Username: Password:

Author Topic: DPMS & Bushmaster axed by freedom group?  (Read 380 times)

Whathefff

DPMS & Bushmaster axed by freedom group?
« on: May 02, 2020, 01:01:22 pm »
I seen a video that reminded me of the DPMS Arctic Panther rifle (white AR) that I seen a long time ago so I went to the DPMS site to see if they still made it and got to a page trying to divert me to the Remington site. I didn't know they were bought out but apparently Remington/Remington outdoors company/Freedom group/Cerberus Capital Management has killed off DPMS & Bushmaster. I thought maybe Remington adopted their rifles and are selling them as Remington's but nope. The ones they have are very hunter forward. None sold in black, all with some type of hunter camo (mossy oak, etc.) all sold with 5 round magazines, all but 1 model have fixed stocks and when you scroll over rifles and the drop down menu is visible, there is no semi auto rifles mentioned. You have to go in and look for them. It wouldn't surprise me if they axed their modern sporting rifles soon resulting in not even having one semi-auto center fired rifle under any of the freedom groups brands.

Business or politics?
“Maybe Poker’s just not your game, Ike. I know – let’s have a spelling contest!”

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Martimus

• Sr. Contributor
    Re: DPMS & Bushmaster axed by freedom group?
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 03:20:10 pm »
    Looks like it...

Quote from: TTAG
    UPDATE: a dealer friend of ours received an email today from distribution giant RSR Group notifying them of the following:

Remington Outdoor Company informed RSR at the SHOT Show that they will be focusing on their core hunting and shooting brands – AAC, Barnes, Marlin and Remington. Bushmaster, DPMS, StormLake Barrels and Tapco will no longer be produced, with the exception of the Bushmaster BA50.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/is-remington-leaving-the-msr-market-dpms-bushamster-and-tapco-sites-are-shuttered/
    "If the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body, and the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body, then left-handed people must be the only ones in their right minds."  ~ W.C. Fields

delta6

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 04:28:05 pm »
    I seen a video that reminded me of the DPMS Arctic Panther rifle (white AR) that I seen a long time ago so I went to the DPMS site to see if they still made it and got to a page trying to divert me to the Remington site. I didn't know they were bought out but apparently Remington/Remington outdoors company/Freedom group/Cerberus Capital Management has killed off DPMS & Bushmaster. I thought maybe Remington adopted their rifles and are selling them as Remington's but nope. The ones they have are very hunter forward. None sold in black, all with some type of hunter camo (mossy oak, etc.) all sold with 5 round magazines, all but 1 model have fixed stocks and when you scroll over rifles and the drop down menu is visible, there is no semi auto rifles mentioned. You have to go in and look for them. It wouldn't surprise me if they axed their modern sporting rifles soon resulting in not even having one semi-auto center fired rifle under any of the freedom groups brands.

Business or politics?

Pretty much business. They were drowning in debt, they could not borrow any more money, they paid too much for the original acquisition they amortized everything they could years ago, their EBITA was upside down, plenty of competition with lower price points and the final nail was a very, very soft market. Funny thing, if they could have hung on a bit longer, the COVID19 may have bailed them out.

bill460

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 01:10:45 am »
    .......Business or politics?

Total business decision. Everyone and their brother is making AR-15 rifles these days. There is simply too much competition in order to successfully turn a buck. Price is another thing that killed them off. DPMS and Bushmaster catered to the lower end of the AR market. Now most all of the manufactures have economical AR models. Then you have places who cater to the kitchen table builders, like PSA.

Building an AR-15 is not that difficult. And most gun enthusiasts embrace the challenge. There just wasn't enough business for them, that was worth chasing with 2 companies. Richard Dyke made out like a bandit. He sold his original Bushmaster company to Freedom Group. Then he started Windam Weaponry, a few years later in the same plant he bought back from them. He's still going strong.

About all you can say politically, is they might have survived if Hillary had won. People would have been burning rubber to the gun stores, just like they did when Obama won in 2008. But that didn't happen. And it looks like Trump will easily sail into another term. Biden is sinking faster than the Titanic. So Evil Black Rifles are basically safe from most politics for another 4 years. At least at the Federal level.

Clifffalling

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 06:00:08 am »
    They did unveil their new 50 bmg bolt. Essentially, an uglier version of the Bushie.  Although, it supposedly wont be listed, but rather a custom order only item. I wonder if their guns will all come with a flower in the muzzle?

Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

pscipio03

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 12:03:18 pm »
    The only thing that surprises me about that is them dumping StormLake barrels.
    The rest they killed the QC so badly it just wasn't worth buying the ARs. You could get something with better QC for cheaper from PSA.
    But StormLake, they were for years the standard drop-in Glock barrel.

Clifffalling

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 11:03:00 am »
    I bought several storm lake barrels from midway. 72$ a piece! Could not pass that up.
    Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement