Username: Password:

Author Topic: Recommendations on a mid price range optic for my AR10  (Read 364 times)

Jk17766

Recommendations on a mid price range optic for my AR10
« on: January 22, 2021, 01:18:21 pm »
I tend to stick to vortex optics on my less precise rifles, I just feel the price cant be beat for what is offered.
I was curious as to if anybody has any different recommendations other than the viper for the $400-$800 range? Either a 4-12 or 4-16.
TIA

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

JT

Re: Recommendations on a mid price range optic for my AR10
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 06:35:10 am »
    I have a Steiner 3x prism for 7.62x51 I would sell. $350. I don't have any 308 anymore.

C-grunt

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 07:16:31 pm »
    If you qualify for the first responder/mil discount through Vortex the PST Gen 2 scopes are under 800 bucks. A buddy has the 5-25 model and I was pretty impressed for the money.

The Nikon Black FX1000 scopes are almost 50 percent off right now. I picked up a 4-16 model for about 450 bucks a while back. They were a good buy when they were 850-1000 dollars and at under 500 they are a crazy good deal. However nothing good comes without a price. Nikon has stopped making rifle scopes all together. They say they will honor the warranties on the scope but who knows how long that will last.

I hear the Sing Tango 4 is decent but I havent used one yet.

But I gotta throw this out there.... for about 300 bucks over your 800 budget you are looking at the Nightforce SHV F1 4-14. You are getting into a whole different league of scope there.

Here is a pretty good video on 1000 dollar precision rifle scopes.

C-grunt

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 07:23:10 pm »
     Forgot to add...

Another buddy has the Burris XTR-ii on his AR10. I liked everything about the scope but, like the video above said, the view was noticeably darker than the other scopes. Not enough to hinder shooting but it was noticeable.

On the low end of the spectrum the SWFA SS 10x scope for 299 or 399 with the side parallax adjustment is a great scope for the money. Great glass for the price and the turrets track well. Not the sexiest scope because it's a fixed 10 power but probably the one I would pick under 1k unless you want the Nikon.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement