Username: Password:

Author Topic: If you do not have a C&R do you need an FFL for a CMP Garand?  (Read 348 times)

PogoJack

• Contributor
  • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
Many years ago  I was under the impression that one could purchase a CMP Garand and receive it directly via FedEX. Is this only true in 2021 if you have an FFL or C&R?

If it is true,  is this somewhat of a unique status? I understand CMP has their own vetting process for eligibility.

I am not a Garand owner (yet) but wanted to know about shipping arrangements should that change.

Thanks everyone for your knowledge!!

Edit: FAQ from CMP here: https://thecmp.org/faq/do-rifles-need-to-be-shipped-to-a-licensed-dealer/

DO RIFLES NEED TO BE SHIPPED TO A LICENSED DEALER?
September 16, 2014

MPORTANT: If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your license, permit, or card with the application for purchase. Rifle shipments to WA, NY, NJ and CT must be made to a state licensed dealer. You must provide a copy of the dealer’s license with your order form.

WA, NY, NJ and CT customers who have already mailed their rifle orders to CMP should provide [email protected] with dealer information or order cancellation instructions. Information can also be faxed to 256-835-3527 or mailed to CMP Customer Service, (Attn: FFL Order), 1401 Commerce Blvd., Anniston, AL 36207.

They seem to run a NICS check.

https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/eligibility-requirements/

The information you supply on your application will be submitted by the CMP to the FBI National Instant Criminal Check System (NICS) to verify you are not prohibited by Federal, State or Local law from acquiring or possessing a rifle. Your signature on the Purchaser Certification portion of the purchase application authorizes the CMP to initiate the NICS check and authorizes the FBI to inform CMP of the result.

A signed and notarized form 2A for each customer will need to provided for any item purchased.

and finally this wording:

https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/eligibility-requirements/#important-requirements

If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a certificate, license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your certificate, license, permit, or card with the application for purchase.

They then go on to list those states where you need to have it shipped to a dealer and/or have a permit to own a firearm.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 07:40:52 am by PogoJack »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Earl Cordova

Re: If you do not have a C&R do you need an FFL for a CMP Garand?
    « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 06:28:43 am »
    If it crosses state lines it has to go through a FFL.

h8pvmnt

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 07:36:01 am »
    I have purchased 3 CMP Rifles all have been shipped directly to me without FFL involvement. I had to send them D/L and proof of membership in a NRA or CMP sanctioned shooting club or participation in a CMP Garand Match. Rio used to hold them once a month to qualify.  Rio Salado in Mesa membership has always sufficed. It has been about 8 years now so rules could have changed.

PogoJack

• Contributor
    • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
    « Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 09:22:01 am »
    I don't think that any fed laws have changed since 2014 but I will check in with them and see if I can get the straight dope.

Fight club.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement