Username: Password:

Author Topic: ANOTHER gun safe thread... kind of...  (Read 417 times)

DClayton

ANOTHER gun safe thread... kind of...
« on: August 04, 2020, 11:52:37 am »
More of a storage question really for those of you with little kids.

I currently have a simple hook system on the side of the bed that an AR or pistol can sit on. I can literally reach down and grab a weapon within seconds and its already pointing in the right direction. Well with the imminent arrival of baby no. 1, I'm in need of a new system.

How do you keep a firearm easily accessible but secured from chubby little fingers getting at it? I know there's no ideal answer just curious as to what you guys do/did.

I keep all my guns (apart from my HD weapon) in a locked box that I built that is under the bed. Not concerned about them getting into that that as even I struggle to remove it from under there and its got a cable lock and a combo lock.

Do I go with something like a 24 gun safe next to the bed and have everything in there (ammo etc). Mount a weapon above the bed (wife would kill me).

Looking forward to your responses

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    Re: ANOTHER gun safe thread... kind of...
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 02:25:19 pm »
    Well, its going to be a while before baby No. 1 ( congratulations on the new addition  :thumbup ) is going to be able to do anything other than drool on Dad's gun so you have some time to try different solutions.  My brother went with a Kydex, child proof trigger guard block that can be removed quickly in an emergency by pulling on an attached lanyard.  I forget the name of the manufacturer but his little one couldn't budge the thing - his wife even had trouble with it. 

My solution was a double wound 22 pound recoil spring on the .45 Super, 1911 and an empty chamber with a full magazine.  My son couldn't budge the thing until he was five or six years old and my wife still can't.  It still does bedroom duty in the rotation when there are young ones in the house.  A long gun in a saddle scabbard can be hung on the bedside like your hook arrangement and it keeps sticky little fingers off the gun.  A method of securing the gun in the scabbard can be tricky but a pin through the sides on a plaited leather strap has worked well for me.  Ultimately, nothing will secure your gun for long outside of a safe.  Gun-proofing your kids starts with teaching them about your guns - not making them a taboo subject that is completely avoided. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

DClayton

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 03:22:16 pm »
    Yeah 100% agree about educating them early about what they are and what not to do with them. It’s the one in a million accident that I’m hoping to avoid

Never even thought of the scabbard type arrangement! I really like that idea

patkelly4370

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 03:27:04 pm »
    Education trumps deterrence.
    I, my Wife, and our children all grew up with firearms in the home.
    Only got a safe because it became a law with minors in the home.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

grayland

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 03:31:30 pm »
    Congratulation on the new Baby!   It was great to meet you yesterday.  Thanks for the excellent transaction.

The sudden addition of children is always a worry for gun owners.  It is a good thing that you have time to work out a comfortable solution before it is truly needed.
    My solution was to keep them close by but away from where the littles could get to them.  When they were big I spent a lot of time with them and the guns so that they had no curiosity or need to fool with them except when we were together.  It does work.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 03:34:50 pm by grayland »
    NRA Member
    AZCDL Member
    CCW
    2A Supporter for over 60 years

Dullahan

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 03:41:38 pm »
    Congrats on the incoming live round! My solution as the kids were growing was a biometric safe for the long gun in the bedroom closet, mounted to the wall. There's lots of options for this kind of safe. With some you wear an RFID bracelet which will open the safe when you're in range of the lock's receiver. Others (like the one I used) work off an optical scanner that reads your fingerprint to release the lock. Since my kids are just now exiting the house, I just listed it for sale a few days ago. Check out the gear marketplace here if you're interested in seeing how it works. But as others have said in reply to your post, education is the best preventative.

82echo

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 05:22:28 pm »
    When my kids were young, I used a trigger lock.

Clifffalling

Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 08:04:13 pm »
    I had a StackOn metal locker.  Holds 5 or 6 long guns and a pistol or two.  Meets all legal requirements and keeps your stuff out of view.

Just because you put a trigger lock on it doesn't mean it won't have tapioca pudding poured between the barrel and shroud.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 10:03:20 pm »
    Part of my company is Surelock Securities.. specialize in a different assortment of safes..
    Check em out
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life... -Winston Churchill

Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

grayland

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 06:38:11 am »
    Part of my company is Surelock Securities.. specialize in a different assortment of safes..
    Check em out

I am looking for a small safe (18-24) and have not looked at Surelock and really am not familiar with them.
    Is there a simple site to compare with Liberty or someone like them?

Who is a good dealer/supplier resource?
    Thanks
    NRA Member
    AZCDL Member
    CCW
    2A Supporter for over 60 years

RetroG

• Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 03:33:23 pm »
    So I had all my guns in a locked closet with the firing pins removed (this was before I got a safe) with a handgun in the bedside stand.  That one had a loaded magazine & empty chamber.  When the kid got past the crawling stage, I got a biometric safe just big enough for the handgun.

Eventually I had a full blown safe, but still had my carry handgun secured that way at night, just with a round in the chamber.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 06:11:54 am »
    When our daughter was born, I did the same with the rifles - Took out the firing pins.
    But my wife insisted that my night time security pistol be:
    1. Taken apart
    2. Trigger Locked
    3. Locked in a box
    4. In the top shelf of the closet
    5. Ammo locked in another box on another shelf.

Getting to the pistol was a 5 minute task at best with 2:15 AM bleary eyes.

Know how I fixed that?  Every time there was a bump in the night that she wanted me to "get the gun and go check it out" I threw the keys and flashlight to her and told her that she can go check it out.  Then I rolled over and went to sleep.  Took about three or four bumps before she let me get a small keypad lock for beside the bed.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement