Username: Password:

Author Topic: .22 plinking pistol ideas?  (Read 2250 times)

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
Re: .22 plinking pistol ideas?
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2021, 09:11:03 am »
I picked up a P-17 a few months ago. Not done a review on it yet. First time out I had a lot of failures to extract/failures to feed. Took it home, cleaned it and put it in the safe. Second time out it ran great but wouldn't lock the slide back after the last round. Last time out same deal, ran find but no slide lock back. I'm using quality ammo(CCI Mini-Mags) and I keep my gun clean and lubed. I think it needs more break in.
The Taurus TX22, on the other hand, seems to run well right out of the box.
Have you tried running standard velocity ammo through it?  I had a .22 pistol that got finicky with CCI Mini Mags - especially when it got dirty but switching to Federal bulk pak ammo seemed to cure it.  Anybody's standard velocity worked in that pistol.  Federal, Winchester, Remington, Aguila - but switch to high velocity, light bullet stuff and it was like feeding a baby guacamole for the first time.   :wtf
" A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                              Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #26 on: October 05, 2021, 11:04:31 am »
    Seems like standard velocity would even give less recoil so less chance of locking the slide back. I just think it needs to be shot more to weaken the recoil spring so it'll push the slide back further so it'll lock.  :thumbup
    Luke 22:36 (NIV)
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #27 on: October 05, 2021, 01:53:28 pm »
    Unless the extra recoil causes the slide to rebound off the stop and screws up the timing of the slide stop spring. It is a very small piece of metal that engages the slide stop notch and if the spring is getting overridden it may already be wearing. Parts engagement is frequently a little finicky on semi-autos.  That seemed to be what was happening to my pistol so the standard pressure ammo was working better than the high velocity stuff.  Ymmv. 

A box of standard velocity ammunition seems a relatively cheap way to answer the question.   :coffee
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JT

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2021, 05:58:54 pm »
    The heavier 45 grain Winchester subsonic run in most semi auto pistols. Work in my P17, G44, LCP2 and 22-45 lite.
    The G44 has 10 round mags but 18 round mags are available from Promag and they work for a change. PITA to load.

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #29 on: October 06, 2021, 11:05:58 am »
    I have less than 300 rounds through the P-17(probably even closer to 200) so I don't think wear comes into play. When I rack it back by hand it locks back just fine. Just think the recoil spring is still a bit stiff and needs to be "shot in" to lighten it up a bit so the slide recoil will move far enough back to lock it open when the gun runs dry.
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #30 on: October 06, 2021, 12:30:35 pm »
    Just trying to help.  Good luck with it. 
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

ExCal

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2021, 05:39:29 pm »
    Buy any Ruger auto. They started building them in 1949. I doubt anyone has ever worn one out. Plenty of different barrel length and sights to choose from.

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #32 on: October 07, 2021, 11:31:17 am »
    Just trying to help.  Good luck with it.
    I appreciate the help.  :thumbup

- Ted Nugent

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #33 on: October 09, 2021, 08:52:58 am »
    My Father in law bought one then he bought two more.  Includig the one we got, that's 4 that I have first hand knowledge of.  He had to send one back to KelTec and they made it right.  Now he has three well functioning P-17's and ours has rarely ever malf'd or had issues on any ammo other than the cheap ass Remington thunderbolts.  They fail to fire, fail to eject, get dirty and cause feed failures, they stovepipe, they double load.  With good hot CCI rounds it works great.  With Browning it works great.  With Wincehster bulk it works great.  Aguilla match it works great.  Remington?  Not so much.  But then every 22 I have owned has puked on that sub standard by russian standards ammo.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #34 on: October 09, 2021, 09:18:51 am »
    Agreed.  I've shot thousands of rounds of the stuff and after all is said and done I think its built to the lowest price point that still falls within SAAMI specs.  Some guns run it fine but those are the ones that run everything fine.  If a gun is going to get finicky with ammo it will most likely do so with those.  IMO.  That said, their pistol match ammo from back in the 1980's through the 1990's was clean, consistent and very accurate for me.  All at about double the price of the cheap stuff.  Lesson learned.  :yes
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JT

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2021, 01:11:21 pm »
    Out of the box? KelTec CP33. 33 round mag. Weird looking pistol but what you can do with it is interesting.

I can do the same with my Charger. Heavier, longer but half the money.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement