Username: Password:

Author Topic: My wife wants me to get a long range gun.  (Read 3313 times)

GTGallop

• N5MKH
  • Administrator
    • QRZ - N5MKH
Re: My wife wants me to get a long range gun.
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2021, 11:55:18 am »
Good point.
The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

needsmostuff

« Reply #51 on: Today at 05:54:12 am »
    This thread is fun ! Every time I read the abbreviated  clickbait title  in the main page my simple mind makes up words to finish it .
    Ummmmm. Sometimes your wife is mean .
    Dang , the simple pleasures of a bored mind.

O Yeah , Sorry  , no rifle advice.
    « Last Edit: Today at 05:57:52 am by needsmostuff »

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #52 on: Today at 06:30:05 am »
    Good news is I'm getting closer.
    Will probably list the 458 Socom upper and two 22 rifles for sale soon.  I just don't want to do it, have people get interested and then all of the sudden I'm too busy to meet up or drive somewhere to swap.  That'd be a dick move.  Trying to avoid it.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #53 on: Today at 08:43:38 am »
    I've been that 30-06 proponent for about a lifetime. But in 2001, I acquired my 260 (all I need is one), realized that the trajectories were danged similar, and that retained energies were better than I expected out of the .260. Subsequently, I used it for a few years in 1000yd competitions, it stood up to the traffic, and it was a lot easier to shoot for extended periods, especially with regard to recoil. You will hear that you need to handload, but that's not so true anymore, although buying is not cheap, either. I find that internet sources are better than off the shelf for that.

Cleckner's book is excellent, but I also like Frank Galli's book, once you get past the rather extensive biographical stuff. I actually know and have shot with the guy; and he's the genuine article as well. The biographical stuff is NOT ordinary, and I imagine you'll appreciate it a lot more than your Wife might. His approach to the marksmanship fundamentals departs from the traditional, and makes a lot more sense to me; he is at the cutting edge of LR Precision Marksmanship. He teaches classes for a large part of each year; his website snipershide.com is in its 21st year and has an enormous following. But it also might be NSFW, especially the Bear Pit Forum, we wear our big boy pants when we enter there. I've been a contributor at The Hide since the beginning in 2001.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Rifle-Marksmanship-Fundamentals-Shooting/dp/1951115104/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Frank+Galli&qid=1634656297&qsid=145-8544055-3194043&sr=8-1&sres=1951115104%2C0819576352%2C1584760648%2CB01BE3LEQK%2CB08RWDVCSK%2C0470827300%2C1500893811%2C0692016821%2C1546873201%2CB01GMSYSOW%2CB004NSW9BI%2C1584760656%2CB07TS1J2FP%2CB0038G0KZ8%2C0897245741%2CB085N4VWXW]Frank's Book

Optics can be deceptive. I have never needed more than 18x for LR, but higher magnifications can be more helpful at nearer distance, where mirage won't distort the image as much. Although I have optics going up to 32x, their best application, believe it or not, is on precision rimfire rifles. Having a sharp sight image is never a bad thing.

Rifle weight is a compromise. Heavier rifles can reduce felt recoil, but so can a more sane chambering. Lighter rifles are better suited to walkaround applications, and for hunting, one or two shots from a a heavier recoiling chambering is a lot less noticeable, if at all. But good marksmanship can only be the result of a lot of practice, and I'd add, practice of the right skills, done right. Heavy recoil is the enemy of such practice, and the facts strongly suggest a pair of rifles, including a trainer chambered in 223. Some try to make the two rifles identical; but in reality, the optical image can benefit from similarity, the rest is very optional. Heavy rifles are best suited to stationary applications, and LR is usually that. Shooting the same chambering for training and LR is not ideal, the LR ammo usually costs too much to make that a good idea, and I've never found a better training chambering than 223; it's good out to 600yd with the right barrel and bullet, and our training league matches typically went out at 300yd.

Reloading makes good sense for LR and even better sense for training ammo. You'll need a lot of both to become accomplished at the task, and you can make better ammo cheaper, once you're set up and have done good load development. Good ammo is not especially hot ammo; lighter loads stretch barrel life, and if you handload, this becomes a much easier option. Good ammo is a big help; shooting inferior ammo doesn't teach you much when you can't figure out whether that miss is the ammo talking or your skills. Handloading makes that good ammo a lot more available.

Or, simply buy a 6.5 Creedmore and buy your ammo.

Greg

Finally, if you intend to shoot living quarry, you're hunting, not target shooting. Both have their own equipment, and it's not the same.
    « Last Edit: Today at 09:44:04 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #54 on: Today at 10:21:05 am »
      ^ Wisdom, distilled. ^   :coffee
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement