Username: Password:

Author Topic: Bull bars, are they illegal in Arizona?  (Read 1752 times)

PogoJack

• Contributor
  • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
Bull bars, are they illegal in Arizona?
« on: December 25, 2020, 12:17:08 pm »
I don't know too much about this, but we are preparing to get a new SUV next year, maybe a Chevy, maybe a Subaru or Toyota, not sure at the moment.

We will be using it to do more road trips to TX, and of course we pass through hill country where deer abound on I-10.

Would like to put a bull bar on the SUV but didn't know if this was legal in AZ or if there were any restrictions or limits on them.

For a mall crawler it's a bit over the top, but I would like to have one if it's legal and possible.

Are they legal without restriction in AZ and what are your opinions/recommendations on brands or styles?

Thanks in advance, gents and Merry Christmas!

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

KingGlamis

Re: Bull bars, are they illegal in Arizona?
    « Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 03:05:42 pm »
    They are legal in AZ but I would do your research because how it mounts may or may not affect the air bags. I'm sure most reputable companies that build them take this into account, just something to ponder. Also, most of the ones I have seen are more for looks and mounting lights. If you want to actually protect the front of the vehicle from a deer strike that will take real bull bars, again, research is needed.
    “You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.” Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

• Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 05:39:10 pm »
    Be sure and buy a GM product.

lesptr

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 06:22:02 pm »

kptaylor

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 07:47:05 pm »
    In the places they're illegal it's because zealous lawyers can say you reduced the safety factor in your car/truck. If you hit someone your car will not deform and absorb energy as it was designed. They'll say the damage you caused to whoever you hit was because of this negligence...  Be careful and make sure you find out the state's rules as well as TX and NM or whatever states you'll drive through. It's unfortunate, but that's where we are in today's litigious world.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 08:10:57 pm »
    Be sure and buy a GM product.
    GM products are infested with recalls, front to back.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life... -Winston Churchill

Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #6 on: December 25, 2020, 08:12:38 pm »
    I don't know too much about this, but we are preparing to get a new SUV next year, maybe a Chevy, maybe a Subaru or Toyota, not sure at the moment.

We will be using it to do more road trips to TX, and of course we pass through hill country where deer abound on I-10.

Would like to put a bull bar on the SUV but didn't know if this was legal in AZ or if there were any restrictions or limits on them.

For a mall crawler it's a bit over the top, but I would like to have one if it's legal and possible.

Are they legal without restriction in AZ and what are your opinions/recommendations on brands or styles?

Thanks in advance, gents and Merry Christmas!

Bull bars do affect sensors in bumpers.
    As long as you get one that is not too wide, you should be good.

I would suggest if you are looking for SUVs, Toyota 4runners or Sequoia for comfort, quality, and resale values
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life... -Winston Churchill

Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

ynotaz

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 10:34:06 pm »
    Bull bars do affect sensors in bumpers.
    As long as you get one that is not too wide, you should be good.

I would suggest if you are looking for SUVs, Toyota 4runners or Sequoia for comfort, quality, and resale values

Or go one better, a GX:

I gotta think about a new sig.  Hmmmmm?

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 10:37:50 pm »
    Or go one better, a GX:

This xInfinite

patkelly4370

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 12:23:19 am »
    I bought a 4runner last year and I have been specializing it for AZ offroading.
    I inquired on a 4runner forum about steel bumpers and their effect on airbag deployment. It appears from others' experiences that they do not.
    The accelerometers that deploy the airbags, at least in the case of 4runners, isn't in the bumper but elsewhere in the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ynotaz

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 06:55:37 am »
    For any Toyo product see Jeff Wescott @ Wescott designs.  He fabs, builds, and modifies specializing in Toyos.  You should be able to get a definitive answer there based on experience rather than Internet legend. 

https://westcottdesignsaz.com/
    I gotta think about a new sig.  Hmmmmm?

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #11 on: December 26, 2020, 08:37:52 am »
    Jeff is an awesome dude !
    I’ve used him a couple times for my Tundra.

PogoJack

• Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 03:08:41 pm »
    Thank you gents,  as always!

Wife is considering a Sequoia and the TRD models are dated, so she might get a different kit and do the lift and skidplate, etc. elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Starguco

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 10:35:19 pm »
    I have been waiting for someone to ask this question.

https://www.aluminess.com/

They did a fantastic job in making me a custom one for my truck. Pictures to follow when I can locate all of them from the fabrication in the factory to current install.
    There is no such thing as Overkill. Die Lehrer Klaus Horstkamp.

"We must reject the idea every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each indiviual is accountable for his actions." Ronald Reagan

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 06:20:30 am »
    Not participating in the Ford v Chevy debate....

I looked at a lot of small trucks last year and early this year:
    Toyota
    Ford
    Jeep - Gladiator
    Chevy
    Nissan
    Honda (THE RIDGELINE IS NOT A TRUCK!)

New / Used you name it.

Settled on the Ford Ranger for a few reasons not the least of which was a honkin' Family Discount through the A/Z plan.  But I liked the 2.3L Turbo Engine and the aftermarket support because 90% of the US Ranger has been available overseas for about the last 5 years.  There are a lot of good parts and add-ons coming out of the Australian Market - Bumpers and Bars.  I'm getting about 22 MPG in it over all, and on the highway I'm running mid 30's.  Much less going up to Prescott.  Much more coming down the hill.   I like to gas up with E-0 near the Hospital and then see how good I can get on the way home.  Each time I get home I'm so glad to be off the road, I forget to look at the mpg on the trip odometer.  I think along the way I saw something like a 66 MPG average but not sure where that settled out at.

It has been great off road and on road.  I'm eager for the stock tires to wear out (Hankook HT) so I can put on a slightly larger BFG ATKO's.  Every truck I put those on last so long that I'm usually selling the truck before I have to replace them.  Since I'm planning on driving this one into the ground and it's still new, I'm hoping I might get to see what it's like to replace some ATKO's one day.  Who knows - might sell this thing on my second set of them - LOL.

If you are thinking about going the Ranger Route - check out https://www.ranger5g.com/.  You can see what other people have done with theirs and what products they likes / didn't like.  Might be a good starting point.

EDIT TO ADD - If you throw a camper shell on the back it's an SUV.  I'm looking at that option sometime soon.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 06:22:39 am by GTGallop »
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 02:00:49 pm »
    Thank you gents,  as always!

Wife is considering a Sequoia and the TRD models are dated, so she might get a different kit and do the lift and skidplate, etc. elsewhere.

If you are looking for good deals and good service
    Hit up State 48 overland. You will either get jay or erick.
    If you are in the east valley or don’t mind a drive
    Head over to AZ Toy Pros. Erick works outta that shop and Ben the owner of Toy Pros is awesome.
    They are my to go to for all my offroad/ accessory needs and mechanical work on my Truck.

Tell them Jared from the Tundra group sent you.

• Contributor
    « Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 04:21:18 pm »
    If you are looking for good deals and good service
    Hit up State 48 overland. You will either get jay or erick.
    If you are in the east valley or don’t mind a drive
    Head over to AZ Toy Pros. Erick works outta that shop and Ben the owner of Toy Pros is awesome.
    They are my to go to for all my offroad/ accessory needs and mechanical work on my Truck.

Tell them Jared from the Tundra group sent you.
    Do they work on TJ Jeeps?

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 05:01:09 pm »
    They are strictly Toyota

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #18 on: January 02, 2021, 09:52:04 am »
    The one problem I know that's inherent with bull bars is, depending on the one you get, they can be damage multipliers. Since they are typically bolted together, during an accident the bolt holes will elongate as the bull bar gets pushed into the grill.  Once upon a time I was told that the best bull bars are ones that are welded together and welded directly to the frame. That way the force of the impact can be distributed across the much stronger frame. Don't know if this is true or not as I'm not that kind of engineer but it seems plausible.

One thing that I learned when I was a Toyota owner (had both a 4Runner and a Tacoma) was to check the underside of the vehicle for rust. 15-20 years ago the Taco's had frame rails that tended to rust badly in wetter and snowier climates. At one point Toyota even issued a recall to replace the frame rails on certain years of Tacomas.

When I ended up selling my Tacoma a couple of years ago, I did so for one simple reason. Towing. We decided to purchase a Toy Hauler and there was no way that my little Taco was going to be able to safely pull an 8000# trailer.
    « Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 09:54:10 am by Marx-ism's »
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

WranglerTJForum

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 08:39:28 am »
    I have one on my TJ. I can say that no one has ever hassled me about it.

PogoJack

• Contributor
    « Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 07:49:20 pm »
    Wife got an Ascent. Not bad for how she wants to use it, mostly as a mall crawler.

Probably going to get an undercoating and skid plates and bull bar from LP Adventure and get the above recommended shops to install them on the wife's Ascent, or see if they fabricate their own.

I'm going to get a Tundra in a few months to go off roading.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #21 on: January 10, 2021, 08:06:06 pm »

I'm going to get a Tundra in a few months to go off roading.

Let me know! I have tons of hookups on Tundras

patkelly4370

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2021, 11:45:18 pm »
    Picked up rock sliders Wednesday from Avid Offroad in Mesa.
    These are for my 5th gen 4runner.
    Tomorrow remove the nerf/steps and test fit. Then prep. Then paint.
    Only home two days a week so this could take a while. Might just prep and prime then set them aside until.it warms up a bit more.

Later I want to add this front bumper
    « Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 11:51:02 pm by patkelly4370 »

Starguco

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2021, 10:42:02 pm »
    I have been waiting for someone to ask this question.

https://www.aluminess.com/

They did a fantastic job in making me a custom one for my truck. Pictures to follow when I can locate all of them from the fabrication in the factory to current install.
    As promised. It took me a while to find the production pictures of the custom bumper. I will get a nice quality finished black painted picture as soon as I can provide two good use stories that prove the bumper is a solid built product.

"We must reject the idea every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each indiviual is accountable for his actions." Ronald Reagan

Starguco

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2021, 10:43:52 pm »
    more pics

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement