Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anybody make blanks out of shotshells?  (Read 1335 times)

Riflerack31

Anybody make blanks out of shotshells?
« on: January 23, 2020, 09:11:30 pm »
I want to prank my brother when we go out and shoot clays, i can imagine the look on his face not hitting a single clay target then find out later he was shooting blanks! :rotfl

But anyway, has anybody done this before? I figured on putting in a new primer, powder, and wad. Everything except the shot. Well then maybe the shell wont have any weight when he holds it, so maybe fill the shell with rice? Or will rice burn and mess up the inside of the barrel? Will the shot still be loud when he fires?

Advice needed on how to reload my own blanks.
“When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty”

Thomas Jefferson

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Clifffalling

Re: Anybody make blanks out of shotshells?
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 05:25:36 am »
    Rock salt?
    Good for prank,  and those pesky youngsters on your lawn!
    But seriously, Found this thread: https://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-83184.html
    Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 05:41:44 am »
    Hmmm.......
    Maybe fill the shotcup with glitter or confetti.  Faaaa-AAAAAAA-bulous!
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 05:47:31 am »
    haha, years ago there was a group of us who shot sporting clays on early sunday am at BA clays course, so a previous sunday i picked up empties from all the gents, and make some blanks using rise, and typical powder load, and on next trip, slipped a box into each ones carry caddy, all were excellent shooters but that day i smoked them, on last stage, bob (azhighcounty, who has since passed away) caught on, it was the funniest day there was, we had such a good time, funny about how friends can prank each other and no one get all butt hurt. sure do miss that guy
    anyway, yep you can do it, slight weight difference, but in the heat of shooting, most dont' catch on

happy friday, just glad to make another one
    rj

Riflerack31

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 09:42:24 pm »
    RJ, what did you use to replace the shot? I also like the idea of rock salt, but could the rock salt possibly hit the clay target?
    “When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty”

Thomas Jefferson

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 05:37:18 am »
    rice and a few i threw in some shot, wieght was different but none figured it out till the end, we still giggle like girls about it when together, they never though i'd do something like that, well frankly neither did i, but the devil made me do it.
    Rj :rotfl

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 10:34:20 am »
    Note, there are 45 colt adapters that take 209 shot shell primers. They will chamber in a .410.

https://www.westernstageprops.com/inserts-for-Pistols-p/sg09.htm

They aren't what you asked for, but...

Greg
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

GrabYourGat

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 10:23:55 pm »
    Hmmm.......

I actually laughed out loud

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 09:18:17 am »
    Some time back, BR shooters would fireform their brass by topping the powder charge with cream of wheat or grits granules. The charge was harmless to barrels, and tended to help expand the cases fully.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/02/how-to-fire-form-brass-without-bullets/

But any blank is dangerous for at least a minimum distance downrange, especially ones that use something with mass as a bullet/shot substitute.

Greg
    « Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:21:29 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 09:45:56 am »
    I always used grits because it smells like popcorn after the charge is fired.   ;-)
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

SixShooter

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 06:36:42 pm »
    A very long time ago, a great, late friend of mine who was a real prankster would volunteer some “loads to try out”.
    He would load them in to my gun and when I pulled the trigger feathers would fly and he would laugh his a$$ off ;-D
    Big fun, but you have to load them into the gun yourself because there’s no weight to them.

needsmostuff

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 07:47:25 am »
    Hmmm.......

You laugh but that  is the only acceptable  way to hunt and shoot Unicorns .
    REALLY !

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 12:28:50 pm »
    I don't make shotshell blanks but I do make shotshell poppers for my better half.
    Poppers are easy since all they require is to insert a new primer into the hull and then a roll crimp.
    She's recently graduated from 20 gauge poppers to 12 gauge so I need to start looking for a cheap source for decent quality 12 gauge hulls.

The one thing that concerns me about putting something like glitter into a shotshell is the potential to foul the barrel. A friend of mine likes to annoy me by sending birthday cards with glitter. That damn glitter gets everywhere and it's a pain in the ass to clean. While a glitter filled shotshell might be funny "in the moment". It won't be nearly as funny if you're the one who has to clean it up.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement