Username: Password:

Author Topic: Don't hate me because I love cheap optics!  (Read 4812 times)

GTGallop

• N5MKH
  • Administrator
    • QRZ - N5MKH
Re: Don't hate me because I love cheap optics!
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2020, 02:03:52 pm »
Just do what the rest of us do. Buy now, don’t tell her. If she finds out, beg for forgiveness. Seems to work most times.

I encourage my wife to shop at the mall. She purchases what she wants so this way I can purchase what I like  :rotfl

I get "professionals" to bid out a lot of the work I do around the house.  Not routine stuff like lawn maintenance, but things like replacing faucets, fixing sheetrock, hanging fans, running Cat-5 or Cat-6 wires, installing exhaust fans.  You know - the DIY stuff.  Then when I'm done, I tell her, "I just saved us $458.77."  Then I encourage her to go our and spend it at the mall or online or get something nice.
The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Bayonet

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2020, 04:16:09 pm »
    I get "professionals" to bid out a lot of the work I do around the house.  Not routine stuff like lawn maintenance, but things like replacing faucets, fixing sheetrock, hanging fans, running Cat-5 or Cat-6 wires, installing exhaust fans.  You know - the DIY stuff.  Then when I'm done, I tell her, "I just saved us $458.77."  Then I encourage her to go our and spend it at the mall or online or get something nice.

GT, Yes! That works as well!  :-)

KingGlamis

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2020, 04:51:53 pm »
    Holosun is the way to go for “cheap” optics

As someone who used to buy sub $100 optics I thought my Holosun at $320 was pretty spendy. But I must say it was worth every penny and I will never go back to the really cheap optics that I used to buy. On the other hand, this Holosun is so nice I can't imagine spending more to get something "better."
    I consider owning and shooting guns to be a fun hobby. That could also save my life or the lives of others.

lesptr

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2020, 05:02:37 pm »
    As someone who used to buy sub $100 optics I thought my Holosun at $320 was pretty spendy. But I must say it was worth every penny and I will never go back to the really cheap optics that I used to buy. On the other hand, this Holosun is so nice I can't imagine spending more to get something "better."
    Holosun is putting out some nice stuff. Members of our local swat team are ditching the Trijicon rmr’s for the 507. I’m seriously thinking of trying one on a pistol myself.

Roger9mm

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2020, 07:10:18 pm »
    Yeah, the old " oh, that honey? I have had that for a couple years.  Picked it up for a song on black Friday..."  for some reason, if you didnt buy it yesterday it seeks to be okay.  :whistle

She has guns also.. she knows what we have and don’t have lol..
    Statistics have shown most boating accidents have been caused by gun owners. Stop going on boating trips!

Roger9mm

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2020, 07:13:10 pm »
    Just do what the rest of us do. Buy now, don’t tell her. If she finds out, beg for forgiveness. Seems to work most times.

Lol I pulled that many times so that route is gone. Even tried the oh I bought it for you and ended up having to do an AR and Glock in pink. You ever go to the range alone with pink guns.. yea.. the women think its cool but their husbands are laughing at you.. not laughing in a bad way but just busting your chops.
    Statistics have shown most boating accidents have been caused by gun owners. Stop going on boating trips!

lesptr

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2020, 07:47:40 pm »
    Lol I pulled that many times so that route is gone. Even tried the oh I bought it for you and ended up having to do an AR and Glock in pink. You ever go to the range alone with pink guns.. yea.. the women think its cool but their husbands are laughing at you.. not laughing in a bad way but just busting your chops.
    That’s the laughter of understanding.

JT

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2020, 06:46:14 am »
    In a couple weeks we will have been married for 55 years. I dont ask permission or beg forgiveness but I dont buy anything we cant afford. My wife told me to buy a bigger safe which is also her gun store. She likes it it is hers. Unfortunately that is getting more restricted to 22lr. She can no longer handle the weight and recoil of larger calibers. At least not off hand. She can handle an AR from the bench but hates the bench. She can still handle an FX9 braced pistol. I dont want to but I need to start cutting back. Just gave guns to 2 grandkids. They were going to inherit them anyway so better sooner than later. Early Christmas presents.
    She does not know it yet but she has a new computer on the way. She has been complaining about hers but wont buy a new one. Mine recently fried so I had to get a new one. Hers is a lot nicer. SIL picked it out and he knows computers a lot better than I do.

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #58 on: December 01, 2020, 12:49:54 pm »
    Been at that same point for about five years. I moved from Western NY to SE AZ about then, and had to thin the herd by about 2/3. Everything divested went to the younger generation.

My current selection is semi-modest. They are all shooters and they all get shot. My wife of 50 years has developed Issues with her wrists, and I recently re-equipped her from a Shield 9 to a Bodyguard 380. Not exactly a man stopper, I still wouldn't want to stand rudely in front of it, and she can manage the mechanisms fine.

Like you, I'm swinging over to 22lr for training/recreation/plinking. While I continue to handload for the my few remaining rifle chamberings, I'm holding onto it while commercial stocks are scarce. My 22lr stock is respectable, and it all dates back to the impending Obama days. Just acquired a shield 22LR Compact with adj sights, and that completes my 22LR ensemble.

My approach to buying 'new' computers is to look in the Amazon Basics Refurbished Computers listings. They come all like new inside, and it's what I've been running for years. A refurbed top of the line 10 y/o Dell Optiplex desktop computer runs about $300+ these days, and all I did was replug my peripherals into the new one (and added a second monitor, for Netflix).

I did have to replace the monitor cables, the styles of connectors have evolved over the years, my last computer originally ran Windows 7, is currently up to date, and my Grandson uses it for gaming.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=amazon+basics+refurbished+computers&ref=nb_sb_noss

Since I made my pre-retirement living doing all things computer for Merrill-Lynch (including refurbishing several hundred desktop units), I can recognize a good deal on refurbs.

Another approach is to check out the new minis/micros. They may require a small bit of know-how to set up the peripherals/backups, but they take up very little room (you can attach them to the back side of your monitor), and costs can be quite reasonable for a lot of computer.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=micro+computers+windows+10&crid=21O0EZDIW2NZV&sprefix=micro+computers%2Caps%2C207&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_4_15

Greg
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 01:18:46 pm by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

JT

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2020, 07:33:12 pm »
    I dont know much about computers. The one refurb I did buy had a virus. The refurb people blew it and I have avoided them ever since.
    I have 3 Holosuns and have had issues with mount screws breaking. I guess I have been over tightening them They sent me some screws and told me 20 inch lbs. If that does not hold use blue loctite. The small end of the Allen key is about 20 inch lbs but I will use my torque wrench.

Roger9mm

« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2020, 09:17:50 pm »
    I know this is getting away from optics but what are you using the laptop for? If its just for watching movies l, light web browsing and emails just get a chrome book or a tablet. Cheaper and will last you a lot longer than most cheaper laptops.

JT

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2020, 07:26:30 am »
    She has an old 17" lap top but she is getting an all in one with a 24" screen. Something she can see what she is doing and a lot faster.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement