Username: Password:

Author Topic: Back to MX Linux.  (Read 342 times)

TNFrank61

• Contributor
Back to MX Linux.
« on: January 27, 2021, 10:02:10 am »
Well, openSUSE removed a bunch of packages with my last update and borked Firefox. Nothing I could do fixed it so I just nuked and paved over with a clean MX Linux install.

https://rumble.com/vdbfib-back-to-mx-linux..html
Luke 22:36 (NIV)
36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
- Ted Nugent

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    Re: Back to MX Linux.
    « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 11:16:08 am »
    Good to know.  Lots of folks looking at Linux based systems these days and you videos on the topic are valuable information from a current user.  Good content to have on this forum in this day and age.  Thanks for posting them.   :thumbup
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 10:14:43 am »
    Yep, if you're concerned about your privacy then a good Linux Distro is the way to go for your operating system. :thumbup
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

PogoJack

• Contributor
    • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
    « Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 12:06:42 pm »
    Thanks,  Frank! I'll look into this.  Back in the day I was an OpenBSD head running Gnome desktop. Now I apreciate how far these Linux distros have come.

Like that Debian shirt BTW.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

289ace

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 09:18:00 am »
    OP, can you provide any links to how one makes the transition from Windows to Linux? For the novices it seems to be a bit daunting but I would like to make the transition from microsoft to Linux. Also, is Libreoffice the best choice for open source word/spreadsheet software that isn't microsoft?

I just bought a new laptop and might as well make the change now.

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 08:14:47 am »
    LibreOffice is pretty good especially if you download the MS Founts to use with it. There's plenty of good videos on YouTube on how to move from Microsoft Windows to Linux.  Main thing is don't get overwhelmed by all the Distros you see. Most are based on Either Debian, Ubuntu(which is based on Debian) or Arch. I'd stick with something based on Debian or Ubuntu as a new user because they're more stable. That's why I like MX Linux with the KDE desktop environment.  On Windows you'll need to download Rufus to make your Live USB stick to boot to and do the install. Once you're on Linux you can use dd from the terminal to make Live USB sticks.  Also, you can give a Distro a look by booting to it without having to change your system. If things work and you like what you see you can back up your data onto an external USB then do the install. Once you've used it for a while and see how easy it really is you'll never want to go back to Windows.  :thumbup

- Ted Nugent

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 10:31:48 am »
    The Tech Radar site has a few good thumbnail comparison charts to help narrow down the selections and point new users in the right direction.   :coffee
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

289ace

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 06:18:45 pm »

Thank You Gentlemen and let the adventure begin.........

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 10:16:36 am »
    You can also hit Distrowatch to find the latest downloadable Linux and BSD Distros.

https://distrowatch.com/

Don't be overwhelmed by the number of Distros that you see. Most are simply respins of Debian/Ubuntu or Arch.

- Ted Nugent

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement