Username: Password:

Author Topic: Considering Getting a C&R License  (Read 421 times)

Dullahan

Considering Getting a C&R License
« on: October 07, 2020, 02:11:07 pm »
I've been thinking of applying for a C&R license and have done the basic background research on what it entails. Seems pretty straightforward and not overly complicated, which actually makes me a bit leery since we are talking about federal paperwork here. I'm looking for any advice or thoughts from those of you who hold (or have held) a C&R. Is it worth it? Pitfalls? Something you wish you knew before you got licensed?

What about this: "C&R licensees must also keep a bound book of all purchases made with a C&R license. These records must remain on your premises and are subject to BATFE inspection." Does the ATF actually knock on doors looking to see the book?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

RJ

Re: Considering Getting a C&R License
    « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 03:39:12 pm »
    I"ve had one for over 20 years, and at one time it was imo, but in the last half dozen or so, i have not used it much, milsurps and older units that qualify are drying up, although a few have surfaced. Supposedly some get discounts at some vendors, it was not my intent to do so, more towards being able to purchase a unit and ship to or shipped to me, with out the OTHER dealer issues. For that it was awesome, and if you join a club recognized by the CMP, you can get a garand and or misc. units shipped directly to you. I recommend the garand collector assoc. club, awesome rag they put out.
    Overall i'd say over the years, it pretty much paid for its self, record keeping is a pain, but lotsa easy platforms available free to keep track.

I puchased over 300 plus with mine, so take it for what its worth.
    best with the plan
    Rj

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 04:55:25 pm »
    Similar to RJ I've had my C & R for nearly a decade now.

And to be honest I've NEVER had an opportunity to use it. It's getting more and more difficult to find unique C & R weapons any more.  The last one I found of interest was a slightly bubba'd 03A3 rifle and that was at Arizona Firearms & Pawn. I've been looking for an oddball M1 Garand for years now. The only ones I find are grotesquely over-priced anymore. And, to make matters worse, the few that are still available through CMP are now requiring notarized paperwork. In order to get a document notarized at my Credit Union I've literally got to make an appointment a week in advance.  Either that or pay $15 at the UPS store. To this point I simply have not been motivated to make that call.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

289ace

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 05:22:44 pm »
    I've had my current one for about a year and picked up many rifles with it. The big plus is being able to buy out of state and having it shipped directly to you, or picking something up in an out of state shop. For me the bound book is easy to fill out and I am not aware of anyone having been audited by the ATF, but it can happen. I have also heard of people letting their 03 lapse and then tossing away the book as there is no requirement to send it in. They wait a year or so and then apply for another one and use a new book. I have not personally done that or looked into the legality of it but people claim it is legal. YMMV

6.5 Gunner

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 06:03:05 pm »
    Totally worth it, it's 10 bucks a year. You probably spent more on that for lunch at burgerking. Don't forget that C&R doesn't just mean milsurp, it also equates to any firearm over 50 years old. Some of the first colt ARs are becoming C&R eligible not to mention a slew of S&W revovlers, ruger MK 1/standard 22 pistols, etc.

FWIW you can also use your license in lieu of a CCW (if you don't have one) to skip the background check. Just log it in as normal.

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 04:42:26 am »
    Totally worth it, it's 10 bucks a year. You probably spent more on that for lunch at burgerking. Don't forget that C&R doesn't just mean milsurp, it also equates to any firearm over 50 years old. Some of the first colt ARs are becoming C&R eligible not to mention a slew of S&W revovlers, ruger MK 1/standard 22 pistols, etc.

FWIW you can also use your license in lieu of a CCW (if you don't have one) to skip the background check. Just log it in as normal.

Ah but are they listed as a C&R unit ?   Over the years ATF has been derelict in any continuing effort to quickly update this list.   The government is really inefficient.   My question has always been if you take possession of a 50+ yr old weapon and it hasn't been approved by the ATF as a C&R weapon, are you in violation of the licenses requirements.   
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

Dullahan

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 03:00:47 pm »
    @anm2_man - Per the ATF website, yes, any firearm 50+ years old is a C&R even if not expressly published on their list. From the ATF:

"Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF's C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age."

Thank you all for your comments on getting a license. I hope to hear some more thoughts. I'm likely to get one, but I have another question I can't seem to find the answer to.

If I move to another state, does the C&R become invalid and I'd need to re-apply? One of the license's application requirements is a CLEO approval, which is why I'm asking.

RJ

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 04:17:28 pm »
    lol, the atf may claim its ok for c&r, but some vendors won't honor it,

as for changing states, its like anything else, address change with cleo approval. usually just a formality i've heard but again, your trip may very pending friendly state or comi lands
    Rj

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 06:07:42 pm »
    @anm2_man - Per the ATF website, yes, any firearm 50+ years old is a C&R even if not expressly published on their list. From the ATF:

"Firearms automatically attain C&R status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF's C&R list. Therefore, ATF does not generally list firearms in the C&R publication by virtue of their age."

Thank you all for your comments on getting a license. I hope to hear some more thoughts. I'm likely to get one, but I have another question I can't seem to find the answer to.

If I move to another state, does the C&R become invalid and I'd need to re-apply? One of the license's application requirements is a CLEO approval, which is why I'm asking.

Unfortunately some gun dealers chose to not recognize/deal with people holding C&R's, and don't/won't sell C&R eligible firearms as C&R's to people with a C&R 03 FFL. Those gun dealers will, on the other hand, sell them like any other resale firearm with a NICS background check.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 05:47:50 am »

Thanks - appreciate the quote. 
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

289ace

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 07:37:53 am »

My understanding is the CLEO contact is not an approval, but is instead just letting the CLEO know you are getting a FFL03. I suppose if you have a record of any type you might get a visit or the CLEO might contact the ATF, but that is not the primary intent.

As for transferring it if you go to another state, that should be easy to do however it may not be useful to you any longer. As an example, Commiefornia does not allow direct shipping of C&R to your home even if the gun is C&R and you have a FFL03. Additionally, you need to get a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to use your FFL03 in any way, but even with the COE you have very few ways to use it.  The FFL03 has been neutered in Commiefornia to the point where the people that have it use it primarily for Ammo purchases to bypass the ammo background check. 
    « Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 07:40:06 am by 289ace »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement