Username: Password:

Author Topic: Voting increase odds of jury duty?  (Read 473 times)

Riflerack31

Voting increase odds of jury duty?
« on: October 15, 2020, 07:21:22 pm »
My brother wont register to vote because of this.  :facepalm

Im trying to convince him but im running out of time to make tonight deadline. He lives in Maricopa county. Is it true? Ive been registered for 3 years here and havent been summoned yet.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

thom

Re: Voting increase odds of jury duty?
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 07:27:13 pm »
    I have been registered to vote over 40 years here.  I was called once so far, back in the 1990s.  I got dismissed after I said that I believed in capital punishment  and that a rope should be used.
    Finally Retired
    AZCDL Life Member
    GOA
    NRA Life Member
    A politician is a fellow who wants you to lay down your life for his country.

6.5 Gunner

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 08:31:04 pm »
    I registered ASAP after I turned 18. I'm 29 now, I've been called twice and let go twice. Once at 19 and once at 27. Tell your brother Americans fought and died for the right to vote, the least he can do is nut up and sit through a jury summons. Chances are he most likely won't be picked anyways. Sorry if that offends you but people like that get me going...

Wyatt Earp

• Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 08:34:50 pm »
    I've been called one time and it was before I registered to vote in Arizona.  I have family members who have been called several times.  No rhyme or reason to it.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.

Wyatt Earp

qkarl

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 08:56:32 pm »
    I've been registered for about a decade and have been called three times. Never gotten picked to sit in a case though

Riflerack31

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 09:35:37 pm »
    Oh well i tried, hes not gonna do it.   :'(

rjinaz86323

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 09:49:30 pm »
    I have been called for jury duty twice and selected once.  Both times were before I was registered to vote.  I have not been called a single time since I registered.

Get out and vote.  We need all the help we can get.

Earl Cordova

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 06:17:19 am »
    It is amazing how many people bitch about where the country is headed and they have never voted in their life.

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 07:23:52 am »
    It is amazing how many people bitch about where the country is headed and they have never voted in their life.

Sad commentary but true.  Especially RifleRack31 brothers excuse.  They not only select names from voter roles, but property owners and state tax payers.   Don't know about his brother, but avoiding the last list is almost impossible. 

I've been called for Jury duty 8 times since 1975.  I've been excused all eight times by either a Judge (who thought I was unfit or didn't fit because I asked to many questions), Either attorney (Prosecuting or Defending for basically the same reason). or never got called into a case and was excused.  One time we were asked to look like every juror was really angry as we walked past the perp siting in a hallway on the to the court room.   We sat in the court room for about 10min and it was announced that the perp decided to take a plea deal after looking at all of us.  LOL    :facepalm

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

RJ

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 08:46:54 am »
    served on one grand jury, one murder trial, and got out of several others, system sucks, on murder trial, spent weeks, dealing with legal idgits manipulating the system, and when it was a day from being given to us, arsehole took a plea, and i lost weeks of my life.
    i dislike lawyers immensely, they are excellent liars.

RetroG

• Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 12:50:16 pm »
    I don't know about Arizona, but a lot of states have gone to Driver's Licenses to get enough jurors.  I've been a registered voter for 42 years and called for jury duty twice, only served on a jury once.

Unfortunately the OP's brother is mope.  The good news is he isn't voting.

delta6

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 01:34:05 pm »
    The two most recognized lists for picking jurors: voter registration and DMV.

So, Riflerack31, tell your brother to get rid of his drivers license and motor vehicle, then we can buy his excuse.

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 07:19:02 pm »
    I have been called MANY times for jury duty. The last time I asked the judge if I may speak candidly & did. I don't think I will ever be called again in Maricopa County. Our "Just-Us" system is a: biased, broken, revolving door, for profit, that sends people to "crime college" when we do jail them, to produce: harder, slicker criminals when they "graduate".  :facepalm
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

qkarl

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 07:59:19 pm »
    It appears that voter registration has been extended to October 23rd.
     https://www.kgun9.com/news/election-2020/arizona-voter-registration-deadline-extended-until-october-23

Riflerack31

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 09:40:49 pm »
    I don't know about Arizona, but a lot of states have gone to Driver's Licenses to get enough jurors.  I've been a registered voter for 42 years and called for jury duty twice, only served on a jury once.

Unfortunately the OP's brother is mope.  The good news is he isn't voting.

He would vote R down the ballot. The registration deadline got extended again. Ill annoy him more and see, i dont think he will but ill still try.

Riflerack31

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 09:44:19 pm »
    Is there enough time for him to get a ballot in the mail?
    « Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 09:53:49 pm by Riflerack31 »

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #16 on: October 17, 2020, 08:02:56 am »
    Use to be that was the case.  They would pull jury from registered voters.  It filtered out the felons pretty quick.

But people quit voting to avoid jury duty.  So they stopped.  Wife and I got jury summons for Texas right up until recently and I haven't lived there for 10 years.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

Woodenword

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2020, 02:44:17 pm »
    The first year we were traveling, the wife and I both got notifications for jury duty twice. We explained that we wouldn’t be back in AZ till November, and they excused us. I think it was from changing our address and DL to Quartzsite, as we use a mail service there.  Haven’t gotten called since.

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #18 on: October 17, 2020, 02:46:16 pm »
    It appears that voter registration has been extended to October 23rd.
     https://www.kgun9.com/news/election-2020/arizona-voter-registration-deadline-extended-until-october-23

NOPE - it was shut off on the 16th I believe via a Judge.   It was stupid to try and extend it. 
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement