Username: Password:

Author Topic: IMHO, black-powder guns or muzzle-loaders  (Read 975 times)

MisterDoeMan

IMHO, black-powder guns or muzzle-loaders
« on: July 24, 2020, 09:24:16 pm »
are both impractical and unsafe as personal defense weapons in modern times: they require special equipment and skills to deal with properly: they can be quite unreliable in an emergency also; they're not too wet-weather friendly; black powder is a dangerous explosive

I believe black powder might even be shock, static-electricity or friction sensitive.

I suppose in their heyday they were considered an improvement over long bows, clubs and spears still. Soldiers of the pre-repeating/pre-smokeless powder eras still thought it prudent to back up muskets with swords and daggers.

"Better to have a gun and never need it than need a gun and not have it."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

armoredman

• Contributor
    Re: IMHO, black-powder guns or muzzle-loaders
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 10:50:06 pm »
    While my 1851 Pietta Navy .44 might not be my first or second, or third choice, to be honest, but if it was my ONLY choice, I'd use it. Modern black powder and substitutes are better than the original, and caps are better. The loading system is, compared to changing a magazine, insanely slow, but again, if it was my only choice, I'd use it. The invention of powder missile weapons changed the battlefield forever.
    In the meantime my CZ P-10C works just fine,  :thumbup

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 03:04:46 am »
    While my 1851 Pietta Navy .44 might not be my first or second, or third choice, to be honest, but if it was my ONLY choice, I'd use it. Modern black powder and substitutes are better than the original, and caps are better. The loading system is, compared to changing a magazine, insanely slow, but again, if it was my only choice, I'd use it. The invention of powder missile weapons changed the battlefield forever.
    In the meantime my CZ P-10C works just fine,  :thumbup
    @Armoredman-
    The only winning move with this poster is.... not to play....
    Or maybe ask him to play a "nice game of forum chess"? And for goodness sakes, do not mention rotary phones :doh

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 03:11:18 am by FreeInAZ »
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 07:49:52 am »
     :smh   .  .  .  .  .   :rotfl
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 09:26:31 pm »
    I'd bet my life on any cap and ball in my collection. With properly fitted balls, a ring of lead is shaved off of them when loading, ensuring a perfect air and water tight seal. Properly fitted nipples are likewise water resistant. I've kept a loaded 1860 Army for well over a year in a dresser drawer and it shot 5/5 when I took it out. There are folks who have inherited cap and ball rifles that have been loaded since the 1800s and they simply added a new cap and fired em. There is a lot of myth surrounding the reliability of muzzleloaders, most of which I believe was started by those manufacturing cartridge weapons
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 02:01:52 am »
    Oh, but rotary phones are the best.... ;-D :thumbup I actually did threaten staff at one duty post that if they didn't quit screwing around with the phones system I was going to replace them all with rotary phones just to watch them go nuts.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement