Username: Password:

Author Topic: AR Variants  (Read 312 times)

KingGlamis

AR Variants
« on: January 07, 2021, 06:04:09 pm »
Saw a post from member RJ in the 300 Black Out thread that said "me thinks one should own every caliber of ar known." Well, I certainly agree, but unfortunately my bank account doesn't. Up until recently all my ARs were .223/5.56 other than a .22LR I had for the kids a while back. I now have a .50 Beowulf AR and it is loads of fun. Which brought this topic to my mind... to me, owning different calibers of guns is interesting, and fun. Self defense weapons are something I think most of us have covered. So additional guns are "just because you want them," right? Now, I'm certainly not going to buy an AR in every caliber, but I could see myself buying them in 3 or 4 more calibers. Just curious what others thoughts are on the topic?
“You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.” Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

JT

Re: AR Variants
    « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 12:39:47 pm »
    Just buying an upper would make it more affordable. Ammo availability is a problem in some calibers. The 350 Legend looks more interesting to me than the 300 BO. I have seen lots of 350L ammo available. Then there is the 6.5 Grendel and 6mm ARC etc.

RJ

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 01:25:38 pm »
    ar's are the easiest unit to assemble, only issue in odd calibers is the usually the buffer and on occassion a mag issue, but eventually most mag co's figure it out after a generation or two.

i just finished a .45 acp, and first time out, did not put space in buffer tube, and fubared a spring and some misc. parts, as the bolt returned way too far, now have delron and misc. buffer spacers to try out,

my all time fave is the 9mm pistol carbine, what a hoot,

i do have a 224, 223s out the wazoo, 300, wiley round couple 9's and now the .45.
    not sure whats next, as i have a 450 in a lever action, and its ok, the big calibres in the ar platform don't do anything for me, it was meant (the ar platform) to be a user friendly easy recoil unit to field, and is, imo. its ok first ones i got in the day were some ugly things. for sure.

i've been trying to find a 9mm AK reciever and barrel, as i would like to make a pistol ak in 9mm,  will see how the future goes
    enjoy, shoot what ya got, save that brass, it may be worth some goods soon
    Rj

DuneShoot

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 03:11:02 pm »
    Highly recommend the 6.5 grendel.
    Ammo is hard to find right now but they shoot excellent at distance.
    Reloading helps a ton.

tharger

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 08:31:29 am »
    Of course the 223.   Also 22 nosler, real pain to get it to run right.  6MM Hagar, not that is a real sweetheart.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement