Username: Password:

Author Topic: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Review.  (Read 299 times)

TNFrank61

• Contributor
Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Review.
« on: June 25, 2020, 01:27:25 pm »
Had to pick up a new chronograph and this one seems like it's going to be a good one. Love the app you can add to your phone to keep track of things. Had to get a different cable for it to connect up but other than that it works great. Thanks for watching.  :thumbup

Luke 22:36 (NIV)
36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
- Ted Nugent

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    Re: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph Review.
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 09:26:34 pm »
    Good review.  Thanks.   :thumbup
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Clifffalling

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 07:53:55 am »
    Mine took a hit at 10 feet from 325grain .458 socom... through and through. Little camo duct tape, still works. Went to there website and picked up extra set of shades and rods. Very happy with it for basic numbers.
    Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

patkelly4370

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 08:21:42 am »
    I got the Caldwell chrony several years ago in the Cabalas  bargin cave, $50.
    I have yet to use it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 01:59:10 pm »
    When I shoot .45 ACP and the angle of the sun is right you can see the FMJ's as they go down range toward the target.  Haven't got the heart to actually measure the speed of such a leisurely projectile but I imagine this Caldwell unit might be just the thing for rifle bullets.
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JT

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 11:43:16 am »
    I have a Caldwell because I was cheap. I had it out yesterday and had to leave the shades off to get it to work. It is touchy. I had to be about 6" above the unit and parallel. Works best when I am shooting from a rest. I was testing some 410 slug loads and tested some 22lr while I was at it. 36 grain fed bulk hvhp was 1064 fps from my 22-45 lite. Perfect for the suppressor. 1250 fps in the Charger. Aguila target was 1020 in the Charger. Over 4.5" of barrel and HV goes supersonic.

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 01:10:24 pm »
    Here's how you set up the app so it'll work. :thumbup

36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 02:48:04 pm »
    Well, I'm exchanging the chrono for another one, hopefully that'll work. 45acp seemed to work ok with FMJ but my HP loads were easilly 100fps over listed value and my 38 special was giving over 1400 fps out of a 1.875" bbl, no way that's happening. I hope the new one will work better, if not it'll go back to and I'll get another F1 like I had before.

- Ted Nugent

Clifffalling

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 05:09:31 pm »
    It may be catching blast... i was testing my blackhawk bisley with 3.75in barrel....wasnt getting good powder burn with one particular type... was getting velocities of 5000fps! Lol.
    Was just too close

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 11:27:19 am »
    I sent it back and requested a new unit. I'll give it a try but I really don't think the one I had was catching the blast or unburned powder since I had moved it from 9 feet all the way back to 12 feet and it was still giving wonky readings.

- Ted Nugent

Clifffalling

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:34:26 pm »
    Well, thats a bummer. I would love to have one of the doppler units, just cant justify the $$$.

JT

« Reply #11 on: Today at 06:26:44 pm »
    I have been looking at the Magnetospeed Sporter. Shop around for a better price. Optics Planet has it for $159 with free shipping.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016429780?pid=896627
    « Last Edit: Today at 06:29:30 pm by JT »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement