Username: Password:

Author Topic: How many weapons, how much ammo?  (Read 6074 times)

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
    • Greg Langelius *
Re: How many weapons, how much ammo?
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2020, 08:37:55 am »
...Well; if he could...
Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

fr3db3ar

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2020, 11:16:25 am »
    How many and what guns and ammo do i have?????

NUNYA DB

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CZ

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2020, 04:21:43 pm »
    I got 6 high powered slingshots a pile of gravel...

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #28 on: September 27, 2020, 04:49:11 pm »

ITs actually not the weapon count or the ammo count, its the deployment of what you have efficiently, carrying 6 loaded 30 rd mags, four loaded pistol mags, small first aide kit, misc. crap, good blade, aqua, and one finds moving fast or even scurrying is a rough one, and if warm out, well now.

lots to think on, one man or woman can be a asset, if used right, but a couple is better, especially if a support grouping is available.
    happy sunday
    Rj

GTGallop

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2020, 04:16:08 pm »
    As of today - less of some and more of others.

Jafaria1@asu.edu

• Lurker
    « Reply #30 on: December 14, 2020, 03:44:22 pm »
    Interested in what people have “prepped” in the way of firearms and ammo.

My current inventory is as follows:

Two AR platform long guns
    One AR platform pistol
    One Ruger 9mm pc carbine
    One 500 shotty
    One Ruger 10/22
    Two pistols - both in 9mm

Ammo:

1500 rounds of 9mm
    3000+ rounds of .22
    500 rounds of 556
    400 rounds of 223
    300 rounds of various shotgun loads

Luckily bought most of my ammo at the start of the year before it became a poop fight!
    In a bug out situation I’m confident with what I’ve got. I’m more concerned about having enough to see me through the next few years of recreational shooting if Biden wins and starts banning shiz.

With an unlimited budget I’d add a lot more magazines and throw in some spare parts etc but that’s not possible at the moment.

Who will you be fighting? I feel like that is only good enough for basic looters and street thugs.

delta6

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2020, 04:42:51 pm »
    ITs actually not the weapon count or the ammo count, its the deployment of what you have efficiently, carrying 6 loaded 30 rd mags, four loaded pistol mags, small first aide kit, misc. crap, good blade, aqua, and one finds moving fast or even scurrying is a rough one, and if warm out, well now.

lots to think on, one man or woman can be a asset, if used right, but a couple is better, especially if a support grouping is available.
    happy sunday
    Rj

Also, having a backhoe can b a big plus... just sayin' :whistle
    You work hard, discover that success is not a destination but rather a road you travel upon....

sabo

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2020, 08:21:32 pm »
    sold most of everything to pay for medical bills.
    Down the Rabbit Hole we go.

JT

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2020, 12:56:48 pm »
    If you had to bug out on foot there is no way you will be able to carry a bunch of weapons and ammo. You need to be realistic about what you can carry and remember you will need more than guns and ammo. Water is heavy. Personally I have no plans to bug out as long as my house is habitable.
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

GTGallop

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2020, 05:52:50 am »
    The Greater Phoenix Metroplex is the perhaps the WORST Major City in America to have to Bug out From.

Posted elsewhere about it in this forum too but yes - bugging in / out is a big concern.

I've lived in towns that made bugging out (Hurricanes) easy, relatively speaking.  Eight to Ten MAJOR freeways leaving town, all four lanes wide or wider.  Then they would also open up Contra-Flow - since it was an evacuation they let us drive on the wrong side of the free way (with DPS Guidance) to allow us to double that exodus capacity.  And it still took DAYS to move half of a town that is 4.8 million strong.  A large part of that is due to people not being coordinated, and having inoperable cars or not planning ahead.  Basic societal panic and mass confusion stuff - very few have their 'shit together' both figuratively and literally.  And that is in a town that is used to this drill every three or four years.

Now look at Phoenix...
    Only 6 major arteries leaving town.  Most are only two lanes and we have yet to adopt a Contra-Flow strategy (but I hear it is coming).
    So we have up to 12 lanes leaving town for 4.1 Million People and the other town above had like 80 lanes when you consider Contra-Flow.  If it takes half of 4.8 million (2.4 Million Evacuees) days using 80 lanes, how long will a bug out take if you are trying to move half of 4.1 million (2.0 Million Evacuees) using only 12 lanes?  It's almost an impossible task to get done before a major disaster takes advantage of those stuck on the road.

Beyond that lets talk about where to go?  In the first town above there are other similar sized towns that can take in Evacuees with in a 3 to 4 hour drive.  How many hotels, campgrounds, etc exist with in a 4 hour drive of Phoenix?  Vegas is about your best bet.  Stretch and you might get San Diego.  Flagstaff could take some along with Tucson but you will be hard pressed to find 2 million beds that close.  Even if you brought your own bedroll, gas, water, food, bathrooms (because women evacuate too and I have found them VERY reluctant to pee on the side of the road, let alone take the browns to the Superbowl).

Staying put is almost always preferable here.  Just about the only things that could cause me to think bugging out was a great idea would be a very localized wildfire and a Palos Verde Event.

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #35 on: December 28, 2020, 08:18:31 am »
    boy howdy this subject has been beat to death for years, although there is some entertainment value with newbies,

Phx as noted above is the wrong city to want to escape at any given time, way too many amateurs thinking they are mad max when the time comes, accidents and break downs will clog any and all avenues,

best to have a plan, and make sure you have some friends that can assist in plan, no man is an island, especially with a family to protect.

the thing with plans are, one should have more than one, for escape, evade, storage of goods, load out, who can one trust, where can one go, how can one motivate others to assist.
    lots to think about, as the evil men can do, will be known to all.
    Rj

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #36 on: December 28, 2020, 09:53:36 pm »
    Yup and  GTGallop's points are also well taken.  As noted we have covered this ground before - many times - but it is worth remembering that if a town or city or state will close itself to visitors from other places because of the Wuhan Flu pandemic they can do the same thing for a mass refugee exodus. 

Next time you're driving one of those major traffic arteries out of the Phoenix metro area imagine how easy it would be to close it all down for a bit, create a choke point or bottleneck that brings all traffic to a standstill and let nature take its course.  Its not hard to imagine people being more afraid of being overrun by a million or so refugees than they would be of some natural or manmade disaster. 

People who are fleeing a disaster don't think of themselves as being a disaster but in many cases they are for the places they are fleeing to.  The folks in those places aren't going to sit around waiting for the invasion so they will act and if that involves closing a road I imagine that is exactly what will happen. 

As an example, take U.S. 60 heading east out of Phoenix.  Anyone familiar with that road can think of a dozen places it could be closed for hours or maybe even days by anyone intent on doing so.  The tunnel east of Superior comes to mind but there are many others that would be just as effective.   The point is, becoming part of a massive herd of people is among the least attractive options in many respects.  Refugee camps aren't going to be any more attractive here than they are anywhere else in the world.   :coffee
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

freeman1685

• Contributor
    « Reply #37 on: December 29, 2020, 01:01:47 am »
    Yup and  GTGallop's points are also well taken.  As noted we have covered this ground before - many times - but it is worth remembering that if a town or city or state will close itself to visitors from other places because of the Wuhan Flu pandemic they can do the same thing for a mass refugee exodus. 

Next time you're driving one of those major traffic arteries out of the Phoenix metro area imagine how easy it would be to close it all down for a bit, create a choke point or bottleneck that brings all traffic to a standstill and let nature take its course.  Its not hard to imagine people being more afraid of being overrun by a million or so refugees than they would be of some natural or manmade disaster. 

People who are fleeing a disaster don't think of themselves as being a disaster but in many cases they are for the places they are fleeing to.  The folks in those places aren't going to sit around waiting for the invasion so they will act and if that involves closing a road I imagine that is exactly what will happen. 

As an example, take U.S. 60 heading east out of Phoenix.  Anyone familiar with that road can think of a dozen places it could be closed for hours or maybe even days by anyone intent on doing so.  The tunnel east of Superior comes to mind but there are many others that would be just as effective.   The point is, becoming part of a massive herd of people is among the least attractive options in many respects.  Refugee camps aren't going to be any more attractive here than they are anywhere else in the world.   :coffee

We see it every time a hurricane hits the Gulf/S E US, or a wildland fire hits here in AZ, or Cali. with mandatory evacuations.  Oddly enough though, surrounding communities seem more than willing to take up the slack, during these respective disasters.
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education or by legislation.  Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid.  But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.  RAH

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #38 on: December 29, 2020, 03:26:21 pm »
    Except no place in Arizona - outside of Phoenix and maybe Tucson - has that ability.  Most of the smaller towns get uncomfortably crowded on rodeo week-end or when holiday traffic snarls the local roads.  Give that situation an exponential boost in terms of numbers and severity and things are going to get ugly.  IMO.   :coffee
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Tom568B

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2021, 08:51:51 pm »
    The sidearm, long gun, bow and blade are merely tools. You are the weapon!

freeman1685

• Contributor
    « Reply #40 on: January 01, 2021, 08:58:49 pm »
    The sidearm, long gun, bow and blade are merely tools. You are the weapon!

True.  But like a mechanic, you can't do the job with crap tools.  And you can't do a job that calls for a wrench, with a screwdriver.
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education or by legislation.  Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid.  But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.  RAH

xdm5.25

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2021, 07:27:07 pm »
    there must be a thumbs up thumbs down button ...

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #42 on: January 03, 2021, 08:44:15 pm »
    there must be a thumbs up thumbs down button ...

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

JT

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2021, 05:45:24 pm »
    Imagine having to take the subway or EL to bug out. :woot
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #44 on: January 08, 2021, 06:03:45 pm »
    Imagine having to take the subway or EL to bug out. :woot

the non driving millenians and puke neophytes that have arrived, will have no place to go, especially since mama is probably in another state.
    just saying
    go home
    rj

KingGlamis

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2021, 07:48:55 pm »
    Back to the original topic. The answer is ALL OF IT. I have ALL the guns and ALL the ammo that my current situation allows. But I get a paycheck every week, so my ALL keeps getting bigger. And since my divorce I can make my ALL as big as I please. And now with Bidet and the Dems in power, I'm going to give it my ALL to grow my ALL. Alright? Alright! :-)
    I consider owning and shooting guns to be a fun hobby. That could also save my life or the lives of others.

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #46 on: January 08, 2021, 08:23:54 pm »
    Somewhere it was written he who dies with the most wins something, not sure, but i'm trying to get to the top of the pile, hehe, have some friends who keep shoving me down, but i'm on the move.

enough has never been in my thoughts in regards to my special enjoyment tools
    Rj

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #47 on: January 09, 2021, 10:04:41 am »
    Interested in what people have “prepped” in the way of firearms and ammo.

My current inventory is as follows:

Two AR platform long guns
    One AR platform pistol
    One Ruger 9mm pc carbine
    One 500 shotty
    One Ruger 10/22
    Two pistols - both in 9mm

Ammo:

1500 rounds of 9mm
    3000+ rounds of .22
    500 rounds of 556
    400 rounds of 223
    300 rounds of various shotgun loads

Luckily bought most of my ammo at the start of the year before it became a poop fight!
    In a bug out situation I’m confident with what I’ve got. I’m more concerned about having enough to see me through the next few years of recreational shooting if Biden wins and starts banning shiz.

With an unlimited budget I’d add a lot more magazines and throw in some spare parts etc but that’s not possible at the moment.

In terms of survival, eventually you're going to need to consider the defensive scene.

Long range is, IMHO, if they're not bothering me, I'm not bothering them. Even though LR is my favorite sporting activity, it's not so good for survival, they can hear you from way too far away, and I wouldn't be wanting to attract attention of the armed kind.

The 10/22 can feed you and defend you, and do it with the least racket. The PC Carbine and 9's would be (are) my goto ensemble.

As much as I like AR's they are going to be a legal liability going forward. I could go either way on the shotgun; I have a pair of 20's, but I never use them, and have practically no ammo for them. I have never felt comfortable with an AR Pistol, they are just too clumsy and bulky for me. 9mm and 22 ammo are the least bulky to store/carry.

Anything you can't grab and run with is simply being left behind for the other guy to pick up and chase you with. In the military, in a the combat zone, anyone who let their primary arm out of their sight was borderline suicidal. Practice fire discipline; if one round will do, never fire more. An unaimed round is a wasted round.

The 223/5.56 ammo makes for good barter goods, and you can always find someone to sell 12ga to.

Someday, even the PC Carbine is going to be outlawed, and a good lever gun fills that niche nicely. I have a 44mag Win 94 Trapper Carbine, worth its weight in gold. If I could only have one gun...

But I would like to add a 44mag revolver. Having a good supply of 44 Special ammo would be useful, too. That 44 stuff would be for my Grandson/backup. The ladies have a 9 and a 380.

Greg
    « Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 10:09:55 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

xdm5.25

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2021, 10:14:06 am »
    I have 1 gun and 2 ammo's...

1st ammo to shoot myself before they get to me, 2nd ammo to shoot myself if the first one is a dud.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement