Username: Password:

Author Topic: Favorite Pepper Spray?  (Read 458 times)

GTGallop

• N5MKH
  • Administrator
    • QRZ - N5MKH
Favorite Pepper Spray?
« on: February 07, 2021, 07:01:02 pm »
Initially when my daughter went to college, they said "No Weapons" and that included pepper spray and a host of other weapons.  I had an interesting game of "is this a weapon?" with admissions trying to figure out where they drew the line.  Plastic knives with a serrated edge no longer than an inch was it.

Now it sounds like they are loosening as many of the students have small reasonable pocket knives and the girls are allowed pepper spray.

I know we all have opinions about pepper spray but there are some better than others.
Currently looking at this one but seking your recommendations.
https://www.galls.com/sabre-red-mk-iv-crossfire-spray?PMWTNO=000000000002236&PMSRCH=

If I can find it, I'd like to get her one that just has water in it also as a training aid to see what it is like to pop one.  Do they make inert sprays?
The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    Re: Favorite Pepper Spray?
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 07:16:16 pm »
    Yes, but all that stuff is hard to find right now.  The ones that are the mid sized units the police use are the hardest.  Its either the mega bear spray size or the dinky little key chain ones.  Chris at Lucky Gunner did a segment on them a while back but I have lost the bookmarked link so you might have to do a web search.  I learned some stuff from that one.   :thumbup
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Mr. Nobody

• Trigger warning: I'm not PC.
    « Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 07:34:20 pm »
    Sabre brand I recommend. Get the hottest you can. The kind that will make an attacker feel like the melted face guy from Robocop.

Gel is a popular option as it's heavier and stickier.

If possible, get one with a UV marking dye. Works excellent for ID for law enforcement. Hard to wash off too.

You can get them even at Walmart. Key chain units are nice for women because you slap it on a purse and it's always there. They'll net you around 25 bursts. Specifically ones with the break away quick detach.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SABRE-Pepper-Spray-New-User-Kit/46683789

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SABRE-Pink-Pepper-Spray-with-Quick-Release-Helps-Fight-Breast-Cancer/55501885

Yes they do make inert training sprays for practice.

I'd also suggest a taser (screw the school, survival and not being a victim matters most). They make civilian versions of the tasers cops have carried for years.

Also don't stop spraying until it's out. Even if the POS is begging for mercy, empty the can.

I'd also recommend an excellent book called "When violence is the answer" by Tim Larkin who has been a self defense instructor for 25+ years. I recommend it for men and women. Gets you into the mental mindset of fighting to survive.

Hope these things help.

Also, if she's willing, real self defense classes. I'm not talking karate kid shit, I'm talking full on Krav Maga win at all costs training. Even a few sessions would put her probably ahead of the average criminal.
    There is nothing more deceptive then an obvious fact. - Sherlock Holmes

Memento Mori

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 08:32:38 pm »
    None of the key chain units seem to have much range and the gel is also a bit range compromised because it emits larger droplets.  Even one of those is probably better than harsh language but outdoors on a windy day - all bets are off.  Ask me how I know.   :facepalm
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 08:54:44 pm »
    I'm guessing you didn't get harsh language blown back in your face?
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 09:11:59 pm »
    Correct.  The stream went about 2 -3 feet and got dispersed into a cloud of vapor by the wind which then headed back in my direction.  I was hoping to dissuade man's best friend from attaching teeth to my person at the time and while that was largely successful the lack of range and overall effectiveness were disconcerting.  And yes, you will survive pepper spray.  Stings for a while but not fatal. 
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

PogoJack

• Contributor
    • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
    « Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 09:16:36 pm »
    I had to use pepper gel in self defense.  A 300+pound drunken angry gangbanger attacked me. Sabre Red Police Pepper Gel worked. 

Used it indoors, I got a bit on myself but nothing major.  Saved my life that day.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NKSPR8/

CMore

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 12:31:58 am »
    Does Bear spray count as a weapon?

When I was in the Army one of the cooks at our mess hall carried a squirt gun with ammonia in it...
    K1CJM

azkane

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 03:10:27 pm »
    Fox Labs or Sabre

Dullahan

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 08:08:58 pm »
    Yep, Sabre Red. I asked a family member to spray me in the face with it so I could judge its effectiveness. Man it burned! It hurt more to open my eyes than keep them shut. It lasted hours. Could not wash it off. Highly recommended.
    "This gun is Liberty. Hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery." - Toussaint L'Ouverture

Mr. Nobody

• Trigger warning: I'm not PC.
    « Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 11:34:02 am »
    None of the key chain units seem to have much range and the gel is also a bit range compromised because it emits larger droplets.  Even one of those is probably better than harsh language but outdoors on a windy day - all bets are off.  Ask me how I know.   :facepalm

I agree, not ideal but easy to keep with you if you're especially a woman. My wife leaves it on the outside of her purse, where it can be yanked off and used if needed. It would probably present as a mild deterrent as well. We pretty much do everything together so if anyone wanted to try, I'd just end up defending us first and foremost. She's coming around to the idea of carrying which is what I would prefer.

Most likely, a violent encounter is going to be up close and personal. Your experience of course being an animal is a variable possibility and wind always sucks with sprays and glad you're okay!

Of course the larger units or as someone mentioned, "Bear Spray" or the big cans you see riot police carrying would be the Cadillac of pepper sprays. God knows most women carry a big enough purse and you could hose someone with that stuff!
    There is nothing more deceptive then an obvious fact. - Sherlock Holmes

Memento Mori

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 07:21:11 pm »
    Bought two sabre red gel w/ UV dye.  Thanks Lads!

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 08:28:33 pm »
    Were you able to score any practice canisters?
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 05:17:07 am »
    Not yet.

Everything I think is a practice canister is really just an H2O based pepper spray.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 08:24:50 pm »
    Apparently the pocket/keyring sized ones are hard to find in the best of times.  I was told the only ones regularly stocked are the ones for the bigger canisters like the police use and those have been back-ordered for months.  I was hoping you'd found a secret stash . . .  :-)
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 10:06:14 pm »
    Late to the thread, but I've used LE Bodyguard 10, good stuff, Sabre Red stream, AKA seasoning in a can, and Phantom - THAT stuff is the Devil's own farts! Works great.

yabiah

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 01:32:47 pm »
    Lots of great info.
    The wife and I have a couple POM's and Sabre Red gel.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement