Username: Password:

Author Topic: Why I Started Reloading  (Read 441 times)

SFC

• Outlaw
  • Life NRA Pro 2nd Amendment
Why I Started Reloading
« on: June 15, 2020, 10:50:57 am »
Back in the day somewhere around 1970 I started shooting Wildcat Reloads on a round that was designated as a 30 Herrett  In fact I was doing a trial and error since there was no real data on the round, although with help from Thompson Center and other Wildcat Shooters and several barrels I muddled through and after months I finally was able to shoot this round successfully. I continued shooting this round until 1994 when I finally decided it was taking up a lot of my time But I did enjoy the experience and I did learn each time I reloaded these rounds and BTW each time I competed I had to have a minimum of 400 rounds to compete, zero in the TC and if lucky enough to win I may had to have a shoot off and if you had no ammo you lose
Outlaw Guns and only Outlaws will have Guns 
Guess That Will Make Me An Outlaw

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    Re: Why I Started Reloading
    « Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 08:30:55 pm »
    Lots of work in those old Herrett's and the TCU's as well.   Metallic silhouette competition?
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

SFC

• Outlaw
    • Life NRA Pro 2nd Amendment
    « Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 09:09:52 am »
    Yep, Since then I have moved to the T/C Encore Pro Hunter in 308 and  300 Win Mag
    Outlaw Guns and only Outlaws will have Guns 
    Guess That Will Make Me An Outlaw

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 10:11:30 am »
     :thumbup   Hard not to like the .30 calibers.  Extremely versatile and generally easy to work with. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 07:43:54 am »
    I started reloading in the mid-1990's because I was going though a lot of 45ACP, and just looking at all that spent brass I had already paid for going to (for me, at least) waste. It was the stinginess in me that triggered the reloading bug. I had tried factory reloads that turned out to be fancy boxes for range pickup brass that the range owner was reloading or getting reloaded for himself; the same guy who insisted that any brass hitting the floor belonged to him. Was his ammo cheaper? Than new ammo, yes; but not by nearly enough.

I got tired of being used to make another greedy guy get rich.

First, I joined a Police Range. Then, a friend from that range brought me home and introduced me to his MEC setup. I bought my own components, and he helped my get going on his MEC. Soon, a guy at the range was selling his RL550b, and my buddy said go for it.

Going on 30 years now, that's still the only press I (have ever) own(ed). It's like getting a Cadillac for your first car. Why consider another, when that old Caddy still runs like new.

Did I save money? Not in the beginning due to the outlay, even with used stuff.

Later; did I save? Still no, because with handloading comes the Tiny Groups Obsession; everyone wants to shoot small like the BR folks, that stuff not only gets expensive; it becomes an obsession, too. That one took me decades to shed. Who needs another addiction? My first, and only justifiable one is money; well Duh!

Nowadays, I'm into practical accuracy. Do I hit my target, and am I not wasting ammo? Then the answer is that I'm doing just fine. What question one may ask? All of the ones that have a practical meaning.

Also, no more match components; I'm not shooting matches, and that's the operative difference.

I use hunting/LE projectiles. If my ammo has to hit something, it does. If that something wants to harm me and mine, that's covered too; more or less the better of several worlds.

Greg
    « Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:04:06 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

RJ

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 08:53:41 am »
    I was taught by my grandfather and old cowboy who didn't think practice shooting was needed more than once, and if you left brass anywhere it was worse than using a cuss work with god in it.
    so have basically reloaded most of my adult life, but did step off when ammo was cheap, and was shooting sporting clays ect, again as ammo and milsurp was really cheap, but decade or two ago, the mad rush to buy, prices went up, gun grab scares, i began the assembly of the reloading mecca, plenty of reloader equipment, powder, brass, primers boolits, dies, you name it i probably have it, and if i don't have a support group of friends who will have it, so we would never have an issue of "no ammo" and there is some pleasure in reloading, once in the zone one can re load several thousand in the time it takes to watch a good movie,
    nowadays, i generally reload around 2-300 an evening, head to reload shack, crank on the ac (well now i do) turn on some old time rock and roll, "hendriks works for me) and get to pulling the one armed savior. and the huge noise i get when dumping a full bin into an empty GI ammo can, is as music as "all along the watchtower" anyhow, thats how, why and when,
    best to you that don't , so don't come knocking asking for a mag load, lol
    Rj living that dream

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 03:31:05 pm »
    I was forced into reloading.   All you really need is a couple of young kids that learned to shoot (as their father thought them)  and liked it to force you into buying factory rounds before every weekend, because they wanted to go shooting.  Just having to buy all the ammo for a bunch of pistols + some rifles every weekend, you will figure it out !
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

JT

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 11:55:53 am »
    High dollar rifle rounds. Right now I am playing with reloads for 410 since they cost more than 12 gauge.

Pwc

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 02:12:24 pm »
    I bought an old rifle from someome at work, and along with it came the offer to buy a Pacific "C" press, powder balance, dies for the rifle, and Lyman 55, and a Lyman 45 reloading manual, all for $45.  I studied the manual, checked out Phil Sharpe's "Complete Book of Reloading" several times, before it became unavailable (stolen) from the county library.  Made my first rounds per the manual and never looked back.  NRA, G&A, Shooting Times, Rifle, and Handloader all promised better accuracy, ray gin performance, etc. 

Got sucked in to all that, spend more, frustrated more....  It wasn't being fun anymore.  Only thing I hunt now is paper out to 100yds.  Buy components that are available, load moderate loads, less than 5K / yr.  Practical accuracy for my wooden warriors, and their operator are what's important now.

When I started reloading, I'd come home from work and could bite nails in two.  After prepping brass or reloading a hundred rounds or so I became a mellow fellow.  I'm retired now, and am just a loveable curmudgon.
    « Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 02:15:25 pm by Pwc »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement