Username: Password:

Author Topic: Registering a new car in AZ  (Read 1677 times)

Casswick

Registering a new car in AZ
« on: April 07, 2021, 03:16:17 pm »
So I've currently have a shitty old truck with even shittier CA plates on it.

I can't remember the last time I even had to register a older car, what's the process to get this done in Maricopa Co?

Insurance > smog > DMV?

Smog > Insurance > DMV?

Anyone know a guy for cut rate bare bottom insurance?
"...the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging and kicking them into obedience." —Aldous Huxley to George Orwell

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

• Contributor
    Re: Registering a new car in AZ
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 06:33:12 pm »
    Smog - Depends on the age of the truck.
    Insurance - I assume you have insurance today.
    DMV - Go to an independent DMV.  It's worth the additional $25

GTGallop

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 09:34:10 pm »
    ^^^ Yup! ^^^

patkelly4370

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 01:32:08 am »
    When we move here (Mohave County)3 years ago I walked in to MVD with no appointment. Registered two pickups (68 & 07), a car (92) and a motorcycle (78).
    In and out in 10 minutes.
    Mohave County doesn't smog.
    Drivers license was a different story.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Casswick

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 12:15:34 am »
    How much ya'll paying for minimum liability plus uninsured motorist?

I've learned that uninsured motorist coverage won't fix your car in the event an illegal hit and runs you.  :doh
    "...the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging and kicking them into obedience." —Aldous Huxley to George Orwell

patkelly4370

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 12:31:41 am »

I've learned that uninsured motorist coverage won't fix your car in the event an illegal hit and runs you.  :doh
    If anyone hits and "runs", how does one determine their legal status other than assumption?

Casswick

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 12:42:15 am »
    If anyone hits and "runs", how does one determine their legal status other than assumption?

OK, it won't cover me in the event anyone hit and runs me.

patkelly4370

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 12:43:31 am »
    OK, it won't cover me in the event anyone hit and runs me.
    Dashcam

GTGallop

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 05:36:45 am »
    Bingo!  I'm not ready to recommend this one yet.  I want to see if the AZ Summer melts it off the windshield like the last two but so far it has held up longer and looks to be better.

https://www.amazon.com/Rexing-Dashboard-Recorder-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B00X528FNE/ref=sr_1_3?crid=31DXT6ZKWHUEA&dchild=1&keywords=rexing+dash+cam&qid=1617971773&sprefix=Rexing+%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-3

Edit to Add - Nothing happens in the footage above.  It's just a sample of the cam video quality.  If you are watching it waiting on an accident or something, you are going to be disappointed.  Just a guy out for a leisurely morning drive in his truck.
    « Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 05:42:22 am by GTGallop »

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 11:00:28 pm »

Back when I lived in Yuma (NOTE: this was 20 years ago), getting into a fender bender with a Mexican National in an uninsured car happened more often than people would want to believe.

Because Yuma was so close to the border, many residents of San Luis would cross the border from Sonora into the US to go shopping. Rarely did they ever buy American Insurance.  Unfortunately there was not a check at the border for proof of insurance. According to the husband of a co-worker back then who was a Yuma County Deputy, they'd typically just remove whatever they bought from the car and start walking towards the border. Given the cost of used cars on the Mexican side of the border, it was apparently cheaper for them to just replace the car rather than insure it.  :facepalm

I've been on the receiving end of two fender benders over the years here in Phoenix. Both ended up being uninsured motorists. Each time I ended up having to fight with my own insurance company to get reimbursed for the damage.  :cursing
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Casswick

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 05:34:58 pm »
    So...... What are ya'll paying?

The lowest I've been quoted for the aforementioned is $375/6 months.

GTGallop

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 05:54:57 pm »
    $702.73 6 Month Premium Comprehensive with USAA on a 2019 Ranger Truck.

patkelly4370

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 09:43:01 pm »
    I pay $170/mo for 2 pickups, 2 SUVs (both full coverage until paid off), and one motorcycle.

Casswick

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 12:30:36 am »
    I'm surprised the rates here are not much different from Los Angeles!

CZ

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 08:29:04 am »
    I pay around $700 for 6 months on a Tahoe and a Mitsubishi with USAA  it is $300 cheaper than Reno was.

Ryan

• Well Done Is Better Then Well Said
    « Reply #15 on: April 24, 2021, 10:20:38 am »
    yea how in the hell does that work? the AZ DMV website thing confuses the living hell out of me lol

Only been out here for 1 week and I want my Az license so I can go pick up some new guns. Otherwise I'd just act like I live in California cuz my insurance is actually cheaper in CA then AZ (go figure lol)

When we move here (Mohave County)3 years ago I walked in to MVD with no appointment. Registered two pickups (68 & 07), a car (92) and a motorcycle (78).
    In and out in 10 minutes.
    Mohave County doesn't smog.
    Drivers license was a different story.

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

patkelly4370

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2021, 11:05:58 am »
    yea how in the hell does that work? the AZ DMV website thing confuses the living hell out of me lol

Only been out here for 1 week and I want my Az license so I can go pick up some new guns. Otherwise I'd just act like I live in California cuz my insurance is actually cheaper in CA then AZ (go figure lol)
    I'm a truck driver. With hazmat endorsement.
    The hazmat plays havoc with "the system" when getting the "travel" license.
    The clerk said there were a dozen or so work arounds to get it to go through.
    Unfortunately, he enters info until it locks up. Then has to start over from the beginning and try the next hack. Each time takes about 20 minutes.
    He was getting pissed. He apologized for cussing, but I completely understood.
    Took 9 attempts.

Ryan

• Well Done Is Better Then Well Said
    « Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 11:12:00 am »
    oh! yea you're in a whole different realm then lol

I actually worked for Kenworth and now returned to Cummins so I'm very aware of the hoops truckers have to jump through for everything. Specially in california with their bullshit aftertreatment systems and 90-day bit inspections and all that crap

I'm a truck driver. With hazmat endorsement.
    The hazmat plays havoc with "the system" when getting the "travel" license.
    The clerk said there were a dozen or so work arounds to get it to go through.
    Unfortunately, he enters info until it locks up. Then has to start over from the beginning and try the next hack. Each time takes about 20 minutes.
    He was getting pissed. He apologized for cussing, but I completely understood.
    Took 9 attempts.

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement