Username: Password:

Author Topic: Gun safe in the garage in PHX summer?  (Read 1060 times)

PogoJack

• Contributor
  • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
Gun safe in the garage in PHX summer?
« on: February 27, 2021, 02:33:36 pm »
Been thinking of getting a Bighorn or Cannon safe in the garage for truck guns, which are usually AR platform.

What will happen to an AR if it's stored in the PHX weather where it gets to 120+ in the garage for 3-4 months?

Can they take it?  Really curious about this one. What about a wood and steel gun?

Thanks for your input.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Mr. Nobody

• Trigger warning: I'm not PC.
    • Contributor
    Re: Gun safe in the garage in PHX summer?
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 03:07:19 pm »
    I don't know about heat, BUT it would also depend from my perspective how safe your garage and home are.

My area, we do get ass clowns robbing garages and such... just a thought. A big safe might make an obvious target to people coming and going, presuming you open and close your garage or park inside, etc.

Hope that helps.
    There is nothing more deceptive then an obvious fact. - Sherlock Holmes

Memento Mori

DClayton

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 03:33:03 pm »
    Heat is no issue. Guns don’t love humidity, you’ll be fine for that in Phoenix. I just throw a couple of the water absorbing desiccant beads in there to absorb any moisture that does get in.

Ammo on the other hand lives in the house. Sealed in tubs. Ammo is a hell of a lot more tough then people give it credit for. But I still wouldn’t want to bake it at 130+ for year after year

People will steal and rob no matter what. To get my safe out of the shed they would have to literally remove one of the walls. While I don’t put this past someone, good on you if you get away with it.

Woodenword

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 03:49:54 pm »
    I’ve stored guns and thousands of rounds of ammo in a garage in the valley for 30 years.  However, I haven't stored guns with wood stocks in the garage, till the house I’m in now.  The garage is insulated, so it should be fine.  Safes have always been bolted down, and I have security cameras too.

JK357

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 04:45:21 pm »
    You could get a mini split AC for the garage. I have one in this house and the last house never got above 90 even with two hot cars pulling in

Dullahan

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 05:13:46 pm »
    Can't be any worse for them than keeping them in a vehicle. I've had a revolver in my truck's glove box and a wood-stocked AK in its cabin for years and years. No harm done to either summer after summer.
    "This gun is Liberty. Hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery." - Toussaint L'Ouverture

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 05:25:57 pm »
    I have a gun safe in my garage.  Based on my experience you'll encounter minimal issues with keeping firearms in it.

From talking to a couple of different gun safe movers, neither had any concern with the idea of securing a gun safe in a garage. Between the weight of the safe and the car parked in front of it, it's highly unlikely that the safe is gonna get moved.  In terms of someone stealing from the safe, my house has an alarm system along with video surveillance.  If the wannabe robber wants  to spend quality time in prison, I can likely provide PD with both video and still photo evidence of an attempted robbery.

I also fitted monitors in each of my safes to allow me to monitor temperature and humidity. The humidity inside my garage safe tends to hover around 25% in the summer and the temperature is in the 80's.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

• Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 05:35:26 pm »
    I have a gun safe in my garage.  Based on my experience you'll encounter minimal issues with keeping firearms in it.

From talking to a couple of different gun safe movers, neither had any concern with the idea of securing a gun safe in a garage. Between the weight of the safe and the car parked in front of it, it's highly unlikely that the safe is gonna get moved.  In terms of someone stealing from the safe, my house has an alarm system along with video surveillance.  If the wannabe robber wants  to spend quality time in prison, I can likely provide PD with both video and still photo evidence of an attempted robbery.

I also fitted monitors in each of my safes to allow me to monitor temperature and humidity. The humidity inside my garage safe tends to hover around 25% in the summer and the temperature is in the 80's.
    This is a perfect example that it is no problem.

Bayonet

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 07:27:31 pm »
    During Monsoon season it would be good to check on the guns from time to time and make sure you have a good dehumidifier. When we lived in Tennessee the humidity was bad. I kept a DampRid bag in my safe and I had to change it out often. Here in AZ it's not so much an issue but defiantly during Monsoon season when the humidity level is higher just check on them. I don't know how your garage is set up, but one side of our garage gets a lot of sun light during the day. If you are concerned with the heat I would suggest to avoid putting a safe up next to a wall that is being baked by the sun for hours during the day. So if you can locate the safe in an area that isn't getting as much sun and heat exposure that might help take off a couple of degrees with the temperature. 
    « Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 07:34:01 pm by Bayonet »

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 08:32:00 pm »
    When you say "Truck guns," I'm assuming that these are beaters and working guns that you will remove from the vehicle at night and lock up and then in the morning, throw them in the truck and go.  So they will really only be spending nights, maybe a few nights, in the garage.  Right?  I think the firearms, especially all metal firearms will be fine.  My concern is the ammo.

If you keep the chamber empty and then just take the mag in with you, you should be OK leaving it on the night stand.

That heat won't warp your rifles, but it may shorten the life of any red dot or other battery powered optics.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

PogoJack

• Contributor
    • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
    « Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 02:40:51 pm »
    Thanks for the great advice,  everyone!

Indeed the proposed idea of the safe is for locking up truck guns overnight or when out of town.  I've got a lot of real time monitoring and defenses, so not too worried about getting things stolen out of my garage.

More concern about the effects of a hot garage on my guns.  Sounds like a metal and plastic AR would be hood to go for my needs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

rjinaz86323

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 04:23:24 pm »
    Had my safe in garage for years. No adverse effects

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kptaylor

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 08:30:08 am »
    Can't be any worse for them than keeping them in a vehicle. I've had a revolver in my truck's glove box and a wood-stocked AK in its cabin for years and years. No harm done to either summer after summer.

Exactly! The safe will be "cooler" than being locked in the truck out in the sun in the summer. No issues.

RJ

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 05:58:40 pm »
    20ft container with stuff in it, about 15 years, no issue every so far, knock on wood

medved

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 09:34:37 am »
    You could get a mini split AC for the garage. I have one in this house and the last house never got above 90 even with two hot cars pulling in

That exactly what I did. Put in a 2 ton commercial Diaken split unit and have a 5 ton Goodman unit for the house. Garage has insulted ceilings and door. Never gets above 82 degrees which is where I set the summer temp and heat set at 70 in the winter months. But don't have safe in my garage. Only ammo, reloading supplies and bench in garage. Be aware some garages have stressed floors and safe can't be mounted with out doing structural damage to the floor.
    « Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:39:25 am by medved »

az chip

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2021, 04:47:59 pm »
    That exactly what I did. Put in a 2 ton commercial Diaken split unit and have a 5 ton Goodman unit for the house. Garage has insulted ceilings and door. Never gets above 82 degrees which is where I set the summer temp and heat set at 70 in the winter months. But don't have safe in my garage. Only ammo, reloading supplies and bench in garage. Be aware some garages have stressed floors and safe can't be mounted with out doing structural damage to the floor.

I have heard you can if you get the floor x-rayed for the rebar locations. Wonder what that would cost?  :shocked

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #16 on: April 05, 2021, 04:52:01 pm »
    ReBar isn't the issue.  It's the Post Tension Cables.  And both should be about 6" deep if not deeper..

1. Find out if you even have a Post Tension Slab
    2. Locate Post Tension Cables (should be evident outside where they patched the slab).
    3. Don't drill into the Post Tension Cables - stay between them or shallower than.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #17 on: April 05, 2021, 07:41:12 pm »
    Yeah, the post tension slabs aren't really an obstacle to anchoring a gun safe. I live in a community that's exclusively built with post tension slabs.  Several have simply measured the distances between cables imbedded into the slab and drilled holes for anchors.  The cables are easy to locate from the circles on the sides of the foundation.

Alternatively, if someone is still uncomfortable with drilling into a post tension slab another option is to use industrial epoxy to literally glue the safe to the floor. Done right its just as effective albeit rather permanent.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Woodenword

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2021, 08:15:37 pm »
    I’ve heard all the stories about ruining the slab if you try and drill into a post tension slab.  How someone could be killed if you drilled into a cable.  I measured mine and the cable jacket/tubes are 3 inches deep.  I drilled and installed 2 inch inserts. Not a problem.

cool arrow

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 10:53:47 am »
    I have 3 of the BigHorn safes, and have never had any problems with them.

For the money, they do a good job. I think they are a hair over 450lbs empty and can be bolted down or to a wall.

There have been numerous debates about them throughout the years here on the board, but I like them.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement