Username: Password:

Author Topic: Do I need a new elk hunting scope?  (Read 1764 times)

CZ

Do I need a new elk hunting scope?
« on: February 06, 2021, 09:44:30 pm »
My son and I are doing a 6 day horse hunting trip in Colorado this year so lighter seems like a good idea plus at 64 years old and hiking at 6500 to 10000 feet (I live at 2000) I will be prone to sucking a little air sometime.  I am figuring my shooting range between 80 to 400 yards max.  I set my personal limit at 400 when hunting even though I have no problem out to 800 on paper targets. 

I have a Christensen Arms  MPR with a 5-25 PST Gen 2 Vortex, silencer, bipod and sling it weighs around 10 pounds.

I have a brand new Leupold 3.5-10 that has been sitting on my shelf for years but, my son thinks I should go with something in the range of 4-16  I like the 3.5-10 because it weighs around 13 ounces... But, I wonder if saving 15 to 20 ounces is worth the hassle? I also am very comfortable ranging and shooting with the PST.

So what do you guys think?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

RetroG

• Contributor
    Re: Do I need a new elk hunting scope?
    « Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 11:15:26 pm »
    If you are are limiting yourself to 400 yards, 10x is plenty of magnification.  10 pounds is heavy if you are going to be hiking at those altitudes (I live above 2000 feet and I have hiked with a full Camelbak at those ranges of altitudes, and I’m over 60 as well), so lighter is better, and you will feel those extra ounces.

I personally prefer Leopold over Vortex, but there are those here who hold the opposite opinion.  If you have the same style of reticle, I’d go with the lighter scope.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 12:55:29 am »
    Well, lighter is generally better in the field - especially packing stuff around at altitude.  One thing I can tell you about horse packing trips in the mountains is they can be rough on equipment.  Its a good idea to take a spare scope for your rifle if at all possible. 

I agree that a 10x scope that is clear and distortion free is plenty of magnification for deer sized animals at 400 yards and Leupold has always been good glass for me in the field. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Ballistic Therapy

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 07:59:03 am »
    I would use a Leupold over a Vortex.

I shoot my rifles before every hunt to make sure they are sighted in.
    I personally like a fixed 6X when hunting.
    When I hunt with an adjustable scope I keep it on 6X.

I have killed Couese whitetail at just over 400 yards before with a fixed 4X scope. They are much smaller than elk by a long shot.
    I really don't like to shoot over 350 yards when it comes to hunting.
    If they are too far away , get closer.
    If you can't get closer , there will be a next time.
    A good steady rest is more important than how high the magnification is.

CZ

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 11:45:06 am »
    All good advice.   I think the Leupold 3.5-10 should work fine that will get the package weight down well under 10 pounds.

I do have a Model Seven Remington .308 and a Winchester 88 lever gun in .308 they are both about 2 pounds lighter and unthreaded barrels (so no suppressor) but, I don't shoot them as well.  They are 2 to 3 MOA guns compared to my MPR's .5MOA

CZ

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 12:06:51 pm »
    If you are are limiting yourself to 400 yards, 10x is plenty of magnification.  10 pounds is heavy if you are going to be hiking at those altitudes (I live above 2000 feet and I have hiked with a full Camelbak at those ranges of altitudes, and I’m over 60 as well), so lighter is better, and you will feel those extra ounces.

I personally prefer Leopold over Vortex, but there are those here who hold the opposite opinion.  If you have the same style of reticle, I’d go with the lighter scope.

I like Leopold the VX-3HD 4.5-14x40 CDS-ZL  it is looking good and is under a pound.  I like the CDS.

Ruh-roh

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 12:21:16 pm »
    Rifle, caliber and scopes, Oh My!  All I will say is take the gun you feel confident in. Sounds like a great Elk hunting trip. Have you done any hiking at/over 10,000 feet? Found out 2 years ago I get altitude sick just standing around at 10,300’ when I was at Sandia peak. After 15 minutes I thought I might be having a heart attack. Wife drove us back down to 7,000’ in record time.

CZ

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 12:40:53 pm »
    Rifle, caliber and scopes, Oh My!  All I will say is take the gun you feel confident in. Sounds like a great Elk hunting trip. Have you done any hiking at/over 10,000 feet? Found out 2 years ago I get altitude sick just standing around at 10,300’ when I was at Sandia peak. After 15 minutes I thought I might be having a heart attack. Wife drove us back down to 7,000’ in record time.

I lived in Reno at 4800 feet and I did a lot of rock / mountain climbing and backpacking in my younger days. (10 years ago)   My plans for this trip will be driving out to a few days early to start acclimating plus in preceding months I will be hiking camping in the mountains around Prescott on a few weekends so I should be OK starting out at 6500 feet as I understand the hunting areas we will be in are 6500 to 10000 feet. 

I posted above I live at 2000 but, I just rechecked and I live at 3000 feet in Congress but, I do need to get in better shape and this is as good excuse as any... Now to just do it... lol

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 06:51:11 pm »
    Well heck, just start running up and down Yarnell Hill and you'll either be in shape - or dead - in no time.   :-P
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

CZ

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 12:27:14 am »
    Well heck, just start running up and down Yarnell Hill and you'll either be in shape - or dead - in no time.   :-P

I actually have been thinking of that...  Well walking not running.. lol

Stormrageaz

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2024, 06:17:45 pm »
    Is it possible to put scope on a herny golden boy?

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #11 on: March 08, 2024, 05:36:18 pm »
    Never saw one with a scope on it.  Have you checked with Henry?
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Ballistic Therapy

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2024, 07:39:15 pm »
    Is it possible to put scope on a herny golden boy?
    There are quite a few companies making mounts for them , so I would say yes.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement