Username: Password:

Author Topic: Changing barrel length?  (Read 2111 times)

brucea4

Changing barrel length?
« on: March 29, 2021, 01:00:12 pm »
Hi gang,

What paperwork is involved with changing to a shorter barrel on, for example, a registered M16 rifle with a 20 inch barrel if any?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

delta6

Re: Changing barrel length?
    « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 01:01:20 pm »
    None.. as long as it is not permanent.
    You work hard, discover that success is not a destination but rather a road you travel upon....

cool arrow

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 03:10:25 pm »
    Gil knows more about this, I don't remember listing barrel length on my last 2 SBR's, but after reading your post, I think you mean on MG's, not SBR's?
    « Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 03:20:41 pm by cool arrow »
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” G.K. Chesterton

brucea4

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 05:27:57 pm »
    Yes, a MG.

brucea4

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 05:30:04 pm »
    None.. as long as it is not permanent.

No, just switching to a complete upper assembly with a shorter barrel length less than 16 in...

cool arrow

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 06:19:19 pm »
    ah, interesting question, it would then become an SBR.

separate stamp, Delta?

seems to me that Uncle Sugar would want another $200...
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” G.K. Chesterton

delta6

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 07:17:37 pm »
    ah, interesting question, it would then become an SBR.

separate stamp, Delta?

seems to me that Uncle Sugar would want another $200...

Once a MG, always a MG. The receiver dictates the stamp. Once an SBR.. well it is only an SBR when the barrel and OAL fall below the minimums. A machine gun, to change ownership has to have paperwork thru the BAT folks. A SBR, once you you remove the short barrel and place a 16" or more barrel on the firearm it is no longer a SBR. I have sold dozens of "papered" SBR's as title 1 firearms, by just replacing the barrel. The new owner of that firearm, if he wishes to place a short barrel on that firearm, has to file a new Form 1. The short version: MG's are always MG's, Straight..... SBR's can go either way :-P
    ... there is no such thing in the registry as a short barreled MG. Once it is classified as a MG, regardless of the barrel length, it is still a MG.
    You work hard, discover that success is not a destination but rather a road you travel upon....

cool arrow

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 09:21:40 pm »
    ^^^^ and info like this, is why I ask him all my class 3 questions  :thumbup

brucea4

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 10:41:13 am »
    Once a MG, always a MG. The receiver dictates the stamp. Once an SBR.. well it is only an SBR when the barrel and OAL fall below the minimums. A machine gun, to change ownership has to have paperwork thru the BAT folks. A SBR, once you you remove the short barrel and place a 16" or more barrel on the firearm it is no longer a SBR. I have sold dozens of "papered" SBR's as title 1 firearms, by just replacing the barrel. The new owner of that firearm, if he wishes to place a short barrel on that firearm, has to file a new Form 1. The short version: MG's are always MG's, Straight..... SBR's can go either way :-P
    ... there is no such thing in the registry as a short barreled MG. Once it is classified as a MG, regardless of the barrel length, it is still a MG.

So....what you are saying is if I take the standard 20 inched rifle upper off my NFA M16 and put a 11 inch upper on it for instance there is no additional required paperwork? 

delta6

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 10:51:06 am »
    So....what you are saying is if I take the standard 20 inched rifle upper off my NFA M16 and put a 11 inch upper on it for instance there is no additional required paperwork?
    That is correct. If you take any upper, 7", 11", 16", 20", etc off a registered M16 lower, it is still a MG. Makes no difference, unlike a SBR. With an SBR, when you remove the upper, the lower is no longer a SBR.

brucea4

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 11:09:35 am »
    Thank you sir!

delta6

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 11:15:01 am »
    So, show us a picture of that blaster with the new upper :woot

brucea4

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 02:02:57 pm »
    OK, as soon as I get sir....

brucea4

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 09:21:53 am »
    Here's a pic....can't wait to shoot it...

delta6

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 09:38:10 am »
    brucea4
    Cool.. :thumbup

pcmacd

• Are we there yet?
    « Reply #15 on: December 31, 2021, 07:02:56 pm »

That satisfies the head scratching I've been doing about acquiring a short barreled MG with a can.

I wondered why there were not THREE tax stamps involved?

Thanks.  Now I know.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement