Username: Password:

Author Topic: Electricians on board  (Read 518 times)

azgarn

Electricians on board
« on: January 03, 2021, 01:46:20 pm »
I am looking to see if any members are electricians?
I am wanting to add a ceiling fan with a light to one of my rooms.
Have a light switch that goes somewhere? Guessing maybe prewired?

Looking to see if a side job is possible and how much?
Message me and I'll send you number.
I'm located in phx at 43rd ave and Bell.

Thx in advance

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Ballistic Therapy

Re: Electricians on board
    « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 05:51:19 pm »
    If you already have a ceiling fixture light , mounting a ceiling fan should be no problem.
    If not then you are going to have to open up the ceiling and more than likely the wall unless you have attic space above it.

The light switch that is already there more than likely goes to a wall outlet if it doesn't go to a ceiling light.

azgarn

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 05:57:56 am »
    I do have an attic.
    Checked all the wall outlets and switch doesn't control them.
    There is power at switch.

grayland

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 07:42:49 am »
    Check in attic and see if there is a capped wire near the center of the ceiling that is not used.  Check if it is hot when switch is on.
    It would be very unusual for a wire to be run and a ceiling box not installed...but anything is possible.
    NRA Member; AZDL Member; CCW; 2A Supporter

Ballistic Therapy

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 08:18:32 am »
    I do have an attic.
    Checked all the wall outlets and switch doesn't control them.
    There is power at switch.

If there is power to the switch it has to go somewhere.
    Did you check both sockets in each outlet.
    If the switch is connected to one of the outlets it probably only controls one of the sockets in the outlet.
    Building code says you have to have a switch by the door that controls one outlet in all bedrooms and in some cases by all exterior doors.

azgarn

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 11:47:50 am »
    Check in attic and see if there is a capped wire near the center of the ceiling that is not used.  Check if it is hot when switch is on.
    It would be very unusual for a wire to be run and a ceiling box not installed...but anything is possible.
    Looked couldn't find capped wire. Think I did find wire?

azgarn

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 11:52:30 am »
    If there is power to the switch it has to go somewhere.
    Did you check both sockets in each outlet.
    If the switch is connected to one of the outlets it probably only controls one of the sockets in the outlet.
    Building code says you have to have a switch by the door that controls one outlet in all bedrooms and in some cases by all exterior doors.
    I did check both sockets. It is odd to not have an outlet switch controlled in room.
    This room is kinda odd to me. Room is setup like den/office? Has wetbar instead of closet,three doorways one is an actual framed door others are archways.

Need to check wire I followed from run in attic to see if it is switched from room switch.

Thanks guys for suggestions so far.

CMore

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 04:45:35 pm »
    Dude will you stop flipping the switch...   My garage door keeps opening and closing everytime you hit it...   lol

Kidding aside...  When we moved into our ranch we found a controller we thought was for the garage door but, when we tried it the door did not open so we hit it a few more times and didn't notice anything (it was daytime)...  A month later a friend was visiting us at night and he saw the controller and hit the button all of a sudden it practically turned daylight outside...  Went outside to look and there were three large stadium lights lighting up the front and both sides of the property...   When you hit the controller the lights stay on for five minutes.   But, like you we still have one or two wall switches that don't seem to do anything... lol
    K1CJM

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 06:23:06 pm »
    I lived in an apartment once when I was young and stoopid.
    Added some switches and plugs to the walls.  No wires.  Didn't go to anything.  Figured that after I moved out they would be forever trying to explain to the new tenant why those never worked.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement