Username: Password:

Author Topic: Low key shooting spots (non range) close to the valley  (Read 1946 times)

2nd Amendment Firearms

Low key shooting spots (non range) close to the valley
« on: December 30, 2012, 06:29:23 pm »
Hey guys, Im going shooting with a few friend this Saturday. Im looking for a good place that isnt terribly busy. I've only gone to queen valley before but would like to try a new place. I live in west mesa. I was looking at the shooting map and saw sugar loaf and four peaks. Any idea as to how busy those areas get on a saturday morning? any comments would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

PJD.R100/7

Re: Low key shooting spots (non range) close to the valley
    « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 07:18:45 pm »
    I’m looking as well.  Wish there was a BLM app. 

xdm5.25

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 07:44:27 pm »
     :coffee :coffee :coffee

Kablooie

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 11:41:19 pm »
    you actually have ammo to shoot? :D

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 01:35:11 am »
    Pretty sure after almost 8 YEARS the OP found a place to shoot assuming they haven't passed away of OLD AGE?  :saywhat

NECRO post top 10 of the this year (2020) candidate  :yes :zombie :zombie :zombie :zombie :zombie :zombie

Just razzing you resurrection poster.. :rotfl ...it's all good & you got your 10th post in! CONGRATULATIONS!  :happydance :beer
    « Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 02:46:30 am by FreeInAZ »
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

KingGlamis

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 04:11:55 am »
    My secret spot has remained spotlessly clean for the 10+ years I have been shooting there so it shall remain a secret. My advice is to FIND a spot that is legal and safe to shoot at, but that no other shooters know of.

Headed to the store for water and snacks now, then off to go shooting today. And yes, I have plenty of ammo.
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.” Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

• Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 09:35:00 am »
    That's the problem with this forum.  We all like to shoot but no one will share places to go.

delta6

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 11:48:55 am »
    That's the problem with this forum.  We all like to shoot but no one will share places to go.
    So we are the problem...Hmm :whistle
    Good to know.... :facepalm

• Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 12:44:15 pm »
    So we are the problem...Hmm :whistle
    Good to know.... :facepalm
    I don't know if you are.  Do you share with members where possible shooting areas are located?

grayland

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 01:10:59 pm »
    I have posted this before...but I use an app that will show the ownership type of land in a map setting.
    It is primarily intended for hunters, etc but works fantastic (for me) to identify the BLM land.  It shows all ownership including private, Forest Service, State Trust Land.
    It also shows trails and the rough roads into areas.  I find some BLM land with something that looks like a elevated area that could be a backdrop for shooting and go check it out.
    Finding spots is part of the fun.  Works for me and it may help some to find BLM land near them to check out.

The app is onX Hunt.  It is a pay app but I remember that is is pretty cheap.
    NRA Member; AZDL Member; CCW; 2A Supporter

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 01:35:42 pm »
    I’m looking as well.  Wish there was a BLM app.

You mean like Gaia GPS?
    https://www.gaiagps.com/
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

• Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 04:49:09 pm »
    You mean like Gaia GPS?
    https://www.gaiagps.com/
    GTGallop - Thank you for suggesting.  I signed up for it and see how it works.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 07:50:13 am »
    It has a TON of map layers you can download.
    AZG&F Hunting Layers
    Private / Public Land Layers
    Mining / Mineral Layers
    Precipitation Forecast 24/48 hours layers
    MVUM - Motor Vehicle Use Map Layers to show what off road trails you can drive on

I used it out on Table Mesa Road looking to find the Ghost Town of Gillett, AZ and a dirt track from Anthem to Black Canyon City if the Freeway ever gets shut down in an accident and I have an imperative need to leave that won't wait.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It also lets you create map layers by importing KML or GPX files.  So I went out and loaded in all of the Amateur Radio Repeaters off of RepeaterBook.com as a layer so I could see what I was close to and what mountains or other terrain elevation obstacles may prevent me from hitting one of the repeater towers, since that is a system I rely on while off road.  I've found Gaia to be nothing less than stellar - and it works with Apple Car Play so instead of navigating on a tiny screen I have the big screen on the dash board.

Any way - One of the map layers of the thousands I was using had "Recreational Shooting Locations" marked on it.  And as you would also guess, there were some shooting locations I didn't have on the map.  I guess they are kind of satellite places that people created when the designated places were full.  So you can tell which ones are official and which ones may be a little more risky.
    « Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 07:52:45 am by GTGallop »
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement