Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ammo Difference  (Read 1409 times)

Doug-e90

• Lurker
Ammo Difference
« on: June 26, 2020, 12:52:58 pm »
I feel like this is a stupid questions, but I'm a new rifle owner, so I just wanna be sure I buy the right ammo. I have a 5.56 AR. Is there a difference between 223 and .223 ammo or are they the same?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

qkarl

Re: Ammo Difference
    « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 12:58:30 pm »
    There are some slight differences but you can put both 5.56 ammo and .223 ammo inside a 5.56 AR. Typically, .223 will be slightly slower than 5.56.

Doug-e90

• Lurker
    « Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 01:01:29 pm »
    So 223 is 5.56 then, right?

qkarl

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 01:06:13 pm »
    5.56 is different from .223, but they are similar enough that a 5.56 gun can shoot .223. It's not recommended to go the other way around (shoot 5.56 ammo in a .223 gun) since the 5.56 ammo produces greater pressures in the gun than .223 ammo. Here's a pretty decent explanation of the differences between the two rounds that I'd recommend taking a look at: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 04:57:22 pm »
    I feel like this is a stupid questions, but I'm a new rifle owner, so I just wanna be sure I buy the right ammo. I have a 5.56 AR. Is there a difference between 223 and .223 ammo or are they the same?

Not stupid question at all. They are very similar cartridges; if you know pistols(?) think .357 magnum revolver...you can shoot 38spl cartridges (shorter OAL over all length & lower pressure) but not the other way around due to the .357 being too long in a 38spl chamber/cyclinder & higher pressures. So even though some "special chambers" marked .223 WYLDE will accept 5.56 cartridges the safe bet is: if it says .223 on the barrel, only use .223. If it says 5.56 you can use both .223 & 5.56
     :thumbsup
    « Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 05:07:22 pm by FreeInAZ »
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 05:03:07 pm »
    5.56 is different from .223, but they are similar enough that a 5.56 gun can shoot .223. It's not recommended to go the other way around (shoot 5.56 ammo in a .223 gun) since the 5.56 ammo produces greater pressures in the gun than .223 ammo. Here's a pretty decent explanation of the differences between the two rounds that I'd recommend taking a look at: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

YEP ^^^ :thumbup
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

Unpleasant

• Black on ammo due to celebratory fire.
    « Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 08:46:03 pm »
    The brand and the weight of the bullet are going to have the most effect on the accuracy. You'll find if you buy a bunch of 20rnd boxes of different weights and brands.. be a little scientific about shooting groups with them, and you'll find that some loads definitely stand out ahead of others with the grouping. I realize today is kind of a "find whatever you can get your hands on" type availability. If it's a scoped rifle.. Try the 64-77gr hornady, BH, or IMI ammo. If it's irons or a red dot, anything goes.

Usually M855 we have access to is Lake city rejects, and you shouldn't expect too much from it.

Sabertooth

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 07:22:23 pm »

Nailed it!

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 11:56:25 am »
    The 223's are considered more accurate due to differing chamber dimensions and neck diameters.

In an effort to be able to shoot both in a more accurate chamber, the Wylde chamber design was inaugurated. All of my AR15's and '223' bolt guns have either 5.56 Chambers or Wylde Chambers, and I can shoot both types of ammunition in all of them.

The issue with the 223 chamber and the 5.56 case design is that the 5.56 has thicker metal in the necks which are intended for better survival in machine gun applications. In addition to a hotter 5.56 load, this has the potential to create overpressure spikes by restricting neck expansion and bullet release. The military has no interest in reloading, and is interested primarily in preventing feed jams in automatic weapons. Cases fired in such automatic weapons may be stretched to an unsuitable length for reloading because of the generous chamber dimensions intended reduce those feed jams.

Where 308/7.62x51 is involved, that stretching can be even more serious.

Also note that the recent resurgence of the Hornady Frontier Brand has included ammunition labeled as 223 as well as other ammunition labeled as 5.56, and each is specifically loaded to the different cartridge specs. Read those labels.

Much of this is considered by some as conjectural. Regardless; it is still wiser to follow the convention of restricting 223 chambers to 223 headstamped brass.

This is particularly important to handloaders, who may be picking up range brass composed of both sorts of cases. Care must be exercised to cull the 5.56 from cases destined for use in 223 chambers. Also, nearly all factory 5.56 ammunition has crimped primers.

Greg
    « Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 12:09:51 pm by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

grayland

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 12:29:12 pm »
    All great replies. 
    There is information there for more experienced GOs as well as someone new the game.
    NRA Member; AZCDL Member; CCW; 2A Supporter
    https://azcdl.org/

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement