Username: Password:

Author Topic: guns in the homes of americans  (Read 1247 times)

stonegraham

guns in the homes of americans
« on: October 31, 2020, 03:03:04 am »
Don't know if this is old or new news but I just read a study by Rand Corporation on gun ownership in America ranked by state and percent of guns owned per household. New Jersey and Massachusetts were tied for last at 14.7% of homes with guns. Montana was first with 66.7% of homes with guns. Interestingly, Texas is about the middle with 45.7%. I guess thanks to Rand Corporation the Feds now know where all the guns are!!

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

patkelly4370

Re: guns in the homes of americans
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 04:17:11 am »
    "Thanks to Rand Corporation the Feds now know where SOME of the guns are".
    If I lived in a gun-restrictive State I wouldn't tell a Corporation that i had guns.
    If I lived in a gun-friendly State I'd think it stupid the question was even being asked and wouldn't answer.
    About as accurate as the current Presidential polls

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GTGallop

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 07:16:08 am »
    Yeah but there are extrapolating factors you can use to validate those numbers.

Number of Gun Ranges
    Number of customers at Gun Ranges
    Ammo Sales
    Registrations for FOIDS cards
    4473's processed per state
    Local Gun Stores Per Capita

It's not an exact science but because of time and trends you can probably dial that into within 4% either way much easier than a Presidential Election Poll.

patkelly4370

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 01:24:37 pm »
    Yeah but there are extrapolating factors you can use to validate those numbers.

Number of Gun Ranges
    Number of customers at Gun Ranges
    Ammo Sales
    Registrations for FOIDS cards
    4473's processed per state
    Local Gun Stores Per Capita

It's not an exact science but because of time and trends you can probably dial that into within 4% either way much easier than a Presidential Election Poll.

Extrapolate from where I live.
    1 gun store. No ranges. No record of private sales so that number is unknown. CCW permits not needed so that number is unknown.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CZ

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 04:10:07 pm »
    If based mostly on 4473's and atf records who really knows...   Since most states until the last 20 years or so allowed private party sales and a lot of people have moved to and from other states there is no way they can actually know that... 

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 05:14:53 pm »
    ca'mon they are stats that can be massaged by either group to fit goal, hard to say who, what and how many, bullshiat numbers are just that. imo

ynotaz

• Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 05:26:09 pm »
    ATF is not supposed to have 4473, until FFL closes up shop.  If they do they are violating federal law.  Now we know they keep something because the give out stats on "fist time gun buyers",

How would they know that?
    “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.

It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

Mr. Nobody

• #FJB
    • Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 05:40:12 pm »
    Eh as others have stated, wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Just know people own lots of guns across the US. Even liberal states have closet gun owners. Even more now since the riots and blm and antifa.

ATF is not supposed to have 4473, until FFL closes up shop.  If they do they are violating federal law.  Now we know they keep something because the give out stats on "fist time gun buyers",

How would they know that?

I would presume the computers log the checks but not the data itself (hopefully.)
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
    ― Mark Twain

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."
    - George Carlin

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

usmc5811

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 06:56:19 pm »
    Eh as others have stated, wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Just know people own lots of guns across the US. Even liberal states have closet gun owners. Even more now since the riots and blm and antifa.

I would presume the computers log the checks but not the data itself (hopefully.)

ATF has been known to come in and make copies. Presume they know if you bought a weapon that required paperwork.

grayland

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 07:48:49 am »
    I had a real eye opener a couple of years ago.

I was talking and reporting with an officer in regard to a gun that I lost (another story) and had been found.  The meeting was on the street with the officer in the patrol car using laptop.  She was checking the computer using my drivers license and CCL (Washington State).  She asked me which pistol it was and named two others I own.  The only place that information could have come from is from purchase and background check.  They had the complete description of  two Glocks that were not involved with the case under discussion. I asked how she knew that info and she said it is in the computer.    The one I had lost was listed under my wife's name..but they had that linked to me also.  She had bought it herself and as far as I knew..I was not involved with the paperwork. 

Up until then, I was under the innocent delusion that our guns were not "registered".  The only paperwork that was ever previously involved was the purchase at a regular gun shop.
    NRA Member; AZCDL Member; CCW; 2A Supporter
    https://azcdl.org/

rpc

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 02:07:02 pm »
    Where were the guns purchased? What state?

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 12:05:05 pm »
    There are lies, damned lies, and statistics... - Mark Twain https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_128372
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement