dunno.

Doctors appointment on Monday, so later next week might be a possibility also.  Unless you're over there sooner.

Let me know

Jim

RJ

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 01:11:19 pm »
    sure i'd split a gallon with you, and you are right see who gets there first, either way i'm in
    Rj

Curmudgeon

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 03:30:58 pm »
    sure i'd split a gallon with you, and you are right see who gets there first, either way i'm in
    Rj

Boredom is killing me.  Good chance I'll shoot over there on Friday.  I'll let you know.

(The chemo is weird.  I have it on Thursday, but it doesn't kick my ass until Saturday.  I spend about 10 hours in the recliner that day)

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 07:12:18 pm »
    So, I ditched walnut and vibratory cleaning altogether. I was cleaning brass in the ultrasonic with simple green. Ditched that too. I have a lyman cyclone tumbler with ss pins now. I bought a second tub for prewash. Brass goes in with hot water, white vinegar and dawn for like 15 minutes. Comes out and gets rinsed and then tossed in a colander. "Toss" it like you were trying to flip an omelette.  Especially for 223 , this will get most of the water out and break the osmotic tension. Then into the food dehydrator at 160 for 5 hours minimum. I will agitate the racks a few times. Now they are clean enough to process.  After processing, back into the tumbler with ss pins and one capful of lyman turbo brass cleaner. 1 to 1.5 hours is probably overkill, but they come out spotless inside and out. Primer pockets clean too. It is amazing! You do have to screen out the pins and make sure all the cases are rinsed, then back to the dryer. But wow, if you want brilliant cases, that's the way.  The lyman cleaner is about $25 for 32 oz. On Amazon, I still have 20 ozs left after running over 10000 mixed cases (9mm, 223, 308). It is an investment,  but I feel well worth it. There is no monkeying around and the brass is as clean and shiny as possible.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks for giving a detailed description of your process and results.  Yes, it does seem like a bit of overkill but its good to have somebody who's established a process and worked the bugs out of it giving us an alternative to what we've done for years.   :thumbup
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Curmudgeon

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 04:34:16 pm »
    Rj

Picked it up today.  Sending you a PM

RJ

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 04:59:57 pm »
    great, if you are up to it can come by this evening and pick up, do i need to bring a container or.........................
    thanks
    Ric j

Curmudgeon

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 05:15:23 pm »
    great, if you are up to it can come by this evening and pick up, do i need to bring a container or.........................
    thanks
    Ric j

Shit.  Almost my bedtime.  I'll send you another PM or text

RJ

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 01:04:50 pm »
    Thanks Jim for making the trip, had a good visit on pick up, and grabbed a half gallon of the jiz, hehe, gonna give it a shot this weekend, will report back results

happy friday
    Rj

Curmudgeon

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 04:32:48 pm »
    Thanks Jim for making the trip, had a good visit on pick up, and grabbed a half gallon of the jiz, hehe, gonna give it a shot this weekend, will report back results

happy friday
    Rj

I was itching to try the stuff myself.  NO dirty guns to be had.  That's really unusual.   I really sold a lot of my guns, so not too many dirty ones here anymore.
    I DO happen to have 2 dirty revolvers sitting here, but I really wanted to try that stuff on a semi-auto first

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE FRESH VEGETABLES  :thumbup

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement