Username: Password:

Author Topic: Best small gun for BIG hands?  (Read 1567 times)

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
Re: Best small gun for BIG hands?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2021, 04:42:19 pm »
Good choice.  They are pretty pocket friendly in the proper holster and very controllable.  I have not fired the 9mm version but the same revolver with a .38 special +P is no problem for me.   :thumbup
" A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                              Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

JT

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2021, 08:33:56 am »
    Just remember the LCR snubs are 16 oz loaded. Hot loads can get snappy. I have the 38 spl. I wear a large size glove so my hands are not excessive. I find the Glock 19 gen 4 and the G26 fit me very well. The original S&W Shield is too thin even with the grip kit. The newer Shield Max is better. I tried the Sig P365 and the Springfield Hellcat. Prefer the Hellcats sights and grip. Ruger SR9C and the Max 9 are contenders. I went from the SR9C to a Glock 19 because I wanted a matching PCC then Ruger brought out their PCC.

RJ

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2021, 08:45:33 am »
    xd midsize or a officer size 1911 platform, caliber of choice

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #28 on: July 13, 2021, 11:54:10 am »
    The XDs conceals and carries well but is a handful to shoot without the magazine extension - especially in .45ACP.  Ask me how I know .  .  .    :whistle    I've never had a stovepipe jam with it but for me a small automatic with a hefty mainspring is an order of magnitude harder to clear than a full size pistol with the same malfunction. 

With smallish automatics being a bit more ammo sensitive than their full sized brethren your carry ammo has got to prove itself beyond any shadow of a doubt.  Repeatedly.  You also have to make damned sure you get all the pocket lint, gum wrappers, dirt, and grit ( .  .  and God knows what else that was in your pocket at the same time your gun was in there .  . ) cleaned out on a regular basis.   

That is one of the reasons I tend to like the smaller revolvers in a pocket holster - particularly the hammerless designs like the LCR. YMMV.   :coffee
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Phoneman

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2021, 11:28:28 am »
    Glock 43 would be what I would recommend. I have fairly large hands as well and the 43 fits nicely and is comfortable. I would say that the 43 is one of the most versatile carry pistols on the market. You can carry it just about anyway you want.

I would NOT recommend the Ruger LCP/LC9. In my opinion they are not comfortable. Others may disagree with me on this but many, including myself, feel the same on that.

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #30 on: July 17, 2021, 08:57:12 am »
    With the 5rd Moon Clip, I wonder whether .380's (9mm Short) would work in the LCR 9 snubbie. Due to a fudgeup, I already know they won't work in a 9mm semi.

I know that the 9mm case has a bit of taper, but the 380's also shorter. https://www.diffen.com/difference/.380_ACP_vs_9mm

Sig-Sauer makes a very nice little crown hollowpoint for the .380 and short barrels. If it could be made to work, it ought to tame that snap somewhat, but still retain some effective firepower.

It doesn't need to feed from a mag or cycle a semi. I'm really wondering if it's doable.

I'm not at all well versed on wheel guns, so I ask.

Greg
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 09:12:51 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

SupportThe2nd

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2021, 07:43:36 am »
    While I do not have large hands but I have read many reviews of my EDC which is a S&W MP Plus, people that do have large hands have mentioned that it is comfortable for them. Personally I love it and it has become my favorite EDC.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Mr. Nobody

• 🇺🇸Free Speech Matters🇺🇸
    • Contributor
    « Reply #32 on: July 18, 2021, 05:15:50 pm »
    While I do not have large hands but I have read many reviews of my EDC which is a S&W MP Plus, people that do have large hands have mentioned that it is comfortable for them. Personally I love it and it has become my favorite EDC.

It would he a good choice, I think it's 13+1 with the extended mag, right?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
    ― Mark Twain

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."
    - George Carlin

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

DEFUND WELFARE

SupportThe2nd

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2021, 08:48:58 am »
    It would he a good choice, I think it's 13+1 with the extended mag, right?

Yes, I was pleased with that, it has been one of the better ones in my arsenal of edc's. Now what do with all those other holsters? :)
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #34 on: July 20, 2021, 08:20:22 am »
    So, no bites on the 380/9mm question.

Fair enough, many folks here are showing reticence and wisdom.

You realize, I will try it, though (IF I ever get one of my own, somewhere way down my road...).

Stop me before I goof again...!!! Pleez!

Greg
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #35 on: July 20, 2021, 09:30:48 am »
    I'm guessing it will work .  .  .  sort of.  You probably won't endanger yourself or damage the gun as long as you observe normal range safety rules. 

The .380 ACP runs at lower pressure than the 9mmP so firing and extraction shouldn't be a problem with the moon clip(s) - BUT - the extractor groove on the 9mmP and the .380 ACP are not the same size and shape profile so the moon clips you have might work - or they might not.  I'm guessing the moon clip(s) will be necessary because of the headspace difference(s) between 9mmP and .380 ACP. 

Even if the moon clip fit is imprecise the cartridge chambers will contain the case in the revolver's structure and there should be enough engagement between the clip and the cartridge to provide something close to the headspace necessary to function.  If you are so inclined, you could check the fit with a feeler gauge.   Bore size is close enough for government work so probably no issues there. 

Let us know how this turns out. 
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #36 on: July 20, 2021, 12:39:17 pm »
    My thinking and yours are very similar (except that you're better versed in the details). I will report, and include the needed caveats. I also expect I can forget about reloading the 380's, too.

Greg

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement