Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ammo solution?  (Read 873 times)

KingGlamis

Ammo solution?
« on: January 26, 2021, 07:18:33 pm »
I know a bunch of you are going to call me crazy (actually just a normal guy) but hear me out, please. What if... we found someone local that has the knowledge to mass produce ammo, and then found a way to fund the making of that ammo?

So let's say it starts off small and builds over time. A guy like me says I will pay $1000 a month to be a partner in this business. And once it is successful all the investors will make profits according with their investment. So if 20 people invested the first month that is $20,000 to get started. And another $20,000 the next month. If 50 people participate the third month that is 50 grand in one month invested. Pretty soon we would be making some serious ammo quantities. At first it would be sales to locals only. Like members of this forum. But as it grew... let it grow to nationwide sales!

Just an idea guys, please don't roast me too hard. But seriously, I would invest in such a plan if it had rock solid management.
“You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.” Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

s3nfo

Re: Ammo solution?
    « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 07:48:19 pm »
    Yep, crazy. You still can't get precursors, so the only way this works is if you make the powder (if you can even get the makings for powder, you may have to start this process by mining the sulfur and potassium nitrate), cast your own bullets and cases (if you can get the raw materials, copper shouldn't be a problem here, but lead's going to be hard to find, and don't even get me started on milling the molds), make your own primers........
    Just don't see how this works, no matter how much money you can come up with.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 09:07:06 pm »
    I was thinking about ammo orders as a subscription service.

You agree to a $100 hit on your CC each month and we ship you 400 rounds of 9mm or 5.56 or what ever.

Fill out a profile telling us what calibers you run and how much, ten we run the machines churning out the ammo and selling them for cost plus minimal margin.  We get the guaranteed income of the subscription and you get ammo delivered on the 5th of each month.

Gotta be better than those monthly boxes of manly shit that seem to be all the rage.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

headbanger69

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 10:15:39 pm »

You agree to a $100 hit on your CC each month and we ship you 400 rounds of 9mm or 5.56 or what ever.

Fill out a profile telling us what calibers you run and how much, ten we run the machines churning out the ammo and selling them for cost plus minimal margin.  We get the guaranteed income of the subscription and you get ammo delivered on the 5th of each month.

Gotta be better than those monthly boxes of manly shit that seem to be all the rage.

That would be a great way to cut down on shipping costs as well, since wouldn't need super fast shipping if there was a consistent target date to fulfill.

thom

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 10:45:13 pm »
    I think that it is a great idea.  The biggest problem already listed is components and we know how hard it is to find primers these days.  Isn't there a place in Payson that was making and selling reloads until they ran out of components?

Thom
    Finally Retired
    AZCDL Life Member
    GOA
    NRA Life Member
    A politician is a fellow who wants you to lay down your life for his country.

patkelly4370

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 11:01:31 pm »
    I seem to remember a company doing this during the last shortage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 09:11:11 am »

Agreed.    :facepalm

That said, UNAMMO was in the business of acquiring truckloads of stuff and selling some of it by pallet loads and they are, sadly, no longer in business.   To help with the current ammo shortage you have to find the bottlenecks along the way and work to fix those at the source.  A lot of that really can't be done from here.  We produce copper - lots of it - but that isn't really the problem in the supply chain at this point.  I don't think we have the all the raw materials here to do it which means importing stuff which is where we are now regarding the market. 

If you're talking about setting up a home grown ammunition industry you're facing the same problems as any other start-up.  It might take you a year or more to get all the pieces together for even a small to mid-sized operation assuming the current shortages would even allow it.  If you gamble on doing it and the market finally catches up with demand - say, eighteen months to two years down the line you may be stuck with ammo that you can't sell at a profit - or maybe even at cost.   :-\

Maybe a more realistic and helpful plan would be to get small, private sources for critical components and/or figure out a way to make what is in short supply.  Lots of bullet casters around here - fewer bullet swagers but they exist.  Cartridge cases are simply a larger extension of a swaging operation.  What we don't seem to have is any source for primers or any prospects for setting up production here - at least not at this time. Cups and anvils can be produced by a swaging operation but - there is no priming compound or no powder manufacturing either that I'm aware of around here.   Without those things the idea may be dead in the water. 

I agree that an in state ammunition industry is a great idea but in this current environment its not as easy as lining up potential customers and waiting for the magic to happen.  I'm also not saying it can't be done and I'd be surprised if folks like Dillon Precision aren't looking into it but whatever the scale of the operation the same basic problems remain.  I'd love to hear from folks who know more about this than I do - maybe some of you have contacts that can outline what we would need to do to make it happen.   :coffee
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

CMore

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 09:40:03 pm »
    It would be a cool thing to do but... 

A friend of mine produces reloads and first run factory ammo.  His biggest problem to start was getting primers and powder now it is very difficult to get most of the components needed. Each of his machines can do several thousand rounds per hour but most of them are sitting there doing nothing all day because of a lack of parts.

If you were to produce everything it would take a massive amount of money just to set up the manufacturing lines of each component that you would need.
    K1CJM

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 06:03:15 am »
    To do this legally you'd need to get a Type 06 FFL to manufacture ammunition for firearms. Also a good deal of liability insurance would be needed in case someone  put one of your manufactured rounds into a firearm and it damaged it or the shooter.  Way too many loop holes to jump through. Just learn to do your own reloading and try to stock as much powder, primers and bullets as you can then use that to roll your own.
    Luke 22:36 (NIV)
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

Casswick

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 01:51:37 pm »
    Im in, i'll be there to supervise.
    "...the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging and kicking them into obedience." —Aldous Huxley to George Orwell

CMore

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 08:30:04 pm »
    Picked up some reloading supplies today... 9 mm
    K1CJM

CMore

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 08:30:32 pm »
    And some powder...
    K1CJM

• Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 04:22:56 pm »
    You must produce stuff commercially.  That is a lot of stock.

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 08:31:12 pm »
    Wow. :woot That would keep me reloading for the rest of my natural life.  :drool But what about primers?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement