Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone have experience selling a Suppressor to another private party?  (Read 989 times)

Weekender

Hi All,

I considering selling a lightly used suppressor I own.   Was hoping someone on the board may have done this already and could provide some general guidance on best practice.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Weekender

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

cool arrow

Re: Anyone have experience selling a Suppressor to another private party?
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 03:47:25 pm »
    I did a couple with another board member while back, Form 4's and a lot of ATF BS and waiting...but it got done (legally). His LLC to my Trust.

Your best bet (IMHO) is to sell/transfer to someone who has done this before and has their paperwork squared away.

CZ

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 04:51:57 pm »
    Yep like Cool Arroow said Form 4s and wait not really a big deal.   If you have a trust you actually could put the other person on it and let them take possession of it sooner.  But, I would only do that with someone whom I trust like friend or family.

The other option is to transfer to a dealer and let them handle it.

delta6

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 05:47:54 pm »
    Yep like Cool Arroow said Form 4s and wait not really a big deal.   If you have a trust you actually could put the other person on it and let them take possession of it sooner.  But, I would only do that with someone whom I trust like friend or family.

The other option is to transfer to a dealer and let them handle it.

The transfer to a dealer would add another $200 to the Feds. If you are transferring individual to individual, it is simple. Fill out a form 4, have the buyer get his FD 258 cards (prints) and attach a $200 check and mail it to the Feds ... and as others said... wait.

CZ

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 07:53:27 pm »
    The transfer to a dealer would add another $200 to the Feds. If you are transferring individual to individual, it is simple. Fill out a form 4, have the buyer get his FD 258 cards (prints) and attach a $200 check and mail it to the Feds ... and as others said... wait.

Yes, thank you Delta6 for pointing out you will be paying two $200 taxes with a dealer.. 

So again the best bet is to transfer it yourself.

CGIS

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 12:38:39 am »
    Current wait is 240 days. You would have it by the 2021 MLB World Series.

cool arrow

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 07:24:11 am »
    The transfer to a dealer would add another $200 to the Feds.
    now I am curious, would this double the wait time?
    first stamp to the dealer, then second stamp for the buyer?

that would make it well over a year total time. eff that.

delta6

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 08:12:30 am »
    now I am curious, would this double the wait time?
    first stamp to the dealer, then second stamp for the buyer?

that would make it well over a year total time. eff that.
    Interesting question.
    Normal transfers from dealer to dealer (paper form 3) can take from less than 30 days to 90+ days. It all depends on your examiner. I would think (based on input from other dealers I know) that a paper form 4 from a private individual to a dealer would be at least 90+ days, then another 270+ days for the dealer to individual transfer. Transfer from or to a trust probably would add at least 30-90 days.

CZ

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 04:05:31 pm »
    I know of a sot who took NFA items in on consignment who held on to stuff until the paper work came back and the transfers were person to person.

For what it is worth I would trust most people who have gone through a NFA background check and transfer to handle the transaction correctly. So I would have no problem giving them a sizable down payment on an item.

delta6

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 04:47:54 pm »
    I know of a sot who took NFA items in on consignment who held on to stuff until the paper work came back and the transfers were person to person. ....
    Yikes, I hope that SOT understands that that is illegal... both for him and the owner of the NFA item.
    It is illegal for any person to receive or possess an NFA firearm that is not registered to them.

ynotaz

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 06:51:45 pm »
    I know of a sot who took NFA items in on consignment who held on to stuff until the paper work came back and the transfers were person to person.

For what it is worth I would trust most people who have gone through a NFA background check and transfer to handle the transaction correctly. So I would have no problem giving them a sizable down payment on an item.

Yikes, I hope that SOT understands that that is illegal... both for him and the owner of the NFA item.
    It is illegal for any person to receive or possess an NFA firearm that is not registered to them.

Search some of the gun forum for other FFL's who did that here in Phoenix.  At least one may still be able to post from the prison library computer system.
    Finally found my new sig:

https://youtu.be/yuEBBwJdjhQ?t=46

AZ Husker

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 04:16:50 am »
    If the sale is locked in, it's a very simple task to add him to your trust as a trustee, not beneficiary. If you don't have a trust set one up with both of you as trustees. Then let him pay you and take possession. Be careful though, you will be co-owners unless he can remove you from the trust. Legal? I'm no attorney.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement