Username: Password:

Author Topic: just testing  (Read 498 times)

ynotaz

just testing
« on: June 20, 2020, 07:07:13 am »
testing
I gotta think about a new sig.  Hmmmmm?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    Re: just testing
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 07:20:49 am »
    testing

I got your signal 5 by 5 here Sir!  :thumbup

Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 11:22:39 am »
     :rotfl   Nice.   :thumbup
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 12:18:05 pm »
    :rotfl   Nice.   :thumbup

:-P  I knew all those years working at the drive-in (as a teen..yes teens did work once, long ago, in a distant galaxy) would pay off one day! I have a clever movie reference for many, many things....  ;-)
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 03:06:32 pm »
    And don't think we don't appreciate it.   :thumbup
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 03:44:56 pm »
    Yeah but I have no idea what she means by 5x5 because that's a radio reference and she appears to be talking flight path. 
    And then there is 5x9 which is only for Morse code and why people still do that is beyond me.  I mean, yes I know why, but it seems like you picked a hobby of putting bamboo wedges under your finger nails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_strength_and_readability_report
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 08:16:33 pm »
    Yeah but I have no idea what she means by 5x5 because that's a radio reference and she appears to be talking flight path. 
    And then there is 5x9 which is only for Morse code and why people still do that is beyond me.  I mean, yes I know why, but it seems like you picked a hobby of putting bamboo wedges under your finger nails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_strength_and_readability_report

It's HOLLYWOOD-LAND... They goof up things on a professional basis. From my limited experience with analog radio equipment & scale "swing needles" 5 by 5 was where you wanted to be, right in the middle... not too high or low.. :hmm

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 10:03:08 pm »
    I was intrigued by the reference when the movie was in theaters and asked somebody about it - a military or civilian pilot as best I recall - and that person told me he thought it was a reference to naval aviation.  Particularly, aircraft carrier landing operations where the aircraft trying to land on the carrier needed to be within a narrow approach window to land successfully.  Apparently "5x5" is good and means the aircraft is coming right down the pipe - so to speak.   :shrug    Sounded reasonable at the time. 
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 12:56:06 am »
    I'll buy that.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

CMore

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 07:02:27 am »
    As a radio term 5x5 would be referencing radio clarity or signal strength.. Something like saying  "loud and clear."
    K1CJM

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 07:47:41 am »
    Yup.
    Your first 5 is the signal strength - subjective.
    1 is low and 5 is high.  This is where you get the "loud" in "loud and clear."

Your second 5 is your ineligibility of communication - again subjective.
    And again 1 is low and 5 is high.  This is the "Clear" part of that phrase.

Communication grade is around 2 - good enough to get the job done but not without a lot of concentration, focus, listening, and then repeating to confirm.

You are probably wondering....   If someone gets a 5 on the first one, wouldn't that mean an automatic 5 on the second one?  Usually yes.  But there are occasional equipment issues: radios overheat, microphones get busted, there can be interference both incidental and malicious, sometimes environmental background noise.  So there are a lot of reasons why you might not get a second five automatically, but if its all in working order then the first 5 gets you the second five usually.

The funny thing is that some ham radio operators get all butt-hurt if you don't give them a 5x5 signal report.  They spent 10's of thousands of dollars on radios and cable and antennas and then you give them a 3x4 and they get their panties in a twist.  So a lot of guys throw 5x5 out there as a "Yeah, whatever!" Just to shut the other party up.  It can be the radio equivalent of "yes dear" and then go do what you want.

ynotaz

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 09:26:27 am »
    Feedback  5x5 or 5x9.  The test worked.   :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
    I gotta think about a new sig.  Hmmmmm?

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 01:38:31 pm »
     :thumbup

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 11:46:15 am »
    So, that ". . . ineligibility of communication . . ." you refer to - is that a "Cancel Culture" thing or a case of auto correct being your worst enema?   
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 12:15:32 pm »
    LOL!
    Definitely my worst enema.

intelligibility...

Or put differently: How much more gooder can you be understooded when you talkify.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 12:32:25 pm »
    Just razzin' you a little .  .  .   :beer
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 07:04:56 pm »
    Just razzin' you a little .  .  .   :beer

And done with style too... ;-D

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement