Username: Password:

Author Topic: scope sighting problem  (Read 631 times)

ethanjordan

scope sighting problem
« on: September 24, 2020, 10:41:21 pm »
I have a VEPR 7.62x54r. I purchased a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50 EBR-2C MOA, a Midwest Industries Gen 2 AKSMG2-R QD mount and Vortex Pro rings in both Extra high and high. The problem is bore sighting. I'm using a laser tool at about 30 yards. I can't get enough UP elevation to put the cross hairs on the laser dot. I initially mounted the Extra high rings and it was worse. Then mounted the high rings, that helped and the scope bell is about 1/32 above the rear iron sight. I did a lot of internet research and people mentioned shimming the scope. I wondered if it is possible to shim the rail where it mounts to the QD. Do I have the wrong combination of parts? As you can tell I have a lot to learn. Any suggestions would be helpful.Thanks

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    Re: scope sighting problem
    « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 05:51:46 am »
    I did that exact exercise last night in the back yard.

I had it as close as I could get it inside but it occurred to me that outside I had more distance.  The 2 story across the street is unoccupied for renovations so from my back fence to the front fence is a good clip further than the 25ish yards inside.  I co-witnessed on the front fence and then because it was twilight and the red laser wouldn't stand out to neighbors, I tipped it up on the front facade across the street and checked co-witness again.  It was MONEY!

I did notice a HUGE difference in how sensitive one click was the further I got out.

I don't have magnification to deal with, but you do.  I think your 30yard co-witness range is too close especially if you have tall rings.  See what you can find that's further than 30 yards - hard in a neighborhood, I know.  You don't want to get on Karen's Radar.  If you have some rural areas near you (I'm up near Table Mesa) you could drive out at sundown when you still have usable light but the laser still shows up at distance and try then.  Might be possible to put it spot on at about 150 yards since you have the better range to play with.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

Clifffalling

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 06:15:33 am »
    Yeah. You're gonna have to go out further i think. With an already low bore axis and high mount, coupled with a minimum 6x on the scope,  30yds is just too close. If thats all the room you got, measure and line it up so that the laser (poi) is like 3 inches (whatever distance bore to center of scope) lower than poa at that range. That should get you on paper at your zero point, (200?).
    Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

CZ

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 09:10:16 am »
    Yes as others suggested you need to be farther out.  When I bore sight mine at 25 I put the cross hairs about 3 inches low and center the windage.   If you are some what close at that range and windage is right you should have no problem getting it sighted in at 100 or 200 yards...

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 03:10:18 pm »
    Odds are probably impossible for you to get the crosshair and laser dot to meet at 30yd. That's because the bore line passes about 1 1/2" to 2" below the optical axis at the rifle, and only meets up with the laser at the full distance of 100yd.

Getting the two to meet at 30yd is not the goal here. Getting the bullet to pass about about 1/3 of the way up to the height where the optical axis is at 30yd is about where you want it to be in order to hit near the target at 100yd. If it were passing directly through the optical axis at 30yd, it would be hitting way above the target at 100yd.

Adjust the crosshair to be about 1 1/2" above where the laser dot is at 30yd. That should bring it into the close vicinity of the target as it completes its climb out at 100yd. This is all an approximation since scope heights vary somewhat, but it should get you close enough to the aiming point to be able to adjust to perfect when you complete the sighting in process with live ammo.

Set up an aiming target at 30yd with dots about 1 1/2" apart. The laser spot should hit the lower one, and the crosshair should be adjusted so it's directly on the upper dot. This establishes the gentle upward flight angle that will allow the bullet to be nearby to the aim point at 100yd.

Greg
    « Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 03:13:15 pm by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

JT

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 03:50:49 pm »
    Measure the center of bore to the center of scope. Place an aiming dot on your target the measured distance above the laser target. Set your scope to the aiming dot not the laser and your scope will be parallel to the bore. That is if your laser is properly centered in the bore.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement