Username: Password:

Author Topic: ISO Recommendations: Jerry Cans and Gasoline / Petrol Storage  (Read 470 times)

GTGallop

• N5MKH
  • Administrator
    • QRZ - N5MKH
Once again I find myself re-examining my gas storage situation.  Over time my chief complaint has been the ever changing shape and size of the common Jerry Can.  I'd like to standardize on a shape / size / dimension.  Currently I have standardized on the NATO 20L/5G can and I have one.  Just one.  But I'd like two or three more.

The problem is that
1. They don't really breathe so they burp gas - probably something that will be common with all.
2. They have gotten pretty expensive, even the cheapo knockoffs.
3. They don't always have the same mouth / spout on them and the online pics make it hard to tell on some of the ads.

But I see people that go out in the desert and run motorcycles, quads, and SxS's using these "Racing Gas Cans" that look like some form of white / translucent material with a hose on them for easy dispensing.  I wonder if I'm not clinging too hard to an out of date technology in my gas can selection.  What are these cans people are running and are they better?  Are they standardized?

My primary use is carrying a reserve when I off-road or go into the back-country maybe for a day or maybe for a week of camping and off-roading.  Secondarily is disaster preps.  I have managed to make enough trips to to a Maverick Station that carries Ethanol Free Gas that I can fill up with the E-0 and I use a stabilizer on a semi annual rotation schedule.

What are you using for gasoline storage?
Does it work well?
What would you change?
Recommendations?
The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Earl Cordova

Re: ISO Recommendations: Jerry Cans and Gasoline / Petrol Storage
    « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 12:18:01 pm »
    IMO Scepter makes the best gas cans.
    They are a Canadian company and sell all over the world.

What I standardized on is no longer made, but purchased then on eBay from a place on the Isle of Man in Great Britain.
    The were cheaper shipped, than from a guy selling them in Connecticut.

TyrantT86

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 12:32:13 pm »
    Check out Torco Race Fuel.....
    They've got a unleaded 94 octane w/ no ethanol.
    Up to 1 year of storage!

https://torcoracefuel.net/products/torco-storage-fuel

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 06:23:33 am »
    Thanks Earl and Tyrant!

I looked at the Torco Race Fuel - seems like a smart product but ultimately not what I'm looking for.  I'm creating the same thing but for less.  Much less.  Stabil in E-0 gas should be good for a while.

Spent a good 30 minutes looking at Scepter's gas cans last night and getting nerdy about storing gasoline.  I like some of the products they offer.  Might end up tracking down some of their cans around town.

This is what a neighbor has in his garage (no logo on his).  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpr-3522
    I didn't realize it was built for quick fuel ups in a pitstop scenario.  Not a criteria I have.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 10:03:04 am »
    When I lived in Colorado and explored the backcountry in the mountains with 4x4's I used to carry extra fuel in GI Jerry Cans.  I had several and even had a couple of them painted to match my truck's color.  But I always hated using the sloppy, cumbersome things and when I left to move to AZ I sold them all off.

Once here I stated exploring the deserts searching for old WWII airplane crash sites and found I needed the insurance of having a little extra fuel along just in case. So I went with the racing jugs and found that these modern plastic fuel jugs developed for motorsports are the way to go.  They are easy to use as they're lightweight and nicely vented plus are very cheap.  I use the ones from Jeg's which are likely the same as those from Summit. 

So here's another source.
    https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResultsPageCmd?N=3001076&Ntt=fuel+jug
    « Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:05:10 am by brandyspaw »
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

tunnug

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 03:03:12 pm »
    I was over at Tractor supply about a week ago and they had those same jugs without any labeling for $20, I asked if they were special purchase or were they going to start carrying them, they told me it was a new product they were going to have, the jugs included a spout, exactly what I have and use for my quad.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 08:45:19 pm »
    Yeah thinking more about those plastic jugs and at $20 each, I can get 3 for the price of one GI-Jerry Metal Can.

JT

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 08:12:27 am »
    For about $70 you can get a battery powered transfer pump. Mostly used on boats to eliminate spills. Amazon has them.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement