Username: Password:

Author Topic: Dovetail mounted red dot?  (Read 1015 times)

SP0One

Dovetail mounted red dot?
« on: September 05, 2020, 11:31:16 am »
I am wanting to explore the world of slide mounted red Dot. The pistol I want to put it on is CZ 75 and I know I can get the slide milled but the wait would be 8 weeks and it would cost about 400 bucks and I'm not even sure if I would like red dots. Has anybody had success with a rear dovetail mounted red dot? Springer precision makes one for 50 bucks but I'm curious as to the longevity of that type of mount knowing the g-forces that come from slide reciprocation. Any advice would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 11:38:05 am by SP0won »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

SP0One

Re: Dovetail mounted red dot?
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 11:31:43 am »
     Accidentally double posted.
    « Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 11:43:20 am by SP0won »

RetroG

• Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 01:51:34 pm »
    The dovetail slide mounts are much stronger than the red dots mounted to them.  I've used them on several different handguns, and the best I've found so far are those from EGW.  A little pricey for machined aluminum, but they fit what they are supposed to fit, no problems.

The red dots help just about everyone shoot better, especially with aging eyes, as you don't focus on the front and rear sights and the target, you just focus on the target and the dot is in the same focal plane.  The disadvantage with the dovetail mounted sights is that they are sitting significantly higher than the iron sights, and until you get used to them, you can be hunting for the red dot.  Consistent presentation and returning to the same position after recoil are key.

870policemag

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 04:33:23 pm »
    ^^^This^^^

Another added advantage of RDSs on handguns is accuracy. These are my groups at 30 yards. The flyer to the bottom left was intentional. I was finding a different area to shoot at and ran dry.
    I have zero experience shooting with a dovetail mount. I have also noticed that they sit higher and take a little more getting used to. The reason why spent some much on my ZEV slide is because of how low they cut their optic mounts.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

www.mesapawn.net

870policemag

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 04:39:19 pm »
    I never got groups like this with irons.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

www.mesapawn.net

SP0One

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 07:49:59 pm »
    Just checked EGW and appear to be out of stock for CZ75 but I will keep my eye on their site. That group is incredible for that distance and I hope that with enough practice I will be able to train past the searching for the dot issue. Thanks for your insight gentlemen!

Ruh-roh

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 07:55:26 pm »
    I have EGW and Springer mounts on CZs. Both quality products and I expect them to perform equally for a long time. On the CZ forum there is a member using a Springer with thousands of rnds fired and no problem.

SP0One

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 11:33:46 am »
    Thanks just pulled the trigger on a springer mount I know it's a good deal higher than milling I just want to make sure I'm going to like it as I've heard some people had issues adapting to. I love the single focal point aspect and I really like the idea of being able to keep both eyes open. Thanks again!

SP0One

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 03:36:55 pm »
    Got the Springer Mount on. Took a little bit of sanding (and hammering) but it's on there very tight. It feels like I have to tip the gun down when I'm aiming but with enough repetitions I'm sure that will pass!

Clifffalling

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 03:56:53 pm »
    Thats pretty sharp.  Let us know how it turns out after you send a few down range.
    Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

SP0One

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 04:13:05 pm »
    Took it to the range got it zeroed and it held there for 250 rounds no problems. Feels like I'm tipping the gun down to find the dot but I'm sure with time I will get used to it. Thanks again for the advice.

Clifffalling

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 05:28:49 am »
    Excellent. I'm glad it worked out. Its good to know there is an alternative to getting the slide cut, or having to buy one.
    Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement