Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone bought from CARVANA ?  (Read 2522 times)

xdm5.25

Anyone bought from CARVANA ?
« on: December 01, 2020, 09:25:53 am »
Justw ant to ask if anyone has bought a vehicle from carvana and what was your experience with issues and if you returned the vehicle, etc.. thanks

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

grayland

Re: Anyone bought from CARVANA ?
    « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 08:36:12 am »
    I just can't imagine buying a car without seeing it in person...new or used.

NRA Member; AZDL Member; CCW; 2A Supporter

• Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 09:08:50 am »
    If you don't want it they will take it back.  That way you will be seeing it.  No problems.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 07:28:47 am »

It's actually very common these days.  Especially in the younger crowd - people that don't get their license at 16 because they have to take a test and just wait til they are 18.  They don't care about cars.  It's an A to B box for them.  Buying it from a vending machine is a good idea to them.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

Ruh-roh

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 09:00:33 am »
    I’m not in the younger crowd but I certainly see some advantages. We have been looking for a used 1/2 ton truck and it’s easy to sort thru the online options and find the make, model and Options you are looking for. Try calling a dealer across town to find out about a truck they have listed. Idiots is all you get. They can’t can’t or won’t tell you anything unless you are on the lot. Sorry, my time is more valuable than that. Having a fixed price that isn’t out of line is nice too. Dealer advertised prices start in the same category but then they have dealer add ons. One actually wanted to tack on paperwork “processing” as a fee. And again the time I spend negotiating with the sales office and then turning down offers with additional fees with the loan guy is a part of my life I’ll never get back. Last year I almost walked out on a deal at this stage even though I had the car and price I wanted. No matter how many times I said “I’m paying that price in cash” he wouldn’t stop the charade. Yeah I’m about ready done with dealers. Last night I Found a nice red Texas edition F150... anyone know about Varoom, lol?

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 12:05:15 pm »
    I haven't bought a car from Carvana but I've sold them a car.

When my mother died, I got her relatively new Honda.  Since I've already got more than enough cars, I wanted to get it sold quickly.  For my own mental health I decided against taking the time to sell the car as a private party. I got offers from a bunch of different dealerships and then got an offer from Carvana.  Carvana's offer was nearly $2,000 more then the brick-and-mortar car dealers.  I completed the paperwork, provided them proof that the car was mine, and scheduled a time for them to come over and pick it up.  The young lady showed up on time, had a check in hand, and the transaction was completed quickly.

I noticed recently that my former employers, Arizona Federal Credit Union, are now listing Carvana as one of their preferred car buying partners.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

• Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 02:50:35 pm »
    One thing to remember is buying from a dealer (Carvana is a dealer) you pay sales tax.

Earl Cordova

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 06:27:30 pm »
    Since I am a grumpy old fart I think that glass building on the 202 and Scottsdale road is ridiculous and would never do business with them.

zpglass

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 09:36:13 pm »
    I work on cars at a mazda dealership. I would never buy a car from carvana. They bring us cars for the most simple repairs. Buy elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruh-roh

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 10:43:12 pm »
    I work on cars at a mazda dealership. I would never buy a car from carvana. They bring us cars for the most simple repairs. Buy elsewhere

Why is getting the cars they sell repaired a negative? Should they be taking them somewhere better qualified then your dealership? Or just sell them with a defect?

JK357

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 09:48:37 am »
    I recently sold one and bought one from them, do your homework and know what you want. It was a very smooth transaction and never left the house

zpglass

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 10:59:49 am »
    Why is getting the cars they sell repaired a negative? Should they be taking them somewhere better qualified then your dealership? Or just sell them with a defect?
    Check engine light on due to no oil, or missing air filter box. Radio has no sound due to module for amplifier unplugged. Key warning light on due to being started by start button cause key fob was removed before the car was test drove.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 01:13:34 pm »
    Sketchy stuff for sure.  Do they provide a CARFAX report or do you have to spring for your own?
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JK357

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 01:22:15 pm »
    They provide history

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #14 on: December 27, 2020, 01:40:54 pm »
    Since I am a grumpy old fart I think that glass building on the 202 and Scottsdale road is ridiculous and would never do business with them.

Ahhh.... their giant token operated vending machine.  As a fellow grumpy old fart I'll admit that it's a rather silly (and spendy) marketing tactic but the millennials seem to enjoy that sort of thing.

Check engine light on due to no oil, or missing air filter box. Radio has no sound due to module for amplifier unplugged. Key warning light on due to being started by start button cause key fob was removed before the car was test drove.

While I'd have to agree that the last item does seem to be a rather odd reason to bring a car in for service, the other items on the list seem more reasonable if Carvana does not have their own local service center staffed with qualified mechanics (techs), lifts, diagnostic tools, service manuals, and access to all of the necessary maintenance and repair parts.

I did a quick google search and found that Carvana has access to a network of repair centers for warranty work through an outfit called SilverRock. 

https://silverrockhelp.com/map/customer

A large percentage of those local repair centers are Pep Boys locations.  Personally I think taking a car to a dealership is a helluva lot BETTER idea than taking it to a damn Pep Boys for repair.

From what I can see they have three locations in the Phoenix area, their corporate HQ on Rio Salado in Tempe, the big vending machine, and a distribution facility in Tolleson. There are several large buildings on that property but I can't determine if one or more of those buildings are set up for repair.
    « Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 01:44:20 pm by Marx-ism's »

zpglass

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2020, 02:19:17 pm »
    Ahhh.... their giant token operated vending machine.  As a fellow grumpy old fart I'll admit that it's a rather silly (and spendy) marketing tactic but the millennials seem to enjoy that sort of thing.

While I'd have to agree that the last item does seem to be a rather odd reason to bring a car in for service, the other items on the list seem more reasonable if Carvana does not have their own local service center staffed with qualified mechanics (techs), lifts, diagnostic tools, service manuals, and access to all of the necessary maintenance and repair parts.

I did a quick google search and found that Carvana has access to a network of repair centers for warranty work through an outfit called SilverRock. 

https://silverrockhelp.com/map/customer

A large percentage of those local repair centers are Pep Boys locations.  Personally I think taking a car to a dealership is a helluva lot BETTER idea than taking it to a damn Pep Boys for repair.

From what I can see they have three locations in the Phoenix area, their corporate HQ on Rio Salado in Tempe, the big vending machine, and a distribution facility in Tolleson. There are several large buildings on that property but I can't determine if one or more of those buildings are set up for repair.
    They are set up for reconditioned repairs of cars. They have a shop with technicians. Hourly technician’s. Low payed.

Last week they sent a car in for a 4x4 code. The rear differential sensor was un plugged. We get a lot of repairs for basic stuff.

One car had radar brake issues. The module/camera was not even secured in the front grille.

Had to secure it and clear codes and recalibrate it. Then clear the codes that would not go away until calibration.

If they can’t do simple things like fill engine with oil or plug connectors back in place.   The one with the missing airbox code was even on their own inspection sheet.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #16 on: December 27, 2020, 05:40:40 pm »
     :facepalm   Call me old school but that whole thing smells like a millennial update of the old used car lot down at the corner of walk and don't walk - complete with the signage saying "BUY HERE - PAY HERE!" and lots of brightly colored plastic flags flying in the breeze.   Any outfit that spends more on advertising than it does making sure they sell decent quality cars is a large order of hemorrhoids to go.  No thanks.   :smh
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

zpglass

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2020, 06:48:10 pm »
    :facepalm   Call me old school but that whole thing smells like a millennial update of the old used car lot down at the corner of walk and don't walk - complete with the signage saying "BUY HERE - PAY HERE!" and lots of brightly colored plastic flags flying in the breeze.   Any outfit that spends more on advertising than it does making sure they sell decent quality cars is a large order of hemorrhoids to go.  No thanks.   :smh
    All about them ‘cheap cars’ .

JK357

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2020, 06:57:36 pm »
    Maybe I got lucky, but my transaction was smooth. I'm old school and the vehicle I got is still under factory warranty, and has the options I want without the ones I don't. Nobody else in town had what I wanted for weeks. 

zpglass

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2020, 07:37:38 pm »
    Maybe I got lucky, but my transaction was smooth. I'm old school and the vehicle I got is still under factory warranty, and has the options I want without the ones I don't. Nobody else in town had what I wanted for weeks.
    That’s good

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #20 on: December 27, 2020, 08:41:27 pm »
    They are set up for reconditioned repairs of cars. They have a shop with technicians. Hourly technician’s. Low payed.

Last week they sent a car in for a 4x4 code. The rear differential sensor was un plugged. We get a lot of repairs for basic stuff.

One car had radar brake issues. The module/camera was not even secured in the front grille.

Had to secure it and clear codes and recalibrate it. Then clear the codes that would not go away until calibration.

If they can’t do simple things like fill engine with oil or plug connectors back in place.   The one with the missing airbox code was even on their own inspection sheet.

It's also possible that they currently lack one or more of the needed permits in order to do things like fluid changes.

https://azdeq.gov/permits-needed-auto-repair-shop

For all we know, they may have even made the business decision to have someone else do the oil change. Or the person who made the decision to send that particular vehicle off to a dealer had his/her head firmly planted between his/her a$$ cheeks and did not realize that the repair could be completed in-house.  Or they were short-staffed at the time. Or... Or... Or...  Until someone employed by Carvana with knowledge of the specific vehicle(s) chimes in on this discussion, trying to guess why is little more than an exercise in futility.  :hmm

cool arrow

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2020, 04:01:18 pm »

I think it is big of them to take the cars to a dealership for repairs, large or small.

They could have some shady, uncertified mechanic patching the cars together, but instead use real mechanics. I see it as a positive, not a negative.

• Contributor
    « Reply #22 on: December 28, 2020, 04:26:51 pm »
    There is nothing wrong with Carvana.

PogoJack

• Contributor
    • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
    « Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 03:24:32 am »
    I mentioned Carvana to my 11 year old, who told me they were a "millennial" thing.

We've not had TV/Dish since before she was born and she doesn't use internet very much,  but I'm suspecting she either posts or lurks here now.

Hoping she don't discover the marketplace.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 11:02:19 am »
     :whistle
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement