Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Corona Hobby - Lock Picking  (Read 1544 times)

GTGallop

• N5MKH
  • Administrator
    • QRZ - N5MKH
Re: New Corona Hobby - Lock Picking
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2020, 07:09:39 am »
The YouTube Channel that got me into this damn thing now has a web site to get quality tools from so you aren't stuck with the Cheapo Tools from Amazon.

https://covertinstruments.com/

Covert Instruments is a disruptive force in the fields of covert entry and locksport. Because our principals are experienced leaders in these fields, we are in a unique position to develop and produce tools that will be appreciated by both professionals and hobbyists alike. Our philosophy is a simple one: create tools that are a cut above their peers in conception, production, and function. We believe in superior functionality, concealable design, and multiple uses.
The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #26 on: November 15, 2020, 05:21:24 pm »
    Thanks for the heads up.   :thumbup
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Skip

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2020, 10:23:19 am »
    Is it for the skills development to use the picks rather than a snap gun?

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #28 on: November 17, 2020, 06:12:59 am »
    Pretty much.  I've had no exposure really to the Zip Gun / Snap Gun.
    Also the term "Locksport?"  People actually have competitions that they fly around to competing in tournaments?  Makes bowling look exciting.  Not in it for that either.

Basically I don't do well with "NO." So I'd like to have the skills and equipment to go where I want and do what I want when I want to.

Perfect Use Case Scenario:
    This actually happened.
    I was out for a leisurely on pavement country drive around Bartlett (IIRC).
    The road had a fence along it and there was a gate for a dirt road.  The gate was locked with a single master-lock on a chain and Forest Service or BLM or some agency sign that the trail was closed.
    On the other side of the gate was a guy in a Tacoma.  He had planed a three day off road camping overlanding trip that terminated at that gate where he could pick up the road back to town.  He had enough gas to get from there to the gas station but not enough to back track to where he went in to the wilderness and there wasn't enough cell signal to plot a different course out.  Dude was kinda screwed.

If I had a lock picking set and the skills at the time, I could have let him out, and locked the gate back.  Technically breaking the law? Yes.  But that gate was there to keep people on the pavement side from going off road there and he was already on the other side and in violation.  All he wanted was back out of the wilderness.  Didn't have the skills or the tools at the time so I didn't take that route.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

RetroG

• Contributor
    « Reply #29 on: November 23, 2020, 11:31:13 pm »
    Back in High School a few of us got pretty good at picking locks as we had teachers that forgot their keys sometimes.

It’s been quite a few years, so I’m really out of practice.  Might be interesting to pick back up.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement