Username: Password:

Author Topic: CCW in Az for new resident  (Read 1120 times)

WildBillHiccup

CCW in Az for new resident
« on: September 09, 2020, 07:53:28 am »
Hi All, i am new here, moved to Az from Commiefornia 2 weeks ago. I had a CCW in Ca for 6 years. I know i dont have to get one to CC in Az but i want to. Whats the easiest way to get a resident CCW in Az? Will any of the multi-state online apps apply or do i need to go the conventional way and take a class?
thank you

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

PogoJack

• Contributor
    • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
    Re: CCW in Az for new resident
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 08:18:14 am »
    Hi All, i am new here, moved to Az from Commiefornia 2 weeks ago. I had a CCW in Ca for 6 years. I know i dont have to get one to CC in Az but i want to. Whats the easiest way to get a resident CCW in Az? Will any of the multi-state online apps apply or do i need to go the conventional way and take a class?
    thank you
    Welcome to AZ, from a fellow DPRK refugee who came 3 years ago.

Please make sure you sign up to AZCDL, they are instrumental in protecting your Arizona 2A rights!

For CCW, A 4 or 8 hour class works.  I got mine at Scottsdale Gun Club, but lots of LGS, Sportsman's Warehouse and ranges hold these classes.

The classes will fingerprint you and help you fill out the app, which you will send with your check to AZDPS.

Turnaround time in 2018 for me,  was 2 week.

Good luck and welcome!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

grayland

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 11:18:53 am »
    Basic Info:

Get application on line
    Need two sets of fingerprint cards   (Diamondback Guns are still doing them)
    Need evidence of Gun Safety class.  (you probably had one in California..send certificate copy)
    Send copy of Calif CCW.

Pay with Money order...all filled out properly.  I neglected to fill in the "sellers" address and they returned my application for correction.  ;-D

Very simple and took less than 2 weeks including the return fiasco.

NRA Member; AZDL Member; CCW; 2A Supporter

WildBillHiccup

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 02:42:12 pm »
    THanks! I didnt see much use in going thru another training. I have certs for several re-certifications in Ca. i would assume those would suffice.

grayland

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 02:47:32 pm »
    The on-line application gives the exact requirements of the training...but it is very basic.  Your courses in California will, no doubt, be sufficient.

The fingerprint cards can be the most difficult to obtain.  Most of the Police/Sheriff departments where you might normally looked are not doing them due to Covid.

Diamondback Guns is still doing them on the required forms.

WildBillHiccup

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 02:57:24 pm »
    Oops, i just noticed DB is way down in Tuscon. Is there anyone in the phoenix area that will do the fingerprints?
    thanks
    « Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 04:33:21 pm by WildBillHiccup »

Clifffalling

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 06:22:50 pm »
    I dont live in Phx,  but your local PD or Sheriff dept may do them... just give a call.

They do up here. Minimal cost, you just have to bring your own cards.
    However, call DPS ccw division and talk with them... they will tell you exactly what you do or do not need since you have and active one from CA.
    https://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp
    Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 05:29:21 am »
    THanks! I didnt see much use in going thru another training. I have certs for several re-certifications in Ca. i would assume those would suffice.

Yes and no.

Technically they will get you in and licensed.  But...
    You still need to know AZ gun laws because they differ wildly from CA.  Sure you can safely handle the pistol.  Sure you can peacefully de-escalate a situation. But I don't want to see you lose your rights on a firearms violation charge because you did something here you thought was legal.  Four hours and $100 should get you the information you need to know and it is cheap insurance.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 05:53:15 am »
    +1 for GT -  You do need to get up to speed on the state of Arizona's gun laws.  I also would recommend that you pick up Alan Korwin's AZ Gun owners guide https://www.gunlaws.com/agog.htm.   Good info in there.

If your just interested in in Fingerprinting, check these guys out -> https://www.arizonalivescan.com/ for just fingerprinting.   

and Welcome to AZ

:thumbup
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

WildBillHiccup

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 07:12:13 am »
    Thanks all for the great advise.

WildBillHiccup

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 09:22:05 am »
    Thanks all for the great advise.
    I called the AZDPS this morning, they said they would take my calif ccw as being trained, so i only have to get finger print cards and pay the 60 bucks.
    Thanks again.

AZ Husker

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 05:19:56 pm »
    Many UPS stores will do fingerprints.

Mr. Nobody

• Trigger warning: I'm not PC.
    « Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 05:58:23 pm »
    Many UPS stores will do fingerprints.

All of them I tried calling months back were not doing it due to Coronavirus BS.

As anm2_man said above, I recommended Live Scan. They're in Phoenix is their central location, I used them. They're professional, do good prints, and it's fully digital done, no ink.

I had them do my CCW and my state professional licenses I needed to renew. They're good and price is around the same as UPS.
    There is nothing more deceptive then an obvious fact. - Sherlock Holmes

Memento Mori

patkelly4370

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 07:19:21 pm »
    I know some rolled their own prints and didn't have an issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CMore

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 12:29:02 am »
    I called the AZDPS this morning, they said they would take my calif ccw as being trained, so i only have to get finger print cards and pay the 60 bucks.
    Thanks again.

So do they accept a photo copy of your CCW?
    K1CJM

WildBillHiccup

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 08:06:06 am »
    Yes, I scanned it with my PC along with all my training's. It will all be mailed in the next day or so.

grayland

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 10:58:25 am »
    Oops, i just noticed DB is way down in Tuscon. Is there anyone in the phoenix area that will do the fingerprints?
    thanks

Sorry about that....Forgot that many (most) members are not in the Tucson area. :thumbup

WildBillHiccup

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 03:34:36 pm »
    No problem, I got them done at UPS in Scottsdale, there were digital scans.

Casswick

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 02:22:57 pm »
    Welcome to AZ, from a fellow DPRK refugee who came 3 years ago.

Please make sure you sign up to AZCDL, they are instrumental in protecting your Arizona 2A rights!

For CCW, A 4 or 8 hour class works.  I got mine at Scottsdale Gun Club, but lots of LGS, Sportsman's Warehouse and ranges hold these classes.

The classes will fingerprint you and help you fill out the app, which you will send with your check to AZDPS.

Turnaround time in 2018 for me,  was 2 week.

Good luck and welcome!

Good info.  I just signed up for Scottsdale Gun Club.  They do the fingerprinting as part of the 4hr class?
    "...the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging and kicking them into obedience." —Aldous Huxley to George Orwell

PogoJack

• Contributor
    • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
    « Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 05:12:21 pm »
    Good info.  I just signed up for Scottsdale Gun Club.  They do the fingerprinting as part of the 4hr class?
    I took the 8 hour and they did it. I'm sure the 4 hour does as well. They have a person there who does it in class. When you are done,  you must need to mark it all in with the $60 and that's it.

Your local mailbox/shipping/notary will usually do fingerprinting too.

Good luck!

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement