Username: Password:

Author Topic: WTB m60  (Read 885 times)

timelinex

WTB m60
« on: September 24, 2020, 10:00:06 pm »
I have a few suppressors and am decently versed in firearms, but this will be my first Machine Gun.

I am thinking about getting either an M60 or an M16 (or both!). I have found a bunch of dealers with M16's, but I haven't found an M60. Anyone have a lead on an M60?

An explanation for why I am deciding between the two very different rifles.....I like the M60 the best, but I imagine it will be alot less realistic to shoot and have fun with it at 7.62 prices per round versus the M16 that can use much cheaper 5.56 (or even other calibers by switching the upper!).

Any leads or advice would be greatly appreciated!

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    Re: WTB m60
    « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 09:07:46 am »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

CZ

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 09:20:07 am »
    I like the M-60 it is certainly a fun gun.  I passed up buying one a long time ago for $2900...  Back then it was a lot of money...   Good luck with your search.

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 09:40:19 am »
    It was my turn to carry one occasionally on patrols in 'Nam in 1966 and 1967. It was a heavy weapon to lug around, earning it the widespread nickname "The Hog, or The Pig". The current wider hunting slings derives from the specialized slings developed for the M-60.

From the bipod, it could be shot with significant accuracy; but getting out the short bursts that accuracy demanded meant some concentration. Three round bursts were average, two rounds with extra care. The barrel was set up for quick swap when heating became and issue and the gun came standard with a second, preheadspaced barrel, a case for that barrel, and a hot mitt for changing it without getting burns.

The headspace on these weapons is intentionally set long to prevent feed/extraction failures, but they still occurred, usually requiring a barrel change in the field. Because of this, brass fired through a machine gun is usually too long for reliable reloading.

Short bursts were the key to good performance. Longer ones wasted ammo and tended to overheat the barrel too quickly.

Generally, I liked the weapon, but the added weight was really a drag. Rigging a jungle sling helped with that. https://www.popularairsoft.com/files/imagesnew/S-03C_OD_2.jpg

I much preferred my standard issue weapon, an M-14. After a patrol lugging the M-60, the M-14 felt light as a feather.

Greg
    « Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 10:15:30 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 03:18:25 pm »
    Just one statement from me to the OP. "There is nothing that will put a smile on your or anybody's face that compares to a WARM BELTFED !  :thumbup
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 03:30:17 pm »
    send your info off to a fella who might have one for sale, expect contact
    Rj

timelinex

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 04:02:23 pm »
    send your info off to a fella who might have one for sale, expect contact
    Rj

Much appreciated!!

Current lead. https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/75/2584/fully-automatic-class-iiinfa-registered-m60-medium-machine-gun

I could never afford one.
    Greg
    That one is sold, plus judging off price and description it looks like it is a like new condition, which mean much more expensive. Since I do want to use it every once in a while, it would be a waste of money to buy one that hasn't been shot.

timelinex

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 04:04:41 pm »
    Anyways,

I have been giving it alot more thought and I will likely look for an m16 instead. If I find a fair deal on an m60 in good condition (like maybe RJ's friend?) then I will still be interested. But m16's are alot easier to find, and it would be nice to have something that I can shoot much cheaper ammo through! So I will probably divert my research and search to one of those!

timelinex

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 07:05:56 pm »
    Bump,

I am actually looking for both a M60 and M16

Thanks

brucea4

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 09:33:34 am »
    Bump,

I am actually looking for both a M60 and M16

Thanks