Username: Password:

Author Topic: Got a 1911.  (Read 591 times)

TNFrank61

• Contributor
Got a 1911.
« on: June 18, 2020, 11:02:27 am »
Got a 1911 from work. Enjoy the vid, hopefully I'll get to shoot it soon and post another vid. Thanks for watching.  :thumbup

Luke 22:36 (NIV)
36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
- Ted Nugent

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

anm2_man

• Contributor
    Re: Got a 1911.
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 03:40:16 pm »
    ME Too.  Been in shooting most my adult life, but never owned a 1911 until last summer.  Its a Ruger (Looks just like yours), shoots good, I'm accurate with it, but ITS heavy and has spent the last 6 months a a safe queen.   I need to take it out soon,.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 08:53:29 am »
    This is probably my 6th or 7th 1911 over my lifetime. I get em', fix them up then remember that I don't like carrying "cocked n' locked" so I end up selling them but this one is going to be a keeper. If nothing else it'll be a great range gun and give me a nice piece of history that I can hold and shoot. Like I said, the triggers on 1911's are the best and that means generally that accuracy is also really good. Can't wait to get out and shoot it.
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 09:40:09 am »
    Dup Post
    « Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:07:49 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 09:50:32 am »
    Heavy, bulky, sometimes balky; I love the 1911; but I no longer own one. If I had my druthers; I'd have a SA Range Officer 9mm. It's got all the things I'd do myself, and is still waranteed.

I have been well educated about how to tweak them; but once done, I will neither lend nor sell one without reinstalling the original bits.

Nobody gets to "try" one of them. I am damned cautious about unintended consequences.

I've had the gamut. Straight GI, then a self built one from a GI Armorer's "Builder's" kit (Have you ever seen a No Name Slide?), a brief, sordid, and unsatisfying affair with the AMT Long Slide (rattle, rattle; waiting for it to cycle with 180 SWCs was like watching paint dry); and I won't mess with an Officer's Model. Some others, I tweaked until they begged for Mommy. They ended up neither lent nor sold, but gifted to trusted friends when I left NJ for NY, and "Just said NO" to the draconian NY State own/carry regs. I flatly refuse to bow down to some Judge and beg for a 'License' each and every time I want to own a handgun.

I did without and did just fine; gang bangers notwithstanding. Sometimes, avoidance actually works; but not all times. First, avoid cities...; they still ain't got me yet...

These days, the intent is to keep all my handgun caliber firearms chambered in 9mm; although the Wife has necessary reasons to go with .380. It's a minor caliber (I think...); but I still wouldn't stand in front of one and utter insults.

Greg
    « Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:13:12 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 11:58:15 am »
    Lately the manufacturers seem to have gotten the kinks worked out of getting the 9mm Parabellum to function reliably in the 1911 platform.  I still tend to prefer the .45 ACP in a 1911 but whatever caliber you choose the 1911 needs to be experienced.  Nothing else is quite like it.  I have no beef with modern designs - some of them are really quite good - but the old warhorse 1911 soldiers on for a reason. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 05:54:26 pm »
    Finally got out and shot the Loaded and wow, awesome handgun. Enjoy the vid and Thanks for watching. TN.Frank Out.  :thumbup

- Ted Nugent

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 08:05:37 am »
    TNFrank61 - Where is it you get to shoot out in the desert?

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 08:28:51 am »
    HA! Love it. Not sure if you are hitting the target but the spent casings are falling nicely into the 55 gallon steel drum.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

pscipio03

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 11:39:40 am »
    Not sure exactly how many I own from high end custom made to $350 Tisas.
    By far my favorite pistol platform and are what all other pistols are compared to.
    Shoot it and enjoy.

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 06:52:49 am »
    HA! Love it. Not sure if you are hitting the target but the spent casings are falling nicely into the 55 gallon steel drum.
    That was my 2004 Dodge Ram "Brass Catcher".  :rotfl

- Ted Nugent

RJ

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 07:11:03 am »
    Only problem with a 1911 platform, is that "one is not enough" :thumbup

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 10:22:32 am »
    That's why I plan on getting a second one.  :thumbup

- Ted Nugent

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 11:28:45 am »
    Took the Springfield out again yesterday and at 7 yards it's cutting one ragged hole center of aim in the target. Man, I love this gun. So far it's been 100% reliable with proper ammo and deadly accurate.  :thumbup

- Ted Nugent

20gauge

« Reply #14 on: Today at 02:05:22 pm »
    Congrats Frank! Hope it’s a keeper for you. Got my first 1911 in Tucson, 1975. $159.00 for a new Colt Mk IV Series 70 Government Model.

428CJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #15 on: Today at 02:48:19 pm »
    My first 1911 was a Remington Rand from WWII for $30.00 in 1964.
     :thumbup
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement