Username: Password:

Author Topic: Phoenix to Flagstaff  (Read 3167 times)

patkelly4370

Phoenix to Flagstaff
« on: April 09, 2021, 07:25:43 am »
I don't know what it is about this 100 mile stretch, but I hate it.
I do it once a week (one way).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Earl Cordova

Re: Phoenix to Flagstaff
    « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 07:41:43 am »
    At least it is not as bad as going to Yuma.

spafxer

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 07:46:42 am »
    Love the road, HATE the drivers/traffic !

patkelly4370

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 08:18:21 am »
    That's where I come from every week, lol.
    Bullhead City to Phoenix (noon Wed).
    Next day Phoenix (delivery) to Yuma (pick-up) to Ganado/Chambers.
    Then Chambers, AZ to Greensburg, KS.
    Greensburg to Lebo, KS (swap trailers) and back to Texhoma, OK.
    Texhoma to somewhere between mid-NM, as far as Holbrook.
    Back to Bullhead before sunrise on Monday.
    Every week.

Mr. Nobody

• #FJB
    • Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 01:06:37 pm »
    I don't know what it is about this 100 mile stretch, but I hate it.
    I do it once a week (one way).

For me, it's the absolute fools on the roads. I've gone up and back a few times. The idiots is what makes it bothersome. Plus Flagstaff just seems full of liberals and weirdos.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
    ― Mark Twain

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."
    - George Carlin

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

patkelly4370

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 06:01:55 pm »
    I also go east to west through Flagstaff every week and it's not the same.
    Even coming up 17 in the wee hours and there's no traffic, still just don't like it.
    There are a few pleasant places to park if I run out of hours. Rest area at Rimrock for one.
    Weird.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 11:19:26 pm »
    Its a tough stretch of road going either direction.  I always felt the worst of it was between McGuireville and Phoenix as the traffic seems heavier and if you're running at 75 mph there's a steady stream of drivers going past you at 85-90 mph.  That stretch between Cordes Junction and New River may be the worst of it as the traffic coming in from Az. route 69 can be heavy - particularly on the weekends. 

Throw in some heavy weather during the monsoon season or a winter storm and things can get stupid out there in a hurry.   :smh    I think if more people actually had to see what happens to the occupants of a passenger vehicle in a high speed collision/rollover it might slow them down a bit - or at least temper some of the aggression. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

patkelly4370

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 11:37:27 pm »
    I'm in an 18-wheeler, governed to 65mph, always northbound.

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 08:54:58 am »

IMO this is dependent on which route you take to Yuma.  The stretch of I-8 between Casa Grande and Yuma is the most utterly BORING drive. I-8 between Gila Bend and Yuma is worse. On the plus side, the road is fairly straight and in tolerable condition. On the down side, it's literally a drive through featureless open desert for 100+ miles. On this route, it's easy to lose focus. DPS apparently knows this as I've seen lots of cops hanging out just waiting for drivers on this highway.  It actually seemed worse on the Commiefornia side as there'd regularly be groups of cops hanging out and waiting for speeders on an overpass near Felicity (Winterhaven).

An alternative route to Yuma is to drive south on US95 between Quartzsite and Yuma. During the day this route is somewhat less boring a drive. During snowbird season, however, you can expect carloads of snowbirds (also motorhomes) driving back and forth between Yuma and Quartzsite (out of boredom?). Traffic on this road gets REALLY BAD during the annual Quartzsite Gem show.  Too damn many snowbird vehicles driving under the speed limit bunched up.  Driving to/from YPG for work in the winter was never a fun experience.  At night, however, the road has significantly more potential for problems due to the nocturnal critters from the KOFA animal refuge that occasionally wander out onto the road looking for food. Another potential impediment on this road during the winter was the occasional trophy hunter who'd park halfway on/off the road, exit their car, and hop one of the barbed wire fences onto YPG to look for knick knacks. The husband of a former YPG co-worker of mine once told me that his agency (Yuma County Sheriff's office) and YPD got calls several times a year to deal with unexploded ordinance sitting on some snowbirds coffee table.

A third route I found to get to/from Yuma was to take I-10 to the SR85 turn-off. Take SR85 south to Gila Bend. Transition onto the I-8 at Gila Bend. This route isn't quite as boring though there are way too many transitions and speed limit restrictions. From what I recall, the speed limit also leaves a LOT to be desired.

In the five years I lived in Yuma, I likely traveled each of these routes dozens of times out of utter boredom. For long haul drivers, I'm thinking I-8 is, by far, the most well traveled route. US95 is likely doable but it's only a 2-lane highway. And the SR85 route would just plain suck to drive.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Casswick

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 12:34:12 am »
    Could be worse, Phoenix to LA at least twice a month gets tedious.

When I first did this drive nearly a decade ago, there was about a 2 hour period of no cell service before and after Blythe. Now there is 4G service the entire length of the I10. I just put my phone in the instrument cluster and let YouTube play. Two episodes of Joe Rogan or Tim Pool and I'm home.
    « Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 01:15:52 am by Casswick »
    "...the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging and kicking them into obedience." —Aldous Huxley to George Orwell

patkelly4370

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 12:43:00 am »
    Monday morning I get back to Bullhead from Kansas.
    Monday afternoon (my day off) I'm shuttling a trailer to Ontario and back.
    I-40 to Barstow is boring, but doesn't bother me like 17 to Flagstaff.
    I-15 Tejon Pass is a PIA that may prevent me from getting back home.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 08:47:46 am »
    I-17 near Sunset Point is horrible.  Always seems to have a motorhome burning up there in the summer months.  Then the massive back ups.  Its almost like its a Bermuda Triangle kind of thing since so many motorhomes catch fire and burn the dry grass around the area.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

patkelly4370

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 02:11:21 pm »
    About to leave Yuma and head up through Flagstaff.
    AGAIN
    Probably stop for the night at the rest area in Rimrock, though I could make Winslow.

AZ Husker

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 02:08:36 pm »
    The worst part about I-17 is there are virtually no other options when it's closed down for an accident.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 10:51:34 am »
    Yup.  Some of those paths, especially the ones on dirt, get kind of iffy when you're in a passenger car.  The old highway into Prescott is kind of nice when you're not in a hurry but it too can be troublesome if the weather is nasty.  There's a few places in Arizona where the old adage, " You can't get there from here." applies.    ;-)
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 11:49:21 am »
    Driving state route 89 between Congress and Prescott is definitely an "interesting" experience.  :whistle

Not too long back I looked at a piece of property in Kirkland.  Had it not been for that old two lane road, I might have actually considered buying the property. Given that I still have a job in the Phoenix area, I just couldn't see spending two hours on that road to try to get down the hill. For that long of a commute I think I'd lean towards a property in Crown King instead.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

PogoJack

• Contributor
    • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
    « Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 04:24:01 am »
    I semi-dread the summer months when we get visitors who want to see Sedona or the Grand Canyon.  That means I-17 and the insane drivers on that stretch from Black Canyon City to  Cordes Lakes.

One July we were caught up in the traffic from a fatality near Sunset Point. It took nearly 2 hours to pass through. Add to that monsoon weather and it isn't the best time.

I don't like that stretch of I-8 from SR-84 near Maricopa to Gila bend.

I don't mind the drive to Yuma from Gila Bend too much.
    « Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 04:27:21 am by PogoJack »

patkelly4370

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 04:29:10 am »
    Doing Yuma to Flagstaff (and beyond) this morning.
    Left Yuma around 01:30. Now fuelling in Buckeye.
    At least I'm light. 69,000 lbs.

patkelly4370

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2021, 07:24:06 pm »
    Making "that drive" pre-Memorial Day weekend.
    I understand that the scamdemic is over, but I'm trying to work delivering the food everyone eats.

JK357

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2021, 09:41:46 pm »
    Thanks for what you do, drivers are underrated. :thumbup

patkelly4370

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2021, 06:03:42 pm »
    YAY! No I-17 this week.
    Doing a different (my old) route to El Paso then to KS.

hurley842002

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2021, 08:29:32 pm »
    I'm in an 18-wheeler, governed to 65mph, always northbound.

Hopefully you aren’t one of those guys that try’s to pass another 18 wheeler going 60mph on an uphill road, just to reach that 65mph mark, only to block all other traffic for 10 minutes on a posted 75mph stretch of highway…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hurley842002

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2021, 08:34:40 pm »
    IMO this is dependent on which route you take to Yuma.  The stretch of I-8 between Casa Grande and Yuma is the most utterly BORING drive. I-8 between Gila Bend and Yuma is worse. On the plus side, the road is fairly straight and in tolerable condition. On the down side, it's literally a drive through featureless open desert for 100+ miles. On this route, it's easy to lose focus. DPS apparently knows this as I've seen lots of cops hanging out just waiting for drivers on this highway.  It actually seemed worse on the Commiefornia side as there'd regularly be groups of cops hanging out and waiting for speeders on an overpass near Felicity (Winterhaven).

I’ve had the opposite experience on the 8, so much so, that I prefer the 8 to the 10 when traveling to San Bernardino county because I can usually make up or surpass the extra 45 minute drive that maps claims.

patkelly4370

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2021, 05:01:33 am »
    I'd rather drive from Tucson to Flag than to have to stop anywhere in El-P.
    I've never had any problems at my El Paso stop.
    I'm a couple blocks in from the northern city limits and usually only there for an hour. Occasionally overnight.
    I've spent many nights in Compton, CA. Never had a problem there.
    As far as "bad places" and crime, never has been a problem. Just the freeways and normal idiot drivers.
    I-17 to Flagstaff isn't really the drivers that bug me. Not really sure what it is.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #24 on: July 14, 2021, 12:20:39 pm »
    Hopefully you aren’t one of those guys that try’s to pass another 18 wheeler going 60mph on an uphill road, just to reach that 65mph mark, only to block all other traffic for 10 minutes on a posted 75mph stretch of highway…

Interesting point of view you have there.  Traveling along a highway at 60+ mph, in the direction you intend to go, is described as being "blocked" .  .  .  ?  I can only assume your objection to a vehicle limited to 65 mph overtaking and passing a slower moving vehicle is because you feel, in some way, inconvenienced?   :hmm   

Hopefully you aren't one of those guys that routinely drives 85-90 mph, tailgates anyone you think isn't driving fast enough to suit you, and generally drives in an overtly aggressive and unsafe manner.   I " . . . and all other traffic . . . " have been "blocked" for a lot longer than 10 minutes waiting for emergency crews to clear the wreckage when one of those guys meets his inevitable end.   :coffee
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement