Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fountain Hills / Fort McDowell shooting spots?  (Read 713 times)

monster

Fountain Hills / Fort McDowell shooting spots?
« on: April 04, 2020, 09:00:10 am »
Anyone know of shooting spots near  Fountain Hills / Fort McDowell?

I know some folks are disrespectful or dirty and the folks know I’m not like that and will be respectful and clean everything.

If anyone knows of a spot local to those areas I’ll be greatly appreciative and could return the favor.

Please send me a PM.
 Thanks!

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    Re: Fountain Hills / Fort McDowell shooting spots?
    « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 09:23:04 am »
    Been a few years since I was back there but there were a few spots on that road to Sugarloaf Mountain and Sycamore Creek west of the 87.  I quit going there because it was pretty heavily used being close in to town and there were a couple of encounters back there I wouldn't care for a seconds on. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 09:34:02 am »
    ... and there were a couple of encounters back there I wouldn't care for a seconds on...

That accurately describes probably 2/3 of my trip to unsupervised open desert / forest ranges.  For some reason they seem to attract a "special" kind of person.  I only go in groups now.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 09:59:16 am »
    Agreed.  And somebody is always on overwatch - usually me since I don't generally care for surprises.
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

monster

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 10:15:05 am »
    Jesus. Why can’t folks just do the right thing?

If I found a spot. And noticed a mess, I would try to periodically clean it up and police it as much as possible.

Thanks folks!

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 10:29:14 am »
    Well, wherever you end up - be safe. 
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 12:39:12 pm »
    Jesus. Why can’t folks just do the right thing?

If I found a spot. And noticed a mess, I would try to periodically clean it up and police it as much as possible.

Thanks folks!

Back when the folks on this forum used to do occasional group shots, that's exactly what we did.  Once shooting was done, we'd load up our gear, police the area, and then load as much trash as we could carry into the backs of our pickup trucks and haul it off.  It's truly nauseating when you look at the amount of sh1t that people will take out to desert, shoot at, and then leave.  :facepalm
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

monster

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 06:56:51 pm »
    Right on, thanks folks!

If I buy 5 acres 30 minutes from Mesa, who wants to join in and build an underground range with me?

I’m half joking half serious. Haha.

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 09:35:34 pm »
    Right on, thanks folks!

If I buy 5 acres 30 minutes from Mesa, who wants to join in and build an underground range with me?

I’m half joking half serious. Haha.

Hell I'd offer to help... but then again I'm jonesing to do pretty much the same up north in or around Black Canyon City or Mayer.  :thumbup

espritv8gt

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 05:46:11 am »
    How about a portable (sorta) shooting range?

http://www.shootingrangeindustries.com/

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 08:08:17 am »
    Hell I'd offer to help... but then again I'm jonesing to do pretty much the same up north in or around Black Canyon City or Mayer.  :thumbup

I keep thinking about this one.
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13500-S-Dandrea-Rd-Mayer-AZ-86333/2080616815_zpid/

[img w=400]https://photos.zillowstatic.com/uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152/ISf4swjhp9sgjc0000000000.webp[/img]
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 12:04:08 pm »
    That one is back there a ways.  God help you if you ever needed to be somewhere else in a hurry or had to get in or out in bad weather.   :hmm  I've been stuck back in the Bradshaws for a couple of days in a tent until it quit raining/snowing and the runoff stopped and the roads settled up a bit.  They can get pretty bad in spots.  After a big rain or when it starts to thaw out after a big snowstorm you can also find a winch and a pry bar pretty helpful for moving rocks and other big debris out of the way.  Just sayin' .  .  .   :coffee
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 01:48:35 pm »
    I keep thinking about this one.
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13500-S-Dandrea-Rd-Mayer-AZ-86333/2080616815_zpid/

[img w=400]https://photos.zillowstatic.com/uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152/ISf4swjhp9sgjc0000000000.webp[/img]

Nice!  :thumbup

I've seen quite a few properties come up for sale in that general area.  All near that same Forest Road and several near the Palace Station historical site.  I've been highly tempted to put offers on a couple of the properties I've looked at.  Problem, so far, has been location.  I've still got a few years before I can afford to retire (of course if my 401k doesn't bounce back then those years might turn into decades!  :shocked).  My office is in Glendale so I'm trying to find something within an hours commute.  And that makes locations like that somewhat less desirable to me.

On the other hand, if this pandemic changes corporate attitudes about working from home, it may become a more desirable option to me.  After all if I can work from a home office in the middle of a forest, I'd be a much happier camper.  And I'm guessing so would my dogs.

Where's that damn winning PowerBall ticket when I need it!!!!  :facepalm

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement