Username: Password:

Author Topic: Taking the plunge into reloading  (Read 1620 times)

yabiah

Taking the plunge into reloading
« on: April 25, 2020, 10:21:56 am »
Hello all,
I recently picked up a Dillon RL 450 with 380 acp cal conversion and added the strong mount.
It's been upgrade with an auto primer, powder and eject.

I put a little list together of things I'll need to get it up and running.
I don't need it all at once, and I'm in no hurry.  I figured I'd learn on whatever caliber set up I procure first.
Caliber Conversions and Rifle Dies; 223, 7.62 x 39, 6.5 CM.
Caliber Conversions and Pistol Dies; 380 acp, 9mm, 40 S&W.
Digital scale, case trimmer, bullets, primers and powders.

If you happen to have anything you'd be willing to part with, reply or shoot me a pm me with price and details.
Thanks all,
Tim  located near 32 St and Shea Blvd
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:37:57 am by yabiah »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

RJ

• Contributor
    Re: Taking the plunge into reloading
    « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 10:28:24 am »
    list looks pretty good, get a set of calipers (harbor freight work) to check aol. and just remember till you get some behind you (reloaded rounds that is) check every 10 or so,

when developing a new load, i typically run around 30 rounds, give'm a go then keep info on how they perform and adjust as needed. milage may diwith your set up though. Trick is patience, till you get the "feel" of loader. then one can build from their.
    best of luck, its a hobby that will pay for itself in time, especially during times like this.
    and you will now become a brass whore, hehehe, its a natural occurance once you begin to reload.
    Rj

oh yeah a bullet puller would be in order, just in case

lesptr

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 01:15:34 pm »
    I was given a 450. Dillon makes an kit to upgrade it to a 550. If you’re going to be doing multiple calibers, the 550 upgrade is worth the money.

yabiah

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 01:28:08 pm »
    Dillon makes a kit to upgrade it to a 550. If you’re going to be doing multiple calibers, the 550 upgrade is worth the money.
    I did see that but I'm thinking the need to buy another press will kick in at some point  :thumbup

lesptr

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 01:31:05 pm »

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 02:08:54 pm »
    I did see that but I'm thinking the need to buy another press will kick in at some point  :thumbup
    If you do make sure it is a Dillon.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 02:24:13 pm »
    If you don't already have one a recent edition reloading manual is a pretty handy thing to have around as a bench reference. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Unpleasant

• Black on ammo due to celebratory fire.
    « Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 08:54:51 pm »
    If you can find an inexpensive single stage, that really helps with the precision rifle rounds, plus during the case prep process.

It's a good pair to have with a turret or progressive press.

Clifffalling

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 05:46:52 am »
    Make darn sure your scale is good, especially with pistol loads. I have a manual as a backup to crosscheck my electronic.  If you are loading middle of the road , it may not matter as much. If you are pushing upper limits of loads, and/or concerned about consistent accuracy,  it will matter.
    Flagstaff: Poverty with a view.

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 06:26:52 am »

The 450 to 550 upgrade is the way to go.  You already have the press.   By upgrading you will have the most versatile reloading setup that will last a lifetime (Dillon's have a life time warranty. You send in a broken or worn out part and they send you a NEW one).   After that upgrade, you will see that a 550 will do everything you need for a long time.  Caliber conversions are easy and inexpensive with a 550.   You can also run it  as a single stage press as I did until I got good enough to understand each step and make the move to a progressive press at no cost.  It takes a while and remember, "you don't get any RECALLS on MISTAKES".   They can be really costly.   Be careful.    I had my 550b for 18 years before I felt a requirement to upgrade.  You will know when that time comes.     

Also I would start for some time learning to load pistol calibers ONLY.  Don't attempt Bottle neck calibers in the beginning.  They are a whole different world.  Also don't forget to buy a "Case gauge" for each caliber you plan on reloading. 

Good luck
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 06:31:08 am by anm2_man »
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

lesptr

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 09:01:41 am »
    The 450 to 550 upgrade is the way to go.  You already have the press.   By upgrading you will have the most versatile reloading setup that will last a lifetime (Dillon's have a life time warranty. You send in a broken or worn out part and they send you a NEW one).   After that upgrade, you will see that a 550 will do everything you need for a long time.  Caliber conversions are easy and inexpensive with a 550.   You can also run it  as a single stage press as I did until I got good enough to understand each step and make the move to a progressive press at no cost.  It takes a while and remember, "you don't get any RECALLS on MISTAKES".   They can be really costly.   Be careful.    I had my 550b for 18 years before I felt a requirement to upgrade.  You will know when that time comes.     

Also I would start for some time learning to load pistol calibers ONLY.  Don't attempt Bottle neck calibers in the beginning.  They are a whole different world.  Also don't forget to buy a "Case gauge" for each caliber you plan on reloading. 

Good luck
    Excellent post. Well said on every point.
    For the folks that always say “you should start with a single stage press”, have no understanding that you can use a progressive press as a single stage.

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 11:24:21 am »
    I bought my 550 in 1995, used. The call to get another has never arisen. I'd do the upgrade ASAP.

The whole point of the interchangeable toolhead is that it makes a second press redundant.

I use the RCBS Chargemaster Lite. Avoid the measures with the membrane switch panel, the switch panels wear out.

Greg
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:27:20 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

yabiah

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 05:08:19 pm »
    Here's an update of what I've acquired;
    Rifle Dies; 223 with 'A' powder funnel & 7.62 x 39.
    Pistol Dies; 380 acp & 40 S&W.
    9mm & 40 bullets, primers and powder.
    Case gauges; 223, 9mm, 40 S&W, 7.62 x 39.
    And a couple manuals.

If you happen to have anything you'd be willing to part with, reply or shoot me a pm me with price and details.
    Thanks all,
    Tim  located near 32 St and Shea Blvd

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement