Username: Password:

Author Topic: Smoking reload help  (Read 208 times)

thom

Smoking reload help
« on: May 16, 2020, 10:23:12 am »
Whatever I reload and put into a glock gen 5 pistol 9mm or my M&P 9mm, it smokes. It doesn't smoke in my MPX. I have used titegroup, power pistol and blue dot powder. I have used berrys bullets and the red extremes and black coated bullets also. I have used 5.9 grains of Power pistol with a 115 grain bullet. I have used 5.0 and 5.3 of power pistol with extreme 124 red bullets. I think that I have cleaned the pistols good enough by just taking the slide off and spraying and wiping down with CLP. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I seat the bullets at the longest recommended measurement.

Thanks for any help.

Thom
Finally Retired
AZCDL Life Member
GOA
NRA Life Member
A politician is a fellow who wants you to lay down your life for his country.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    Re: Smoking reload help
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 09:16:21 pm »
    <== Totally uneducated on these matters but putting in an opinion because what the hell I stayed at a holiday inn express last night.  :shocked

Could it be the tightness of the barrel?  I know Glocks have a hex rifling and I have wondered if it let the bullet move too fast down the barrel and never built up the required PSI to ensure all the powder burns so some of it is burning as it leaves the barrel?
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

Clifffalling

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 07:04:17 am »
    Hmmm... what does it smell like? Does it go away after a few rounds? If it does, i would say too much clp. I believe Glock recommends like half a drop on the four rails and nowhere else.  Thats all i use on any of my striker fire poly pistols.
     If it doesn't go away, maybe examine your cleaning process on the brass. While its a long shot ... is your powder dispenser clean? Is there oil in it?
    I would also shoot some factory ammo. That will tell you quickly if it's the gun.
    Best of luck!
    Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

Clifffalling

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 11:21:52 am »
    Another thought that GTs comment brought up. Are you taper crimping the case? If not, maybe there is a timing issue with the shorter barrels.  The crimp will "hold" the bullet just a bit longer and allow for more complete burn. FWIW
    Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 12:30:12 pm »
    Thom - Just a suggestion.   I have used Tightgroup and Bullseye (for 9mm) over the years, and yes they leave residue un-burned powder most of the time.   For the last year I have been experimenting with Hodgens CFE Pistol powder.   Its been really clean and works with std FMJ, plated (From whoever) and I tried it some coated lead projectiles.   I can't find any fault with.  Meters well and consistent my Dillon.  I'm happy with it.  Still have to use up the Tightgroup I have left have been laying a large supply of it.   It works great in .380acp, 40S&W + .38 spec.  I don't load any 357mag, but have tried it in 44mag.  That caliber doesn't really like.  Don't even try.   But I think its going to be my goto powder for the calibers that I state.

:thumbup
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement