Username: Password:

Author Topic: Better to sell scope with or without rifle?  (Read 2351 times)

Weatherby

Better to sell scope with or without rifle?
« on: September 16, 2020, 03:28:24 pm »
Opinions on selling a used rifle with a mounted scope or sell rifle and scope separately if the used rifle value is ~ $1500 and used scope value is ~ $500?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    Re: Better to sell scope with or without rifle?
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 03:49:23 pm »
    It most likely depends on a number of factors.

If your $500 rifle optic has a brand name that is not popular with your target audience, then it may not contribute much to the value of the package.

Example:  I used to, almost exclusively, use Nikon optics on my rifles.  I liked them but it seemed like others didn't think all that highly of them.  While the Nikon Optics likely would not detract from my asking price on a rifle, it also would not add to the perceived value since there was a good chance the rifles new owner was going to replace the Nikon Optics with something else.
    « Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 03:55:16 pm by Marx-ism's »
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 08:12:30 pm »
    ^ This ^.  Too many variables unless you're talking about a collector piece.  An early Weatherby with a Weatherby scope up top is a rare combo and thus attractive to those who collect such things.  When I am buying or selling a scoped combo I always have a price in mind for either piece or both together.
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

CZ

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 09:05:27 pm »
    Like what has already been pointed out,  often what you perceive as a good scope may not be what the future buyer would want on that rifle so,  it only has a disposable value to them...   Most of the time I would rather save on the cost of the rifle so I can add the optics of my choosing..

GTGallop

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 06:04:57 am »
    Separately
    Gun $1500
    Scope $500

Together
    Combo Discount = 10%

Discount is not based on the value of either but on your time not having to meet up for two sales.

Weatherby

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 08:33:39 am »
    Thanks for the feedback...much appreciated.

ethanjordan

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 09:42:04 pm »
    i think ita a decision that should be taking personally

Earl Cordova

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 06:45:51 am »
    I have almost always done better selling items separately than as a package.

The buyer may not think your package makes sense, or they don't have enough money to afford the entire package.

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 08:55:04 am »
    When I buy a used firearm that has a scope, I usually remove the scope, and turn around and sell it. Or I keep it as a spare if it has some actual value to my own activities.

That used scope has two strikes against it. I buy my scopes for their specific features, and those intentions are usually not the ones the original buyer had. I also have no idea what the scope has been subjected to, and although it's nice to trust everyone, there's no way to verify the intentions of a stranger.

So really, a rifle without a scope has more value to me than one that has one.

If I want a scope, I buy it new.

Greg
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 09:36:48 am »
    Your points are well taken and the price of used scopes reflects that degree of caution by most of us.  That said, I have picked up a few nice older scopes that conform to my needs and saved a pile of money in the process.  I have an olde Weaver K4 that will probably outlive all of us.   :thumbup
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 10:27:39 am »
    If you give us an idea of what rifle and scope we're talking about here, we can give you better resale advice.  ;-)
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 12:50:25 pm »
    If you give us an idea of what rifle and scope we're talking about here, we can give you better resale advice.  ;-)

IT"S CLASSIFIED!
    This message will self destruct in 10 hours 870policemag... ;-)

Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 01:38:56 pm »
     :rotfl
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 02:09:11 pm »
    I think, (not certain) that the OP is playing the ever popular new seller wanting to off load "gems" here game of: getting those damn 10 posts required in so he can just slap up the rifle here for sale on post 11, after cleverly generating interest in his posts... :rolleyes
    But, I admit I'm a bit jaded, & hope to be wrong.  ;-)
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 03:30:15 pm »
    Well, any post(s) that generate noticeable discussion are a good thing in my book - even if they are for the purpose of generating commerce.   :coffee
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 08:28:08 am »
    Commerce is good...
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

Weatherby

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2020, 11:36:32 am »
    I am the originator of the post and joined so that I good get feedback from members on topics I am interested in that relate to the shooting sports. At some point I may have a gun or two to sell...or purchase...and I was interested in your opinions. I received some excellent feedback...Thank-you. In the past I have sold or traded guns to dealers and felt I got the short end of the stick, so my question went out to the members in an effort to understand how potential buyers think. I intend to use this site for information and occasionally to provide feedback when I have something to offer to the readers. And some day I might sell or trade or purchase a firearm on this site.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #17 on: October 09, 2020, 07:43:29 pm »
    All good.   :thumbup
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

markopolo50

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2020, 04:36:46 pm »
    I would always take the scope and rings off and sell the bare gun.  Used rings aren't worth too much but used scopes can be sold easily, just price them accordingly.  Other sites are like auctions and might be better on higher priced optics.  Of course, this is just another opinion.

medved

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2022, 09:09:25 am »
    I would always take the scope and rings off and sell the bare gun.  Used rings aren't worth too much but used scopes can be sold easily, just price them accordingly.  Other sites are like auctions and might be better on higher priced optics.  Of course, this is just another opinion.

Same here. I sell my rifles without scopes and sell the scopes separately. If I buy a used gun that has a scope I want I'll buy it if the combo is fairly priced.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement