Username: Password:

Author Topic: Gun Broker... wow  (Read 515 times)

monster

Gun Broker... wow
« on: February 14, 2021, 07:31:46 am »
A cautionary tale for newbies to gun broker and input request from seasoned users.

So I listed stuff regularly on GB, and have always had the pleasure of bids and sales to awesome people. That changed yesterday however. I posted some ammo at a awesome price and the bidding frenzy began. A gentleman won the bid and I reached out promptly. Gentleman wanted to do PayPal and requested an invoice, gentleman sent payment, awesome. The something happened that never happened before, PayPal notified me a hold was on funds, Okau no worries, I reached out to the bidder and let him know.

This is where it gets crazy, as soon as I let him know (just an FYI) kinda thing, he started wanting to back out of the order, getting cold feet. Said he could get item for dirt cheap elsewhere (first lie). He also says he was scammed by another seller...

I started get suspicious at this point and double checked GB and PP turns out they(PP)  updated their prohibited items list and the item he wanted was on it, Okay no big deal let me inform him that we cannot do PP.

He immediately gets crazy claiming that I have his CC# (umm I don’t see that on PP, cmon man) and states that I am a scammer. I politely screenshot him the policy and still is very aggressive and threatening. I immediately notify the gentlemen that PP does not allow that item and that his money was refunded and to check his account, still made threats and was aggressive.

I started thinking about this, and suspect maybe this guy takes orders for items violating PP, probably claims box was empty or something, and when the seller tries to get the money, PP says sorry but you sold a prohibited item we (PP) won’t help, just my take on what was going on.

I contact GB and let them know everything that happened and they sent a generic copy paste reply. Wow thanks GB lol.

Any one experience anything like this on GB? And to the newer folks on GB be aware.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Ballistic Therapy

Re: Gun Broker... wow
    « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 07:50:25 am »
    If you look at other auctions that accept PayPal they always say to pay it as " friends and family ".
    That way it can't be linked to guns and ammo and there is no recourse for the buyer.
    Just about everything else is OK to pay with PayPal.
    Guns and ammo is a no go as far as PayPal is concerned.
    When I sell guns on Gunbroker I only accept USPS Money Orders.
    I have never had a problem with any transactions.

Lots of businesses take payPal , but not for guns and ammo.
    Sportsmans Warehouse for instance accepts PayPal on anything in the store except guns and ammo.
    « Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 07:52:29 am by Ballistic Therapy »

Ballistic Therapy

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 07:54:59 am »
    To add.
    I don't think you can blame Gunbroker for the policy of PayPal.

monster

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 08:49:37 am »
    No, no fault to GB for PayPal policy. In fact I think GB updated a few days before I started the listing that PayPal doesn’t do Guns and Ammo. I played it safe and just enrolled in GB pay, even though they charge 1.4% on each transaction, I’m fine as it will probably reduce the headache.

PK90

• Estrella Ordnance
    « Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 09:27:21 am »
    PayPal has been anti-gun for over 15 years now. They will lock your account and steal your funds.
    Owner of Estrella Ordnance
    NRA Life Benefactor Member
    AZCDL Life Member

hombre

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 09:42:31 am »
    Copy that.  I have used GB throughout the years and PP has always been an issue.  Someone who is not familiar with the buying and selling of gun parts and the like needs to be mentored.   All good otherwise.  Thanks for sharing.

Earl Cordova

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 09:52:26 am »
    What is ironic is I have a PayPal credit card and I can buy anything I want and get 2% cash back.
    Plus it has been my go to credit card since I received it because they have good service.

thom

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 11:01:47 am »
    What is ironic is I have a PayPal credit card and I can buy anything I want and get 2% cash back.
    Plus it has been my go to credit card since I received it because they have good service.
    How many times have you bought guns or ammo with that card?
    Thom
    Finally Retired
    AZCDL Life Member
    GOA
    NRA Life Member
    A politician is a fellow who wants you to lay down your life for his country.

Jagen

• Why do I end up next to "that guy" at the range???
    « Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 04:04:04 pm »
    I use GunBroker Pay in order to avoid many of these issues.  The only drawback is, it can be a bit slow to transfer funds to and fro.  But, none of the PayPal "secrecy" just to sell and buy gun stuff.

As far as communicating directly with GunBroker is concerned, I've never been able to do it.  Any responses I've ever received have been form letters, usually not addressing the issue.
    "Your mouthwash ain't makin' it."

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 10:52:58 pm »
    I've had strange luck with paying for items on Gunbroker over the last few years.

For me the only way I've been able to make a Gunbroker payment via PayPal has been as a Gift (no mention of what is being purchased or that a purchase is being made). Using PayPal in it's normal mode seems to set off those klaxons when firearms purchases are being made.

What's more annoying is that the last couple of times I paid for items using Gunbroker Pay, I've almost immediately gotten attempted fraud charges against the credit card I use for online payments only.

I've gotten so annoyed with all of the weirdness that the last firearm I purchased on Gunbroker was paid for old skool.  I called the seller's business and arranged to over night them a postal money order.

I honestly can't prove that Gunbroker Pay is to blame but I'm tired of having my Credit Union cancel my card and issue me a new one. After all, every it happens I need  to change the card number on those few creditors who still require credit card numbers.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement