Username: Password:

Author Topic: Glock 27/9mm Lone Wolf Conversion barrel  (Read 249 times)

stevegonzo1

• Lurker
Glock 27/9mm Lone Wolf Conversion barrel
« on: May 22, 2020, 03:56:56 pm »
Hi first post ever on here, in fact a brand new member as of today and had a buddy tell me I should post this as an educational post!  Starts off years ago when I bought my first Glock and went the the 40cal G27!  Was fairly new to pistols and was "happy" with it until this past February I had a double charge or bad case LE round go kaboom! This quickly gave me a very fortunate opportunity to educate myself on this firearm, before a lot of reading deciding to replace the gun with the same model seeing I came out of the event un-marked!  Less than 4 months later my son had the gun at the range, shooting white box Winchester range loads and noticed a spent case that was split the entire length of the case!  Thought, there is no way!  Having the small amount of knowledge on the "Glock 40 Chamber" supportive-ness, or lack there of from what every other post says with a Google search, I decided to convert it!   So I ordered a Lone Wolf/Alpha Wolf Conversion barrel to put the G27 behind me.  New barrel arrives, took my cleaning kit to it 2-3 times real good and went to size up some overall lenghts of the bullets I have in my 9mm stock for my reloading, and this is when I noticed it had a very short chamber! So I took 4 different factory ammo loads I had on hand and found only 1 to pass the "plunk" test!  Attached are some pics of anyone cares to see, but the moral is to educate ourselves when working with firearms (most of you are much more than I)!  I do not have a bad taste in mouth regarding any of the above mentioned brands but would not have noticed this short chamber a year ago had I not been learning reloading and reading tons of other people's knowledge put on forums just like this!  So hopefully this will help just one person to always check their firearms in hopes of avoiding any possible injurys!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 04:01:50 pm by stevegonzo1 »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    Re: Glock 27/9mm Lone Wolf Conversion barrel
    « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 08:42:27 pm »
    Good catch and good pics.  You definitely have to sweat the details in our favorite hobby.   :yes   And welcome to the forum. 
    "I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting you really believe what you just said."     William F. Buckley, Jr.

Clifffalling

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 06:27:45 am »
     Interesting.  What did the barrel manufacturer have to say? Also, did you check all the cartridges against a saami headspace gauge?
    « Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 06:30:20 am by Clifffalling »
    Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 11:05:55 am »
    That was my next question.  A set of Wilson case gauges is definitely your friend.  Even one of those go/no go blocks that are popular these days would be helpful. 
    "I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting you really believe what you just said."     William F. Buckley, Jr.

JT

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 10:17:05 am »
    I had a kaboom and finally figured out it may well have been a bad crimp allowed the bullet to set back. 5th round in the mag and all 4 previous hit the target. It was a factory round.

Clifffalling

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 11:25:20 am »
    So, this got me thinking.  I conducted my own survey. Used factory Remington,  Federal, Aguila, Winchester, something with the headstamp "D", one of my handloads using PMC brass and a handload picked up at the range using Rem brass.
    I dropped each one in a max cartridge gauge (lyman). They all passed.
    Then to the barrels, i used a cheap Bear Creek, an AAC and a Glock OEM.  The round stamped "D" was the only one that sat all the way down. The rest all were set back .25mm (.010")to 1.29 mm (.051"). So, all within SAAMI spec, but not all sat down in the barrels.  The variances appeared identical across the three barrels as well.
    Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement