Username: Password:

Author Topic: Facial Recognition Tech Applied to Inanimate Objects - Can it be done?  (Read 322 times)

GTGallop

• N5MKH
  • Administrator
    • QRZ - N5MKH
I have an iPhone.  Occasionally the photo app in the IOS that is native to the phone pops up a reminder.  "Hey! Here's a look at some pictures you took last year on vacation."  It seems pretty innocuous.  Pictures were easily grouped by GPS, in a popular vacation spot, away from my home, and I took like 50 pictures in a 3 day period.  I can see how computer logic could put that together.  Neat feature.  Thanks Apple!

Then after our anniversary trip to Las Vegas (foodie trip) it popped up a "memory" of all of my great meals.  Some from the trip we took and some from other trips.  Interesting...?  So it recognizes pictures of food, not grouped by date or location.  And not all taken at a restaurant.  Some were meals we prepared at home.  If you think about the abstractness and variations of food in all of it's many forms, that's pretty impressive.  But it also got my hackles up a bit.

Then this weekend, it gave me another reminder.  I like Tequila - fine tequila.  Have collected and consumed over the years and posted in Tequila forums about it.  I was shocked when it popped up a reminder that I had a memory about all of my "Liquor (Tequila)" and then proceeded to show me pictures of tequila bottles and glasses.  The fact that it can recognize a liquor bottle is less impressive than food and I'm assuming Optical Character Recognition picked up the word "tequila" on the bottles in some cases (to be fair it did throw in the occasional bourbon bottle - I'm a sucker for Old Forrester too).  So it feels almost easier than showing me my food.  But someone had to take the time to load a bunch of these images into an AI system and "teach" it what food looks like or what liquor bottles look like.  This didn't happen by accident - it's intentional.

By now I'm sure most of you are following me.  But for the slow kids, I'll spell this out.  If your iPhone (and assumedly Android) can identify vacations, food, and liquor, it damn sure has the ability to identify a firearm or a knife or a sword or a Gadsden flag or what ever common images you find on your phone that would make your phone unique to you or at least politically unique to you.  I have always thought, that's nothing to worry about.  Don't be too paranoid.  But then like minded groups have been censored from platform to platform recently.  Big tech has decided what is and is not acceptable for you to think or do.  Now those tequila pictures are just a little more creepier than I initially thought.

Not sure what to think about all of this yet.  Not even sure how I feel or if I'll maintain a relationship with a smart phone in the future. It may be time to get a Sonim XP3 or something like it.  Until then, I'm sure I'll be using my iPhone for less and less of the "smart phone" ability and mostly for calls and messaging.
The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

cool arrow

Re: Facial Recognition Tech Applied to Inanimate Objects - Can it be done?
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 10:59:40 am »
    I agree with all that you said above, add to that the reality that all those cool, life enhancing electronic devices (Alexa, etc) are listening too.

Where does that data go?

How is it that the gf and I are talking about a new air fryer and poof, ads magically pop up on my feeds for air fryers. We do not have any of these schmancy life helping devices like an Echo Dot or Alexa, save cell phones.

Add to that, social media sale ads. I look up an item on Ebay or Amazon, and all of a sudden there are links on my login page for Yahoo and FB?

Make no mistake, there are algorithms for EVERYTHING. Without a doubt, your electronics spy on you, and again, without a doubt, they are trained to pick up words and phrases, IN YOUR HOME.

Big Brother is not only watching, he is LISTENING too.

Josh_357

• Trigger warning: I'm not PC.
    « Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 11:54:39 am »
    Everything is linked and communicating with each other any way they can.

Think of it this way... the more convenient something may be, the more it is probably invading your privacy. Especially those damn home devices that listen to everything you say.

Plenty would have said it was paranoid years ago... I don't care. It is what it is and Big Tech ain't your friend and Big Brother is aligned with Big Tech.
    There is nothing more deceptive then an obvious fact. - Sherlock Holmes

Memento Mori

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 04:12:31 pm »
    Ever notice how reluctant some folks are to venture beyond the range of cell phone service?    :hmm    If you squint your eyes a little bit you can almost see how it resembles an electronic leash.   :coffee
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 05:10:35 pm »
    I'm imagining a day when you can't get access to a college because of pictures on your phone, or your home mortgage you are applying to is a higher interest rate because you are a "risky" loan as determined by the content on your phone.

This basically becoming like a Social Justice Credit Score.  Your web site, your business, your tv shows can all be canceled if they do not support the Supreme Leader.

My wife's employer sent a note that their corporate charity match program no longer includes organizations that were part of the insurrection on Capitol Hill - including the politicians that voted to de-certify.
    My sisters has sent her an e-mail telling her how she should feel about the event's on Capitol Hill.  She checked for similar communications in her archived E-Mail but there was nothing from back when Ferguson was burning, nothing from when Trump was elected and the people rioted, nothing from when Antifa was assaulting people and nothing about how she should feel about Chop/Chaz.  Interesting how now she needs coaching.  To be fair the e-mail did have some good points to it about we are all Americans and have more in common than divides us, but the decision to wade into these troubled political waters at this time?  Meh seems a little bit one sided.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 08:42:17 pm »
    Surveillance has a single purpose.   :coffee
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

CMore

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 09:38:42 pm »
    They do listen to you. I will not allow any of those alexa etc.  in my house. I don't use anything with speech recognition.
    K1CJM

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement